1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. katch

katch Senior member

No to black pants in general

1 person likes this.
  2. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ Unless you are a male fashion model out at a nightclub in Napoli, I seriously doubt it. I think the brown shoes with black slacks thing was a brief fashion trend last seen around 1999 or so. It is theoretically possible, but I think it fails 9,999 times out of 10,000. I also think it would be hard with an American style shoe like Alden. Maybe a sleek, chiseled toe chelsea boot in cognac would work. If you can pull it off, please post pics.

3. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

I don't happen to agree with this either. $1000 for an American made suit with a decent amount of canvas and pretty integrous fabric is a pretty good deal when looking at the options available. Perhaps you could shed some light on why you think this?

4. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Depending on the specific model, I would just have to ask and rely on Leather Soul's recommendation. They usually seem to be spot on, but yes $800 is a lot to risk on a non-returnable shoe even if on sale.

5. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

You can buy similar level (or better) suits at retail from a variety of retailers or even MTO (I don't mean random internet MTO either) for a few hundred less. Also, buying separates (requisite if you have a decent drop) from them is generally really annoying. Most BB cuts are not very flattering either.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  6. JermynStreet

Specifically who?

7. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Senior member

BB always has decent sales. As noted, the suits are union made in the USA and I have yet to find equal quality for the money. The MTOs advertised in the Times and WSJ from what I understand are measured here but made in Hong Kong and generally end up costing more than advertised. Now I'm done. The point was black bluchers are fine with a suit unless you run in a 5 th avenue Brioni circle.

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Epaulet? Taylor Stitch? WvG? That's just from the forum.

9. kippy

kippy Senior member

Another beautiful SF day. Color 8 boots in play. The waterlock soles are very comfortable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. jl70115

jl70115 Member

Thanks for the comment. Sounds like the same issue and "boot fart" is a great description. I really hope mine resolves as yours did. Hope there is a fix if it doesn't.

11. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

Did this today. Looked great.

12. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

13. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Beautiful shoe. It amazes me how much they look like my Cigar LWBs in certain light.

14. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Doc: I agree wholeheartedly. Also, I really like those suede boots. That's a fantastic casual look.

15. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

I'm not sure how good a deal BB is anymore. Retail for a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Madison cut suit is $2100, not exactly a bargain, and they are made in Italy not the USA. You guys might not believe this but a more modern cut suit with great fabrics is being sold at J Crew of all places.

16. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Thanks brp!

17. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

I've had this very thought about J Crew many times, but have been a bit shy to go out on a limb here on SF, where I know some look down their noses on J Crew. Guess I waited until a gentleman I know to be as distinguished as BeSpiff to feel emboldened to say it out loud. I find I get the most compliments when sporting a JC loro piana or worsted wool suit paired (blasphemously) with cigar lwb's :)

18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I'm waiting for the day when someone at work or my wife catches on to the fact that I only wear these shoes on Wednesdays...
    Thus having to explain the weekly holiday, Whiskey Wednesday!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Happy Whiskey Wednesday!
    [​IMG]

20. JermynStreet

Whiskey is a really fine looking color and looks good on both of you gents. Does anyone know if any seller has any whiskey in Barrie 8.5 D? Would love a pair of those LWBs. Enjoy your purchases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.