• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are not brushing with a brush that you've used to polish darker shoes with are you? The polish residue on brushes will cross over to lighter shoes when you brush.

I use three brushes -
1) One brush for black and color 8
2) One brush for medium browns
3) One brush for light browns (ravello/whiskey)

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hpreston - those chocolate suedes are awesome...when did LS offer those?

Thanks!

They were available about a year ago, I believe I picked them up in early March, 2012.

Alden DC has a similar shoe, not sure of the last, but it is a choc suede short wing Balmoral.

I believe Alden Madison Ave has a similar shoe as well in choc suede with captoe, but for some reason their site is blocked from work...

Last edited:

Dbc0919

Reaction score
Purchased the blue suede LWB's from Leffot back in January. With the weather finally cooperating in New York, pulled them out for a coat of protector before hitting the streets. Unfortunately, noticed that the eyelets on the left shoe are uneven. Probably should have inspected more closely but very difficult to notice unlaced. Obviously, no bearing on function or durability and not likely to be noticed by others (except forum members) but is likely to irritate me. No chance of an exchange but could this be repaired by Alden? Would they even do it?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, the #4 boots are more red for sure. I'll snap some side by side shots this afternoon.

My color 4's are more red too. Noticeably more. I have maintained that - for those who have never seen 4 in person - they may not actually like it as well as they think they would given the amount of red tones that come through. On the whole, I prefer ravello to 4, but, obviously, they are both nice colors. Ravello can have some red tones too, but, depending on the batch, can be, IMO, a very nice medium brown. My ravello PTBs have almost no red in them, but I have other ravello models that do have some red (but not nearly the levels of red in 4). Variety is nice.

BTW, nice boots. Both pairs.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AldenxEpaulet Natural CXL LWB

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are not brushing with a brush that you've used to polish darker shoes with are you? The polish residue on brushes will cross over to lighter shoes when you brush.

Thank you very much for the tip. I am indeed using separate brushes. I use 1 for color #8, one for browns and one for lighter colors. However, I do think it is an interesting topic to if polish residue will transfer on brushes. My understanding is that the primary purpose of the brush is to remove any excess residue, dirt, etc so why then would it add residue back to a finish?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thank you very much for the tip. I am indeed using separate brushes. I use 1 for color #8, one for browns and one for lighter colors. However, I do think it is an interesting topic to if polish residue will transfer on brushes. My understanding is that the primary purpose of the brush is to remove any excess residue, dirt, etc so why then would it add residue back to a finish?

Polish will absolutly transfer to brushes . Try this take a white cotton cloth lay it out on a table and brush it with a shoe brush .
It has been my experence however that ravello and whisky naturally darken with age .This could well be what you are seeing. I am of the school of thought that given time and exposure all shell will eventually reach pretty much the same shade of medium brown as long as tints are not introduced

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Polish will absolutly transfer to brushes . Try this take a white cotton cloth lay it out on a table and brush it with a shoe brush .
It has been my experence however that ravello and whisky naturally darken with age .This could well be what you are seeing. I am of the school of thought that given time and exposure all shell will eventually reach pretty much the same shade of medium brown as long as tints are not introduced

sorry double post

Last edited:

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Purchased the blue suede LWB's from Leffot back in January. With the weather finally cooperating in New York, pulled them out for a coat of protector before hitting the streets. Unfortunately, noticed that the eyelets on the left shoe are uneven. Probably should have inspected more closely but very difficult to notice unlaced. Obviously, no bearing on function or durability and not likely to be noticed by others (except forum members) but is likely to irritate me. No chance of an exchange but could this be repaired by Alden? Would they even do it?

I'd think long and hard before sending it to Alden for "repair". Some of the jobs they've done in the past have made the shoe look worse.imo.

I have a pair or two that look like that too.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

They were available about a year ago, I believe I picked them up in early March, 2012.

Alden DC has a similar shoe, not sure of the last, but it is a choc suede short wing Balmoral.

I believe Alden Madison Ave has a similar shoe as well in choc suede with captoe, but for some reason their site is blocked from work...

Thanks for the info! I really like the version you posted with the Plaza last and the lighter brown trim. I like the brogue captoe better than the wingtip in this specific model, so the TSM model isn't really my cup of tea. I'll see if I can find the one from Alden NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads