• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, Uncle posted some new color 8 and ravello NST both aberdeen and a whiskey NST on the barrie. I personally thought the whiskey was stunning, but I think I like the sleek look of the color 8 on aberdeen. The ravello on aberdeen was nice, but it would be third on that list for me. I have two aberdeen lasted pairs of shell and like them very much, but the barrie is so darn comfortable for me. Not sure what to tell you my friend. I don't think you could go wrong either way.
Thanks. I still can't decide so decided to just forget it and not get any NST. ;)

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For your viewing pleasure: The navy blue really pops in natural light. I'm thinking about swapping in a set of colored laces, maybe red or orange. But for the moment, I don't want to take anything away from the natural beauty of these shoes. Photo tech: Canon 5D classic. 35L. Indoor lighting. Post process to simulate daylight.
CXL really lends itself to longwings.
Wow. Great looking Longwings
These are great. Fantastic. Last? I think CXL leather is a really tempting option for makeups with the shell shortage. My favorite shoe in my Alden collection is my natCXL longwing (leydon) by far. Wish Alden would put more lwbs on this last. Wear those well. They are just stunningly beautiful.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A couple of days ago, Uncle posted some new color 8 and ravello NST both aberdeen and a whiskey NST on the barrie.  I personally thought the whiskey was stunning, but I think I like the sleek look of the color 8 on aberdeen.  The ravello on aberdeen was nice, but it would be third on that list for me.  I have two aberdeen lasted pairs of shell and like them very much, but the barrie is so darn comfortable for me.  Not sure what to tell you my friend.  I don't think you could go wrong either way.

I think that the roundness of the Barrie works really well for the NST. For me, on the Aberdeen the toe is too pointed and accentuated. I know I am likely in the minority. I also prefer the NST boots on the Barrie for the same reason

Last edited:

Hermitedge

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the increment is in mm when going from a D to an E? I'm unsure whether there is a standard, or it really just depends on the last. Either way, just curious.

marnomuth

Reaction score
These are great. Fantastic. Last?

I think CXL leather is a really tempting option for makeups with the shell shortage. My favorite shoe in my Alden collection is my natCXL longwing (leydon) by far. Wish Alden would put more lwbs on this last.

Wear those well. They are just stunningly beautiful.
Thank you. They are on a Barrie last, sir.

david3558

Reaction score
They are wonderful - makes me wonder what some of the other never before seen shades of CXL would look like...

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the increment is in mm when going from a D to an E? I'm unsure whether there is a standard, or it really just depends on the last. Either way, just curious.
I wonder if it is constant going up the sizing scale. Like is it a 3mm difference from 7D to 7E, and 3mm from 13.5D to 13.5E?

It would make the increase proportionately smaller compared to the overall dimensions of the shoe as size increases.

puzzled.gif

Edit: This would also cause the shape of the last to change as size increases. The width of a 13.5E would be smaller relative to the length as compared to a 7E.

This leads me to suspect that there is not a constant difference (in terms of mm) between widths as size increases/decreases. It should be proportional to the length, if the last proportions are to remain constant throughout sizes.

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fight%5B1%5D.gif
Touche, Bakes. It seems I'm at my least sensible place when I'm on this thread. I swear, I'm much more competent and efficient in my personal and work lives.

I work with the unconscious, not in podiatry. Point well taken. I'll call a colleague tomorrow...
I was just messing with you. I'm sure someone in this thread knows off hand.

I think your suspicions is correct, that they swell throughout the day, but I've heard conflicting information on this topic.

docalden2013

Reaction score

I was just messing with you.  I'm sure someone in this thread knows off hand.

I think your suspicions is correct, that they swell throughout the day, but I've heard conflicting information on this topic.

Thanks for your validation. I usually pride myself on having more of a sense of humor. Today, however, I've been on the phone repeatedly between patients with real estate attorneys, the IRS and my mortgage company. I just missed my mortgage commitment date and had to ask the seller's attorney for an extension and delayed closing date because of one missing piece of paper: my 2012 tax return, which the IRS would not release because some stooge was requesting for the wrong social security number. Argh. If only these people were as cheery and helpful as Kathy from Alden of DC or the leffot folks.

Not sure which is more difficult: closing on a house when you've got the money for it or finding the shell you're looking for even when you're willing to shell out north of $700 for it.

Rant over. If you think I need to chill, you should see the tension that's developed over at the AE site. Our Alden boy Mediahound is getting lambasted for asking the AE CEO a simple and fair question.

Heading to bed with fingers crossed for the IRS to cooperate with the mortgage goons and for whiskey shell that my swollen toes will fit comfortably in. Best of luck, fellow aficionados, with finding your next wished-for Alden!

Hill

Reaction score

For your viewing pleasure: The navy blue really pops in natural light. I'm thinking about swapping in a set of colored laces, maybe red or orange. But for the moment, I don't want to take anything away from the natural beauty of these shoes. Photo tech: Canon 5D classic. 35L. Indoor lighting. Post process to simulate daylight.
These are incredible.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think green CXL would look awesome...although I can't imagine Alden using anything like that anytime soon.

Green shoes ftw, wish alden made a dark green shell like gaziano girling racing green. Rancourts green is just a bit too much

Regarding feet swelling, find tighter shoes will feel tight after 6-8 hours for me so 2-3pm if you are on normal work schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads