1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stamper1924

Stamper1924 Active Member

^I'd just wear 'em to the bone then send them back to Alden for a restoration service. May want to consider going commando instead of having them put on another crepe sole.

I agree with this. I think the commando soles are more suited for wet weather. I think they also look great! [​IMG]

2. halberdklown

halberdklown Senior member

^my thoughts exactly actually, just sucks that I seem more slip-prone now. But, I did always want those Ultimate Indy's [​IMG] having two different soles would have been nice since I'd get the ultimates in chromexcel too, but guess I'm not cut out for the crepe

3. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Posted this a while back, but what color/colors of cream polish do people use on their dark brown chromexcel? I'm talking about the standard dark brown chromexcel that comes on 403 Indys: [​IMG] Thanks!

4. Morgan

Morgan Senior member

Not original material, but a cross-post from shoe damage thread in MC board. I searched for them in this thread but didn't find them, and thought they should be shared. They're not mine - these belong to Srivats, who obviously knows how to care for cordovan. Of the many Alden designs I've seen, these are easily among the top 5, enhanced by their gorgeous patina (and good photography).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some additional, slightly less stunning photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. chantheman

chantheman Senior member

really nice patina forming

6. trunks206

trunks206 Senior member

^God those are nice!

Hey quick question guys, all this talk of wearing shoes in the rain has me a little scared. I live in Seattle and I dont want to destroy my shoes do to our wet weather, so is there any suggestions as to how to protect the soles of my shoes from having a similar experience as halberdklown? I got not wearing them two days in a row but is their anything else? And from what I have read its a no-go for shell in the rain altogether, right? If so that sucks, god know when I will get to wear them for a major part of the year.

thanks in advance everyone!

7. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

What are the advantage/disadvantages of crepe vs. commando vs. leather soles?

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

^God those are nice!

Hey quick question guys, all this talk of wearing shoes in the rain has me a little scared. I live in Seattle and I dont want to destroy my shoes do to our wet weather, so is there any suggestions as to how to protect the soles of my shoes from having a similar experience as halberdklown? I got not wearing them two days in a row but is their anything else? And from what I have read its a no-go for shell in the rain altogether, right? If so that sucks, god know when I will get to wear them for a major part of the year.

I wear my shell year round rain or shine (mostly rain). Shell is tough.
    People are overthinking this too much.

9. ElliottPapineau

ElliottPapineau Senior member

10. wj4

wj4 Senior member

11. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

12. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

In this case, absolutely. I don't really like shell Indys, personally, but I've seen that straight tip in person before, and it's beautiful in cordovan. Cigar would be my personal choice, but you can't go wrong with color 8.

13. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

14. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

I've got those in cigar cordovan. For whatever reason, I rarely wear them.
    Well, if you had them in 10 D or 10.5 D I'd take them off your hands [​IMG]
    Posted this a while back, but what color/colors of cream polish do people use on their dark brown chromexcel? I'm talking about the standard dark brown chromexcel that comes on 403 Indys: [​IMG] Thanks!
    Any thoughts to the above, folks? Best polish color for brown chromexcel Indys?

15. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

^God those are nice!

Wearing shell in the rain is fine! Just make sure to let it dry properly. No biggie.

16. joz411no

joz411no Senior member

I'd pay good money to own those shoes in my size. I could also imagine a cap toe, balmoral boot in a Ravello grain.

17. nutcracker

nutcracker Senior member Dubiously Honored

^God those are nice!

Perhaps try a leather sole moisturizer of some sort? They're supposed to keep moisture out, though not 100% waterproof

Collinil is a legit brand. Not sure where to get it in US though.
    http://www.collonil.net/en/produkte/...id=54530001000

18. theuglylover

theuglylover Well-Known Member

Would applying sno seal or mink oil to leather soles work, or is that a dumb idea?

19. SLAB

SLAB Senior member

well, seems i'm not the only one to suffer from the excessive wear problem with the crepe soles models. I own a pair of Roy boots and although i've only worn them only a couple of days (not consecutive days) i've noticed some disproportionate wear on the tip of the leather part where it meets the crepe soles. Perhaps it's about the way i walk? In any case I would definitely not recommend these crepe soled models for rainy days as i seem to slip constantly on all kinds of terrain. Please bear in mind its the leather tip part that makes it slippery. A Vibram all crepe sole might do the trick.

I wonder if you have all leather soles, will they also suffer and degrade quickly in wet surroundings?
    I've noticed some boots have waterlock oiled leather soles. Better to go with those kind of soles when living in areas where it rains a lot i suppose?

20. halberdklown

halberdklown Senior member

^ funny enough, mine are roy's too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.