1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

Thanks Mac...yours as well!

2. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Any love for calf leather?

[​IMG]
    With showers in the forecast, these waterlocked soles will work today.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  3. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Sazon: I have to agree. I usually wear my captoes for business casual or when I have a oxford shirt on with jeans. My Indys are super casual, jeans and a Tshirt boots. It would be hard for me to choose between them.

Those navy CXL Indys are enticing!

4. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Those new CXL cap toes at Leffot are pretty nice...
    If I didnt already have so much on order.

5. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ Was thinking the EXACT same thing.

6. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Me too...

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Much of one's shoe collection, IMO, has to do with what one does for a living. For example, some have no need for balmorals or double monks. If that is the case, it may be easier for them to stick to Alden-only shoes/boots if that is what they desire.. For those of us who have a need for balmorals or double monks, it is necessary to look elsewhere, particularly if a sleeker last is desired. NOTE: I own black shell and color 8 shell captoe bals (perf tip) - each on Snap Last (Alden for BB) - and really like them, so I am referring to bals beyond those types of models. And, for context, I am one who almost never wears Barrie lasted shoes with a suit. Just overall too bulky for my taste. I realize many do, and that is fine (and my comment is not meant as a criticism of Barries with suits; it's just not for me).

For shell shoes and boots I look primarily to Alden, but have various models (many of which I really like) from makers like C&J, AE, and Carmina. One of the best looking shell boots produced today is the C&J Lindrick, IMO. On the whole I prefer Alden shell finishes to those of other makers, by quite a large margin.

For suede I look primarily to Alden (casual suede) or EG (dressier suede). And I agree with the sentiments on this thread that Alden suede is many times overlooked.

For calf I look primarily to EG, John Lobb, and C&J Handgrade, although I own other brands as well, including Alden.

For loafers of any leather type I look primarily to Alden (1) because I really like the Aberdeen last and (2) I need a narrow width (availability from Alden is decent on this front). Although I do own loafers from other makers too which I really like (ex. EG Belgravia).

Variety is important to me.

8. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Considering seeing if I can drop the brown cxl plaintoe boot pre order and apply to the natty captoes. Not sure which I prefer and which one I need more. (Neither? Both?)

9. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

me too! However I own so many perf captoe boots and just got these in so it seems a bit redundant...Yet I want them...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

HaHa! Unfortunately, I can relate to this all too well. -Mike

11. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Just spent a good hour and a half catching up on this thread while carrying my baby and getting her back to sleep. Some great pictures and some very informative discussions.

This thread might be a constant threat to my bank balance, but it's also an incredible source of knowledge (and wisdom), and a fine community of gentlemen.

And then the alarm clock rings, signaling its time for me to get up (and to do so quietly, so as not to disturb sleeping children). I think today I will choose an outfit with which I can pair my Color #8 LHS. And I will check again the order status of my J. Crew #8 PCT boots.

Carry on, gentlemen.

12. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Sorry if i'm bringing something back from a while ago. But another member posted this photo (sorry, can't remember who) and it is just simply sublime. I am wondering if anyone can tell me which make-ups, colors, and lasts these are? I understand the shortage in lighter colored shell, but I would like to know anyway, in case it ends when i'm ready to buy. Really want my first pair of aldens when I can free up some funds. Would prefer revello, but #8 would also be nice. Really want a cap-toe boot...

[​IMG]

13. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

far right look like daytrippers in ravello from leffot. atleast look very similar to my pair. grant last I think.

second from right look like #4, not sure who they are from, maybe shoemart?

14. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

I wish I could get these babies in cigar and ravello but I love them in #8
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Guessing from the grass and boots that it's MrDV. :) I will take a guess at lasts, but I will get them wrong. I think the Cigars at least are Grant. Ravellos look Grant like also. Color 8 look Plaza. Color 4s kind of look Barrie. -Mike

1 person likes this.
  16. dahl5yankees

dahl5yankees Senior member

Can anyone recommend a youtube video on shining and cleaning Shell Cordovan?

17. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Google Mac method.

18. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

19. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

This is a very good read. I read it today at work. Actually my colleague said...oooh you see this article "shoe boy"? To which I responded they have to mention Horween, right?

20. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.