1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notreknip

Notreknip Well-Known Member

With regard to black boots, I'd really like the black shell Context Tanker but my size is unavailable.

Do I have any alternative supplier options for this exact boot?

Approximately how often does Context re-stock? Could I pre-order?

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

Leather Soul made a similar boot years ago, but I haven't seen it restocked there

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2009/08/11/alden-shoes-nst-hight-boot-in-black-shell-cordovan/

Context offered the black boot I believe for the first time this year. Given it is sold out I would expect them to restock.

Context requires full payment for preorders, which I dislike out of principle. I bought my black tankers from them after they were delivered, there seemed to have been a lot of sizes when I ordered, but with the boot now more well known, it is risky to wait.

3. Xenos

Xenos Well-Known Member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele

Ok, I think you may be right. How about commando sole as the only requirement? If anyone has any in size 10, I'm here!

4. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

5. hoit1981

hoit1981 Well-Known Member

I'm my experience Context are very good to deal with. You should contact them and see if they can help you out. Yes they require full payment upfront, but their delivery dates are spot on.

6. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

go to page 1 of this thread and there is a massive list of retailers that stock alden

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    cigar lhs
    argyles otc

1 person likes this.
  8. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

Uncle, excellent penny loafers and argyles.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  9. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

nephew,

thank you

10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Well-Known Member

To be honest, that list isn't that helpful in finding specific, popular models - most retailers carry a small minority of available Alden models. What would be more helpful is a post that had a list of models, followed by stores known to carry them. For example:

Cordovan captoe boots - Alden DC (cigar, black and color 8 on grant, commando), Alden NYC (black and color 8 on grant, double leather), The Shoe Mart (black and color 8 on grant, double leather)
    Tanker boots - Leffot (antique color 8), Context (black and color 8), Citishoes (color 8)
    Ravello PTB - Alden DC, Alden NYC, Alden SF

Etc.

11. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  12. Venser

Venser Well-Known Member

So i'm new to this forum - why is everybody calling each other "uncle" and "nephew"??

13. chipshot

chipshot Well-Known Member

Don't worry about this and just absorb ..

14. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Well-Known Member

Member mcarthur is "Uncle" and the rest of us are his "nephews." Explaining why is left as an exercise to the reader.

1 person likes this.
  15. haiglarsen

haiglarsen Well-Known Member

There is a frequent poster named Mcarthur who is referred to as "uncle", and he refers to everyone else as his "nephew". I'm not sure why.

edit: ninja'd.

16. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

creepy!

1 person likes this.
  17. circleslife

circleslife Well-Known Member

My guess: He has the best collection of Alden's and is willing to share his knowledge of Alden's, which is quite thorough.

18. katch

katch Well-Known Member

THis is great. I hope to have a pair of black shell Florsheim LWBs sometime next week. This reaffirms that it is/was a great purchase!

Thank you, Coin

19. wdahab

wdahab Well-Known Member

It's a super creepy thing relationship with one user on this forum. Kind of annoying, because it leads to him individually complementing each persons shoes every day, and them thanking him. Or him posting his shoes, each person complementing his shoes, and then him thanking each person individually. I think most people find it completely uncomfortable, but it's one of those cult-like things where you're not really allowed to bring it up or you'll get yelled at.

2 people like this.
  20. AAF-8AF

AAF-8AF Well-Known Member

McArthur is the elder statesman of Alden shoes. I expect he has been wearing Alden shell since most guys on this forum were born. Many decades, I believe. And he has probably owned more pairs of Alden shoes than most of us combined. He has two shoe treatment methods referred to by his name. He's also effectively an ambassador for Alden shoes and enjoys seeing new and younger guys joining in. Given all that, he would be justified in referring to any of us as "son" but apparently prefers an avuncular role to a patriarchal one and refers to us younger folk as "nephew." It's just courteous to refer back to him as "Uncle." I think he's earned that respect. No big deal. But if it it creeps you out, he will answer to Mac just as well.

One other thing to be aware of. Mac is a man of few words, so don't be too disappointed if responses to direct questions are very brief.

Note to Mac: I hope my interpretation has not misrepresented you.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.