1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Would some Barrie size 12 guy purchase the last #8 LWB at jcrew.com?

I have this faint hope that when that last pair sells they'll restock a full complement of sizes.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Not sure who has yelled at you or anyone else that has asked about this over the last year and a half. I have never sensed anyone feeling uncomfortable here over the issue of the uncle-nephew exchanges, but I will not presume to tell you (or anyone else here) how you feel. You might consider doing the same. BTW, I am not yelling at you.

I also thought it was a little odd at first, but given my cultural background growing up in an immigrant-American community it wasn't hard to understand as all of the adults were called uncle and aunt by the young kids as a sign of respect. I'm in my 40s now and we all still maintain that practice. Given Mac's collection spanning several decades, his knowledge, and his method of shell care setting the standard, I don't think it's that big a deal. If it does truly creep you out, I'd suggest just ignoring it. You might look for posts from ArieGold in the near future. He will insist on you calling him grandpa, MacArthur included... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

I doubt it. There is literally 1 pair left and I had the cap toe on pre-order for this week and it's been pushed back to 2/2014. My indy boot has been pushed back to 1/2014. I think Alden x J. Crew is experiencing production delays on their more sought after pairs.

4. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

+1. I thought it was "odd" at first but it has become an endearing idiosyncrasy of this board and helps keep things interesting. Nobody who follows a shoe thread closely should get TOO worked up about quirkiness.

2 people like this.
  5. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

what size you looking to procure?

6. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Okay, "yell" was hyperbole of course. But gently scolded for criticizing something sacred. There are a lot of people who stay out of this thread completely, or stay quiet, (that would be me) because of how uncomfortable it makes them.

It also makes this thread very difficult to read, because almost all real discussion/questions get buried within minutes by the onslaught of "nice shoes nephew" "thank you uncle" posts. I mean, to each his own. I'm just the voice saying that not everyone on SF who loves Aldens thinks it's a quaint/cute thing, and that it actively hurts the ability for people to discuss Aldens in a meaningful way.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  7. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

The boot?? Oh, dear. I've got that one on pre-order, as well. Mine are supposed to ship in mid-December. I keep checking the J. Crew site in the hopes that Mickey and gang are going to exceed my expectations. Did you get an e-mail from them letting you know of the change in ship date?

8. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

kinda. Uncle Fester, right? And there is another dude that pops up every now andthen who dubs himself Grandfather. I am sure there Iis a Dog father lurking around here too.

amidst this peculiarity, however, is a very informative forum that is one of the most civil and helpful net fora you would hope to participate in. I hope you participate and enjoy it.

9. Bbombers85

Bbombers85 Senior member

Yep. Just got the email today. Original ship date was 11/20/2013. Now it's 02/10/2014.

The indy boot used to be 10/31/2013 and is now 01/20/2014. I lucked out and was able to use a 25% off promo on this one.

Waiting game continues while my wallet doesn't mind it.

10. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ Pretty outrageous that only a few days from the ship date, they tell you it will be another three month wait. I know there's only so much that can be done, but that seems like bad/sloppy customer service to me, no matter what the reason is. Surely they can let you know about the delay before that.

11. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

would have to assume that J.Crew is just working off an anticipated date that is given by Alden. Otherwise, they'd have to state 'delivery unknown" as we all know how Alden is with delivery dates

12. N E B

N E B Active Member

Man, after a lot of hunting, I found myself a pair of ravello LWB! I think I'll be keeping the Whiskey NSTs and going with these two pairs, but thanks for everyone's opinions. Now that I've gotten this far, what kind of things do I need to keep them looking amazing? I know shoe trees are obvious, but I'm a total newbie with the details from there. Paste wax? (Colors?) Saphir? How many brushes?

Also, for anybody in the market, as of about a week ago Alden NYC still had a pair of Ravello PTBs left in 11D. If that's your size, good luck!

I think that's all I'm going to get for now, unless there's somebody carrying cap toe Cigar boots on commando... [​IMG]

13. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Indeed. I'm thankful for this thread because I can feel like I'm not the only person in the world with an out-of-control shoe fetish. Let's get back to talking about Aldens.

My contribution: Another installment of my non-shell boot binge. Yenni sent my burnished tan wt boots on Barrie with commando extra fast so they'd get here by Friday in time for my birthday this weekend. Another poor man's whiskey, but they're plenty comfy, go great with selvedge and ladies love 'em (including dear wife :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this also reminds me: someone had inquired about the NS Church Hill Indys. Same color as above or pretty close. Yes, I justified it to myself by saying that they're on different lasts and can be worn different ways. No one but you guys might agree with me :)

[​IMG]

I'm not trying to invalidate your feelings. I am sorry to hear you find yourself uncomfortable here. Although there are quite a few "superfluous" posts of gratitude and compliments, I don't mind it so much. I feel like Mac has an extensive catalog and consistently posts great combos with his OTCs. We learn a lot from each other and enable our addictions through our posts. Accordingly, I don't mind just pressing the spacebar or scrolling through the thank you posts.

I really hope you can find a way to push past any discomfort or creeped out feelings you're grappling with here. I think just about everyone who posts here makes important contributions or allows us to air questions we ourselves have been sitting on. Not trying to be jerky; rather, trying to be welcoming...

I myself have been meaning to ask (as I contemplate pulling the trigger on yet another boot by weighing JCrew's natty cxl perf toe vs Leffot's) about how and whether veteran members evaluate welt construction when they are selecting boots and shoes. Does the close heel represent a deal breaker for you? Are guys hating the 270 degree welt? Or does it depend?

14. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

For what it's worth on the J.Crew orders (If simply to set hope [​IMG]), I ordered a pair of the Tobacco LWB with a ship date of 10/30 and then also received a delay until the end of Jan '14 … and then they arrived last week.

Mike

15. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

I'm hardly a veteran but I really like the 270 welt, especially on boots.

16. ReppTiePrepster

Dude, how hard is it to scroll to the next post? There is plenty of meaningful and very informative exchange here. I for one am immensely grateful for all of the help provided by so many friendly, patient, and supportive people.

2 people like this.
  17. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

. I agree, I just sympathize with those experiencing this - while selfishly hoping my #8 captoes originally scheduled for Feb do not get pushed to May.

18. ReppTiePrepster

+1, 360 can make a boot look big and bulky. The 270 welt with closed heel makes the barrie lasted boot look much sleeker.

19. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

agreed

1 person likes this.
  20. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

I really like these uncle Mac. I want a pair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.