1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Distinguished Member

might get a little more wear out the commando. the leather sole looks more dressy, but it doesn't sound like you are going for this pair of shoes. They are more comfy than a leather one, not much, but if you do a lot of walking, you may want to consider it. i have no beef with the commando sole on my AF84s. They have held up nicely over the last 2 years. Alden can resole either one, so no worries there.

2. edubs01

edubs01 Distinguished Member

I guess my main question is do you think that the commando sole makes the shoe less formal? Can you still wear it with a pair of navy trousers?

3. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Distinguished Member

No question a commando sole makes the shoes less formal. However, both those shoes you linked aren't really that formal by themselves. If you'd wear a brown PTB with a pair of dress slacks, I don't see why you wouldn't wear a PTB with commando soles with a pair of slacks.

4. Ahab

Ahab Distinguished Member

I am in the market for a dark brown oxford.
    I am debating between these two.
    What the advantages/disadvantages of the commando sole.
    I am looking for a shoe that is versatile enough to wear with dress pants, chinos, and denim.

Two things. The Commando Sole will last a lot longer. That leather sole on the other shoe is a single leather sole I believe and even though they are supposed to last just as long that particular type (single oiled leather sole?) may wear faster than hard leather. This is just from what I have read.

The uppers on both of those shoes look less formal than anything. They both seem to lack shine and luster. I will wear a commando sole with navy slacks but remember it will look like a boot bottom. I personally would not wear a commando sole to a wedding or an interview but I doubt I would wear either shoe to those anyway.

I guess my main question is do you think that the commando sole makes the shoe less formal? Can you still wear it with a pair of navy trousers?

I wear my cigar shell PTB's with trousers all the time. Brooks Brothers sells a shell #8 PTB that people wear with suits all the time. I would be much mess likely to wear them with suits is they had the commando sole that would look more like I should be jacking lumber.

5. Arizor

Arizor Senior Member

My Alden cordovan captoes #8 at approximately 1.5 years.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Ahab

Ahab Distinguished Member

My Alden cordovan captoes #8 at approximately 1.5 years.
    [​IMG]

7. arrow

arrow Senior Member

If you have these in 9D (Trubalance Jumper Boots) and you absolutely hate it (chances are slim, I know). Give me a shout and I'd love to lessen your burden. Thanks[​IMG]

8. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Distinguished Member

I am in the market for a dark brown oxford.
    I am debating between these two.
    What the advantages/disadvantages of the commando sole.
    I am looking for a shoe that is versatile enough to wear with dress pants, chinos, and denim.

imo commando soles make a lot more sense on a boot, b/c I am more likely to want to wear a boot in the rain or snow

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

If you have these in 9D (Trubalance Jumper Boots) and you absolutely hate it (chances are slim, I know). Give me a shout and I'd love to lessen your burden. Thanks[​IMG]

Ha ha! These are actually 9.5B. Ordering through LS allows me to get things in my weird narrow size that I otherwise could never get.

Try LS Beverly Hills. Maybe they have a 9D in stock.

10. Dexter_

Dexter_ Senior Member

Diggin' the captoes that've been posted lately. Especially the non-perforated pair. Nice patina!

Yes and Yes. With a suit, maybe not. Even if you did, no one will notice.

11. Thor

Thor Senior Member

Anybody purchased from BlackBird in Seattle?? Any thoughts?

I am tempted by their black shell boot on the Barrie last...the "creamery" boot- but am hesitant to...er...shell...(sorry) the 650$ up front when the boot is 6 months away from delivery,

Why can't they just do a non-refundable deposit like AofC and JGilbert etc...? They told me the boot was so popular they had to do pre-pay which makes no sense. If it was so popular they would have no trouble getting rid of it and keep the deposit...

Anyways- sorry to gripe- It does look like a nice boot- Anybody have one?? Any pics in action?

thanks-

12. Roguls

Roguls Distinguished Member

I am tempted by their black shell boot on the Barrie last...the "creamery" boot- but am hesitant to...er...shell...(sorry) the 650$ up front when the boot is 6 months away from delivery,

Why can't they just do a non-refundable deposit like AofC and JGilbert etc...? They told me the boot was so popular they had to do pre-pay which makes no sense. If it was so popular they would have no trouble getting rid of it and keep the deposit...

Anyways- sorry to gripe- It does look like a nice boot- Anybody have one?? Any pics in action?

thanks-

I say the LS Pitt boot is a far more desirable boot. Contact them about it - they may have your size, and they do not a) price gouge (shell boot in black should not be that much) and b) take a full non-refundable deposit.

13. John from Chicago

John from Chicago New Member

thanks-

I've been watching this thread for some time now and this post prompted me to jump in. I've bought (far too) many pairs of Alden shells from Tom @ LS, Shoemart, Adam @ AofC and Steven @ Leffot and have experienced great service. Not Blackbird - their approach is the complete opposite (and the fact that they are trying to squeeze a few extra sheckels out of us with the inflated price adds to the insult).

For me the "creamery" boots are great - I much prefer the Barrie last to the Trubalance last and I may be one of the few readers on this board that loves the commando soles (and hates crepe soles) but I'm not buying from Blackbird.

14. rick

rick Senior Member

stupid question i just got a pair of alden shoe trees from jcrew had a gift card. is there a left and right shoe tree and if there is how do i know which tree id for the left shoe which tree is for the right shoe.

15. mbrokerny

mbrokerny Senior Member

Ive been following this thread for a while and really need some guidance, Im looking to purchase my first pair of aldens and I want to get a boot. I started off wanting the Indy boot in some sort of dark brown, most likely the chromexel, but have started thinking that maybe the indy boots are getting plaid out. I like them but do not like the contrast stitching. I also really like the alden crepe as mentioned in an earlier thread. I started thinking about the context roy boots, people seem to really like them. Are the Roy boots the ultimate Alden boots?

My needs are as follows:

Looks great with jeans, can be worn in all conditions including the rainy/snowy northeast winters we get here and also look good with chinos and can be kinda dressed up.

What do you guys think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.