1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david3558

david3558 Senior Member

2. calidist

calidist Senior Member

To my untrained eye, Alden's snuff shade differs a bit pair to pair. Some of the pairs are marginally darker than Alden's tan shade, others are more in the middle ground between tan and a medium brown. Alden SF has a semi-lined PTB in both tan and snuff and it was somewhat difficult to tell the difference between the two shades when I viewed them this weekend. I'm a big snuff suede fan, though I prefer a bit darker of a shade than many of the Alden snuff pairs I often see in retail stores--it appears to me that if you compare Alden's snuff shade to Crocket & Jones', Alfred Sargent's, or even Allen Edmond's snuff, you'll typically find the Alden shade is the lightest. Personal preferences aside, Alden's suede is magnificent and I find snuff to be a highly versatile color. While suede certainly is not as rare as shell, it is fairly unique in its own right and makes for a fantastic casual shoe. I wouldn't hesitate to get all three pairs. I imagine you'll quickly find preferred discrete uses for each.

3. wombus

wombus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

New ravello chukka on the Barrie last on their first outing.

Can see in person what's so special about Alden cordovan (these are my first Aldens)

4. Winterbourne

Winterbourne Senior Member

Try using a silicone-free leather conditioner and cleaner, as silicones supposedly accelerate the drying process. Many here like Lexol products and Renu, and I use the the latter with good results. Less is more with this stuff so use it sparingly and as needed. I also avoid using polish because I've noticed it accelerate dry creases/cracks. However, it is worth noting that CXL in general creases a lot oftentimes and there's nothing to really do about it except embrace them or jettison your shoes.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

5. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Distinguished Member

Nice pick up. Congratulations!

6. terradilavoro

terradilavoro Senior Member

Hi aldenfan,

i prefer Montana Pitch Blend once a year on my Indy / brown CXL.

On natural CXL i use Neatsfoot Oil following Nick Horween - also only one time a year due to big rotation of boots.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

cheerio
    Joachim

7. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior Member

Thanks, RTP! I think it gets in my head when my wife looks down at my feet on any given LWB day and says, "So, how many of these things do you have?" [​IMG] Re the prioritizing of shell, I'm trying, but can't seem to find the LWBs I'm wishing for. Now that the collection has grown somewhat, I find myself entertaining the idea of simply setting aside funds for the long off day when the shell boots I dream of pop up (I'm imagining sometime in 2015)...
    Gauss, you have broken my last straw of denial that this Alden Acquisition Condition is about "practicality" or "permanent fashion". You're right, I don't need this stuff, it's just plain fun!!
    This helps my rationalizing. I'll sleep better knowing that each snuff pair is "unique." [​IMG]

Have a great day, guys!

8. phototristan

phototristan Distinguished Member

9. jkater1

jkater1 Senior Member

I've never ordered from them online but I've bought a pair in the store. Also at the time they had the Alden polishing cloths for $1, I only got a handful thinking I would get more next time I was there. Should have bought them out because they don't sell them anymore.

Edit: I see them for $2 on their site now, maybe they were out when I went there last time.

10. phototristan

Do you mean Alden doesn't make the polish cloths any more? I do see that they are for sale at a number of retailers.

11. jkater1

jkater1 Senior Member

I believe Alden still makes the polish clothes. When I went back the person helping me told me that they were no longer selling them individually and they were only in the polish kits. I took it as the store was going to no longer stock them individually.

12. Steel28

Steel28 Distinguished Member

Cigar Monday (Leffot Atoms)

[​IMG]

13. phototristan

That's a bit strange since they sell them individually on their website.

14. herrmj

herrmj Senior Member

15. phototristan

thanks for your input although i'm not sure what ibm 1911 is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.