1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

For me personally, it depends on the last. I now will only buy Barrie or Trubalance lasted boots with a close heel. On other lasts, I think the 360-welt looks good. My Barrie lasted boots with the 360-welt make the heels of my boots feel ginormously wide. Live and learn. So I went with Leffot's NatCXL PCT boots precisely because of the close heel.

2. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

I should expect an e-mail soon, then. My original ship date was to be 12/8/2013. I, too, had used a code.

Darn, I wish I had known that earlier today. I might have been more aggressive on an Ebay auction for a pair of Marlow PTBs this AM. I was a little worried that both pairs would be arriving at about the same time.

3. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

Have you guys seen this make-up? I absolutely love this. The eyelets, the commando sole, the natCXL, the Barrie. But I already have a version from Epaulet.

[​IMG]

4. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I had a pair of Indys on order that I got with the 25% off code. (still backordered)
    I realized that they would be too redundant, so I called last week, and they let me cancel and use the 25% off the Natty CXLs.

5. Terpo

Terpo Senior member

Anyone know how the Grant last compares to Loake's Capital last? I am a 10UK in the Capital, what size Grand should I be looking at?

6. meishoudaole

meishoudaole New Member

good,Plaza last you can stay the same sizeOr even better go to Gary's at Fascist Island and TRY ON SOME ALDENS foo
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  7. haiglarsen

haiglarsen Well-Known Member

A similar thing happened to me with those shoes. Don't give up hope!

8. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Please explain how this talk of uncle makes you uncomfortable. I mean, it's not like he's taking photos of his junk or any such deviant things. Uncle has some seriously badass makeups, and you would do well to hold your tongue young whippersnapper!

9. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ I also don't understand how you can be too intimidated to participate in a thread anonymously with made up handles. Sorry but are you able to leave the house with that approach?

10. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

cigar
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Insert the "yelling" that he was originally referring to. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. N YMutt

N YMutt Member

A salesman in the Madison Avenue store gave me this explanation, which seems plausible if you think about the whole market, and not justf those of us who take an unusually keen interest in adding dimension to our show collections. He said that Alden has become hot and Alden is selling as many pairs of black and No. 8 as it can make, so they are not keen to spend factory time on shoes that appeal only to certain market segments. If is true, it makes sense from a businessman's point of view. Disappointing for us, but not mystifying or nefarious. Which is not to say that they don't get a fair benefit from the buzz they create about when other colors will hit the stores.

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Clearly this salesman that you spoke to is part of the conspiracy and only offered this explanation as a cover-up to throw you off the scent.

Edit: I wonder if they have a greater margin on black and #8 than they do exotic colors. I wonder if they have a greater margin on shell vs suede, calf, or CXL.

14. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

It would be interesting to see what the cost of manufacturing is between black/color 8 and the the exotic shells. The exotic colors certainly cost more at retail, so I wonder how much more it costs Alden to manufacture those.

EDIT: I guess this is pretty much the same question you just asked, because once you have the manufacturing costs, you could just compare that to the retail pricing to figure out their margin.

15. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I would check J Gilbert.

16. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

I doubt Alden has additional costs incurred by the exotics. They buy their shells from Horween, who grades them by usable size, and I imagine that Alden dyes their custom colors themselves.

Maybe they need to swap out some materials for a day to do exotic dyes....but really, it's just simple supply/demand. The shells needed for the exotics are rarer than others, and the price is raised to reflect it.

17. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I figured the only possible chance of the exotics costing more to manufacture would be due to the fact that they are manufactured in smaller quantities. Alden churns out far more black and color 8 shell, so maybe it costs less per shoe when they're making those.

18. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Random question: how do you guys get your marketplace items to show up in your sigs? I'm selling a couple pairs to fund a LWB purchase and I suppose it would help.

• 9D snuff blucher on Leydon (single waterloc sole)
    • 8.5D chromexcel Blucher, Barrie last (leather sole/rubber heel)

19. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

Very well could be the case.

But shell is shell, and unless they're doing a special makeup I'm not sure if there's much of a difference.

If everything's being done by hand, there aren't really manufacturing delays for things like switching molds/dies.

20. stevent

stevent Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.