1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Dress shoe rotation

Black
    Black cordovan wingtip (either Alden or Brooks Brothers branded)
    Black unlined PTB
    English Branded Black calfskin captoe oxtord

Color 8
    Alden for Brooks Brothers cordovan wingtip
    Captoe blucher (either Alden Or Brooks Brothers branded)
    Full Strap Loafer
    I guess the 990 fits here as well

Brown
    Alden Cigar Captoe
    Ralph Lauren Marlow Wingtip

Thoughts? I think I am focusing more on "suit shoes" nowadays.. I would need to get a black wingtip and the color 8 blucher while replacing the current versions of my black calfskin captoes and Marlows...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Guilty. L to R # 8 plaza Cigar grant #4 Barrie Ravello grant
    Mike, you know way too much about shoes. And about my yard.

2 people like this.
  3. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Awesome combo uncle.

4. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Great looking v tip. Leather soul offered them in cigar, let me know if you find a size 10.

5. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

6. smoothie1

smoothie1 Senior member

just google this: French Tannery in Demand as Source of Top-Notch Leather

and then follow the link to online wsj.

7. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,

thank you

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, consider overshoes

11. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

LoL mrDV! I actually can't believe I got them right! I have staring at your beautiful shoes and boots for too long! Plus your grass is freakishly green.

-Mike

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    consider black cap toe, black wt, black medallion cap toe, black tassels and black full strap

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

+1

15. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my thoughts, 7FTG; I always value your input here and in other threads. I wholeheartedly agree about how one's shoe collection is largely shaped by one's vocation. Therein lies my problem. As a private practitioner, I answer to no one but myself--which is great in terms of professional autonomy and the setting of my schedule, but at times trying in terms of figuring out the dress code for the day. There are days that motivate me to wear suits, but I try to dress them down or wear them a bit more playfully (e.g., with colored laces perhaps or a fun pocket square). Accordingly, I go for barrie lwbs at times with the suits, given that their bulkiness looks less formal and that no one really knows much about the indications for bals vs bluchers. I'm still in the process of trying to clarify some style questions and evaluate them outside of my pre-existing, arbitrarily-arrived-at rules of thumb (e.g., although folks here have said ptbs are ok with suits, I sometimes feel like my ptb is more of a naked, incomplete lwb or something). Same goes for boots, even Plazas, with suits; can I really pull that off? I certainly get style compliments from both patients and colleagues, but I feel like a complete novice compared to some of the veterans here with their deep collections and rakish outfits (DonL easily springs to mind with his wonderful combos of shell, tweed and color).

I agree about the shell shoes and boots. Alden is a no brainer with regard to shell quality and their all around design and construction (see, e.g., Michigan Planner's earlier post in response to my original questions). As I've said, I thought about flirting with Carmina, maybe Vass and some C and J. I'm just not sure if there is much of an added value that is likely to come from me learning more about their lasts and idiosyncracies. Re the C&J Lindrick, is it Horween?

Alden suede is lovely indeed. I especially love my unlined suede models. Super comfy, like slippers. Re Edward Green: I've never held one in hand, but wonder if their suede models are as soft and tender in person as they look in person, almost too delicate?

I know there is more to learn about calf shoes. Having drunk plenty of Kool-Aid from this particular thread, I think I've come--with admittedly little self reflection--to a bias that shell is always a better option than calf. However, I read on another thread that, e.g., some British folks prefer calf models. EG again comes to mind, as I think about folks extolling the virtues of French calf. Qu'est-ce que c'est ca? And is it worth the premium price (in other words, how much better is it than Alden's calf)?

I love loafers, but hate trying to nail the fit for loafers, so I may stop with my deuce from Alden: the unlined snuff upls and cigar shell lhs's.

Time to contemplate whether to keep saving toward the grand plus for those EG Westminsters or whether to prematurely blow a wad of cash on today's gem of the day, the Leffot natty perf toe boots. Anyone pull that trigger yet?

16. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

put them in my cart twice today but couldn't pull the trigger.. I have a pair of natty tankers that havent even been worn yet, not sure I should swing a second pair in that color

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  17. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

Thanks for the tip! They should be headed my way tomorrow.

See Ya,
    Steve

18. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    that is good news

19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I did the same kwhite...

20. GooseG

GooseG Senior member

I'm bi