• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
might get a little more wear out the commando. the leather sole looks more dressy, but it doesn't sound like you are going for this pair of shoes. They are more comfy than a leather one, not much, but if you do a lot of walking, you may want to consider it. i have no beef with the commando sole on my AF84s. They have held up nicely over the last 2 years. Alden can resole either one, so no worries there.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess my main question is do you think that the commando sole makes the shoe less formal? Can you still wear it with a pair of navy trousers?

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No question a commando sole makes the shoes less formal. However, both those shoes you linked aren't really that formal by themselves. If you'd wear a brown PTB with a pair of dress slacks, I don't see why you wouldn't wear a PTB with commando soles with a pair of slacks.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
I am in the market for a dark brown oxford.
I am debating between these two.
What the advantages/disadvantages of the commando sole.
I am looking for a shoe that is versatile enough to wear with dress pants, chinos, and denim.

Two things. The Commando Sole will last a lot longer. That leather sole on the other shoe is a single leather sole I believe and even though they are supposed to last just as long that particular type (single oiled leather sole?) may wear faster than hard leather. This is just from what I have read.

The uppers on both of those shoes look less formal than anything. They both seem to lack shine and luster. I will wear a commando sole with navy slacks but remember it will look like a boot bottom. I personally would not wear a commando sole to a wedding or an interview but I doubt I would wear either shoe to those anyway.

I guess my main question is do you think that the commando sole makes the shoe less formal? Can you still wear it with a pair of navy trousers?

I wear my cigar shell PTB's with trousers all the time. Brooks Brothers sells a shell #8 PTB that people wear with suits all the time. I would be much mess likely to wear them with suits is they had the commando sole that would look more like I should be jacking lumber.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arizor
My Alden cordovan captoes #8 at approximately 1.5 years.
worship.gif

arrow

Reaction score
If you have these in 9D (Trubalance Jumper Boots) and you absolutely hate it (chances are slim, I know). Give me a shout and I'd love to lessen your burden. Thanks
cry.gif

AlanC;3404098 said:
LS Jumper Boots landed today:

img1722r.jpg

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a dark brown oxford.
I am debating between these two.
What the advantages/disadvantages of the commando sole.
I am looking for a shoe that is versatile enough to wear with dress pants, chinos, and denim.

imo commando soles make a lot more sense on a boot, b/c I am more likely to want to wear a boot in the rain or snow

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arrow
If you have these in 9D (Trubalance Jumper Boots) and you absolutely hate it (chances are slim, I know). Give me a shout and I'd love to lessen your burden. Thanks
cry.gif

Ha ha! These are actually 9.5B. Ordering through LS allows me to get things in my weird narrow size that I otherwise could never get.

Try LS Beverly Hills. Maybe they have a 9D in stock.

Dexter_

Reaction score
Diggin' the captoes that've been posted lately. Especially the non-perforated pair. Nice patina!

Yes and Yes. With a suit, maybe not. Even if you did, no one will notice.

Thor

Reaction score
Anybody purchased from BlackBird in Seattle?? Any thoughts?

I am tempted by their black shell boot on the Barrie last...the "creamery" boot- but am hesitant to...er...shell...(sorry) the 650$ up front when the boot is 6 months away from delivery,

Why can't they just do a non-refundable deposit like AofC and JGilbert etc...? They told me the boot was so popular they had to do pre-pay which makes no sense. If it was so popular they would have no trouble getting rid of it and keep the deposit...

Anyways- sorry to gripe- It does look like a nice boot- Anybody have one?? Any pics in action?

thanks-

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thor

I am tempted by their black shell boot on the Barrie last...the "creamery" boot- but am hesitant to...er...shell...(sorry) the 650$ up front when the boot is 6 months away from delivery,

Why can't they just do a non-refundable deposit like AofC and JGilbert etc...? They told me the boot was so popular they had to do pre-pay which makes no sense. If it was so popular they would have no trouble getting rid of it and keep the deposit...

Anyways- sorry to gripe- It does look like a nice boot- Anybody have one?? Any pics in action?

thanks-

I say the LS Pitt boot is a far more desirable boot. Contact them about it - they may have your size, and they do not a) price gouge (shell boot in black should not be that much) and b) take a full non-refundable deposit.

John from Chicago

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thor

thanks-

I've been watching this thread for some time now and this post prompted me to jump in. I've bought (far too) many pairs of Alden shells from Tom @ LS, Shoemart, Adam @ AofC and Steven @ Leffot and have experienced great service. Not Blackbird - their approach is the complete opposite (and the fact that they are trying to squeeze a few extra sheckels out of us with the inflated price adds to the insult).

For me the "creamery" boots are great - I much prefer the Barrie last to the Trubalance last and I may be one of the few readers on this board that loves the commando soles (and hates crepe soles) but I'm not buying from Blackbird.

rick

Reaction score
stupid question i just got a pair of alden shoe trees from jcrew had a gift card. is there a left and right shoe tree and if there is how do i know which tree id for the left shoe which tree is for the right shoe.

mbrokerny

Reaction score
Ive been following this thread for a while and really need some guidance, Im looking to purchase my first pair of aldens and I want to get a boot. I started off wanting the Indy boot in some sort of dark brown, most likely the chromexel, but have started thinking that maybe the indy boots are getting plaid out. I like them but do not like the contrast stitching. I also really like the alden crepe as mentioned in an earlier thread. I started thinking about the context roy boots, people seem to really like them. Are the Roy boots the ultimate Alden boots?

My needs are as follows:

Looks great with jeans, can be worn in all conditions including the rainy/snowy northeast winters we get here and also look good with chinos and can be kinda dressed up.

What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads