***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Periodic paste wax should do it. Mac has posted pairs with decades on them that still look like color 8. A lot of guys with extreme color change are doing that deliberately

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Really speaks to the longevity of Alden's, you have shoes older than I am. What ever methods you have used to take care of them, it works.

3. marnomuth

marnomuth Member

For your viewing pleasure:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The navy blue really pops in natural light. I'm thinking about swapping in a set of colored laces, maybe red or orange. But for the moment, I don't want to take anything away from the natural beauty of these shoes.

Photo tech: Canon 5D classic. 35L. Indoor lighting. Post process to simulate daylight.

4. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

CXL really lends itself to longwings.

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Wow. Great looking Longwings

6. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

with alden opening up to blue cxl, i wonder how long it will be till they start using navy shell?

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Seems like Alden is using less shell, not more. Styles in leather like navy CXL are a direct response to limited shell availibility

8. CalceoAdamator

CalceoAdamator Senior member

Like your gunboats Uncle

9. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

If they don't fit when you get them, I would recommend aborting and waiting for your correct size. You might get lucky and be surprised that a pair turns up sooner than you would imagine. A sloppy fit can ruin a shoe for me. It will annoy you with every step. What's a few months/years for shoes that can last decades?

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Lots of great suggestions on this one. I would tend to agree, though, that the choice depends on your goal in purchasing a LWB (work/leisure/both in the context of what you own already). My instinct is to go for #8 as an all around solid choice regardless of the circumstances. An associate of mine has the snuff suede LWBs which are simply awesome. Black is a contender if it fits your needs, but I tend to shy away from black brogues as the punching doesn't shoe up as well (with some exceptions of course).

11. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Dear Bakes,

Thank you for being, like so many times before, the voice of reason. You and a couple others have encouraged me to remember it's more of a marathon than a sprint. No need to rush headlong into a purchase just to scratch the shell itch. I know that these shoes are more about expressing a more long-term-oriented aesthetic rather than a gotta-have-the-'it'-thing-now, adolescent impulsivity. I will try to keep in mind some of the posts I've encountered on this thread regarding the regrets our fellow Alden collectors have suffered when they've ended up with an ill-fitting shoe following the impulse buy. I truly appreciate your efforts to keep me grounded. I'm assuming Uncle Mac and the other heavy hitters on this thread acquired their deep collections over time.

OTOH, if I should pull the trigger in the midst of a bout of Aldenitis, what time of day is the time that one's feet are most likely at their most full/swollen? I would imagine after a 12 hour workday, but I think I've read that the middle of the day could be that time too.

12. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

13. ReppTiePrepster

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  14. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

To me black and snuff are about equal since I like them both about the same. However, black is certainly going to be more versatile. I can't really see wearing snuff suede formally for example.

15. ReppTiePrepster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.