• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some quick questions re Alden Leather Defender, which arrived from JCrew today: - Label claims it will "clean and protect calfskin and genuine shell cordovan." Can I trust that it can indeed be used on shell? (I know it says so, but I'm paranoid about it given that I'm kind of a shoe care newbie) - Directions are to "Apply Alden Leather Defender to a soft cloth and wipe shoes thoroughly. Let dry. Turn cloth and buff gently. For best results allow leather to dry completely before wearing shoes." Do you fellow Alden Leather Defender users actually follow this procedure? If memory serves well enough, I have a faint recollection of someone instructing us to simply spray the shoe before going out on days rain is predicted. I'd rather go with this on-the-fly method. Shoe care can be time consuming. I'm barely keeping up on my Mac Method basics! (Please don't tell Uncle; I don't want him to be disappointed in me, especially before I post pics of the new whiskeys tomorrow)
shog%5B1%5D.gif
- For those of you who don't believe in the Leather Defender, what alternative water protection, if any, are you using and why? Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer.
I've used the defender on shell with no problems. In fact I believe it was formulated specifically for shell cordovan - http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2011/12/22/alden-leather-defender/ But I usually only put it on during rainy season, or I'm going out to a bar where beer or something might spill.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MrDv is approaching Mac status here
thanks, but there can only be one uncle mac.
This is the best #4 makeup i've ever seen.
thanks, they are very nice looking.
Holy moly, that is a nice boot.
thank you sir
All I can say is... WOW!
thanks, I know, im not worthy.
This shade is awesome. May just be the lighting, but they look a bit darker than #4 I've seen lately. Superb.
thank you sazon, these do seem a bit darker. maybe the creases will show lighter tones.
GRAIL.

And yes, the longwings are cigar.
gracias argentino
Fantastic! I get more use out of my straight tips than any other Alden style.
thank you sir
Those are incredible. I wish I could find a boot like that.
thank you brp2, keep looking, you never know...
thank you sir.
nephew,
good looking cap toe boots
thanks uncle.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got my Alden NST Whiskey Shell on Barrie last...back today from TSM. They sent them to Alden to get a flaw fixed where the heel met the sole and last. Great job, looks awesome, fast turn around and now I have officially become a member of the fine Whiskey club!

See Ya,
Steve
congrats steve, great score

100 yrs

Reaction score
had a cobbler add a third eyelet to my pair of cxl chukkas, they did a fine job and it it improved the fit for me. unfortunately, they also polished the shoe with i don't know what, and i really dislike shiny cxl. these had a really nice dull glow (if that makes sense) when new. what's the best way to remove the polish and start from scratch? i already applied some reno and that didn't do much. do i step it up to renomat? an AE product perhaps?

tsekh

Reaction score

had a cobbler add a third eyelet to my pair of cxl chukkas, they did a fine job and it it improved the fit for me. unfortunately, they also polished the shoe with i don't know what, and i really dislike shiny cxl. these had a really nice dull glow (if that makes sense) when new. what's the best way to remove the polish and start from scratch? i already applied some reno and that didn't do much. do i step it up to renomat? an AE product perhaps?

RenoMat is the way to go.

Reaction score
from Alden trunk show @ Tassels HK last week

CTYGGG

Reaction score

blue, great shoes. I want a pair.

IIRC, fellow sf'er interlockingny has these (LS ravello WT) in a 9.5D for sale in the B/S thread.

Last edited:

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've used the defender on shell with no problems. In fact I believe it was formulated specifically for shell cordovan -

http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2011/12/22/alden-leather-defender/

But I usually only put it on during rainy season, or I'm going out to a bar where beer or something might spill.

I recently bought Alden Leather Defender to protect my shell PTB's. I purchased it from Kathy at Alden DC (more on that story later) and she reiterated that it is mainly for shell, "but you can use it on calf too, if you want" and will prevent water spots, if caught in the rain, she also made sure to tell me to "spray it on a cloth first, then apply to the shoe using the cloth." I followed her advice, and it looks fine on shell, although I have not worn them in the rain yet.

I plan to treat all of my shell shoes with it in the comming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads