1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

PSA: If you're ever wanted to put your toe...into the wild world of OVER THE CALF (OTC) socks Lands' End has a terrific deal on Merino Wool OTCs.

http://www.landsend.com/products/nqp-mens-wool-rib-over-the-calf-dress-socks-2-pack/id_262142

They're $6.99 for two pair and 30% off - making them $2.44/pair. They have Navy, Brown, and Khaki.

I own these and will say the Not Quite Perfect area of Lands' End has never let me down. I've never been able to see any defect in them.

I own 6 pairs of these and I can confirm they're awesome socks.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

A lot of people on the forum seem to have disdain for the J Crew suiting, but I like then - they fit well and many are made of good fabrics. I will likely get their Harris Tweed herringbone suit.

Brooks Brothers is fine if you can get the suits on sale during the 2 for 1500 and they fit you reasonably well OTR. Some are made in the US, some Italy, etc. I don't know as much about their Golden Fleece suits.

3. katch

katch Senior member

Quote:I have no problem with the construction of JCrew suits and general styling, but I HATE the extra skinny lapels. They should revisit this. Keep it at 2.5-3"

4. brp2

brp2 Senior member

5. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

happy whiskey Wednesday folks.
    ravello nst today
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ @brp2 - Alden needs an Amber Ale or Golden Lager shell PTB to meet your niche needs. If everybody drinks whiskey, you'd be ok.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  7. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

a fine pair of shoes to wear every Wednesday. looking good sir.

excellent shine, enjoy your day.

8. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

A fair point for sure. JCrew probably is able to maintain this business model because their suiting represents a solid step up from the likes of Banana Republic and H&M or an entry level Macy's-type suit. They are probably willing to give up attracting the more knowledgeable sartorialists and distinguished gents who might go either classical and do Brooks Brothers or go toward a high end, boutique-y men's shop.

I make sure that JCrew always applies the educational discount (I maintain a university affiliation with some of my work) and I look for season-ending sales, etc. or talk to the personal stylists, who are sometimes glad to throw in additional discounts.

I hear you about protecting your important shells when going out to something like a bar scene. What are folks using as their beater Aldens (besides Indies on commando for yard work)? I'm ever more curious after seeing that recent pic of the AF53, which looked wonderfully lived in, yet still distinctive.

9. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Flawless. MrDV, when you and DonL give the seminar entitled How to Be a Man 101: Elegant Dressing, please let me know so I can sign up for it immediately [​IMG]

10. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Are the JCrew jackets even half canvas? I like JCrew but I see no value in their suits, even on sale. And I agree with the comment on the skinny lapels. Not for me.

Once or twice a year you can get terrific deals on BB. I scored a great Golden Fleece suit at about $900 down from $2000, plus a couple of $1100 suits at about $575.

11. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

I would agree; no canvass, no value. No value, no matter.

12. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I do it. The thought used to frighten me, but I got over the fear earlier this year and now do it quite often. I think they work quite well together.

13. Don L

Don L Senior member

MrDV - those Ravello NST's are perfect

Whisjkey Wednesday - LHS today

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I generally bought suits from Brooks Brothers or Barneys during their sales, and will do so in the future. What attracts me to J Crew is that is is simpler and easier for me to get a good fit. Get the right pants and jacket and minimal tailoring is needed. Walk to the store, get a suit, and it is ready a few days later. Other suits are higher quality, but there is something to achieving a good fit pretty easily.

EDIT - As far as color 8 with black pants, it can work, I've done it, but black shell works better

15. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Apropos of the current conversation, my "beater" Aldens are the tobacco LWBs from J Crew.

16. brp2

brp2 Senior member

I'd just assumed they were half -- otherwise, the pricing makes no sense at all to me.

17. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Regarding Brooks Brothers Suits. I get the Special Ordered suits. Go in, pick out a fabric/pattern from their book of fabric swatches. They measure you for a jacket size, they measure you for a pants size. Specify if you want double or single vented. Pleated or no pleats. 2 or 3 buttons. Specify the cut Madison, Fitzgerald, Milano. Suit arrives 6 weeks later, try it on and they chalk it up for alterations. Comes back 2 weeks later. Try it on again, ideally it is perfect, if it needs further minor adjustments, they chalk it up accordingly. (You could also just take it unaltered and bring it to your own tailor)

$1000, or $850 with the corporate discount.

This isn't fast, but it works well for my needs. Their off the rack selection can be limiting, and I'm not positive but I think many of those suits are only 98% wool, compared to the 100% wool of the Special Orders.

They aren't the fanciest suit, but if you wear a suit every day and travel in them, it does not make sense (to me) to buy a more expensive suit. I want 100% wool, so I won't buy a cheaper suit from say Jos. A Bank because I can tell the difference in the quality of the fabric just by looking at it, and even more easily by touching it. Also, I think some cheaper suits are not constructed as well, and you can notice this in the shape of the shoulders, and the shoulder seam. (BTW, I'm not representing myself as an expert on suit construction)

Haven't really handled J. Crew suits, but the skinny cut seems less formal/professional/conservative to me, which could be fine depending on your job/company/industry. Their suits are more conducive to someone who wants to wear them with a skinny tie and no socks, and have the pants stop 4" above their ankle. (see the model in the J. Crew catalog for an example of this look) This would not fly where I worked, and does not appeal to me anyway. When I wear a suit, I'm generally not in the kind of situation where I want to make a fashion statement, or draw attention to myself, or send the message "Hey, look at me, I wear trendy clothes, I'm the most fashion-forward individual at this place. I spend too much time thinking about my clothes, and not enough time thinking about my work". Instead I try to dress plain and conservative, and have people remember me and my achievements, and not my clothes.

Can't speak from experience, but I get the feeling J Crew suits don't use the same quality wool as BB, but I could be wrong about that. (I know that their cashmere isn't that good.)

So while BB suits aren't the fanciest, or the cheapest, or the most convenient to purchase, they serve me well because they are in the sweet spot for price, quality, cut, and customization.

If I was involved in a different industry/occupation, like Real Estate in NYC, then it might make sense to spend a few thousand more and wear EZ or Brioni.

18. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

I've been considering the tobacco LWB's, would you mind posting a photo if yours? I'd love to see them in the wild

19. Don L

Don L Senior member

Regarding suits. Selection is limited but you can't beat Epaulet's and they are made in the USA

20. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

These are stunning. I would have been all over these if I did not already have the SWB in Ravello already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.