1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Well-Known Member

Has anyone experience any adverse affects after prolonged use of venetian? I've read that the pertroleum distillates aren't good for shell, but I am a little bit skeptical, seeing as it is recommended by horween.

2. macjedi

macjedi Well-Known Member

I've been hesitant to buy the big one, as it's taken me a couple years to go through a small jar of Reno. But I've been wondering if you can you use VSC on leather furniture? I've got some home theater seating that could use some TLC. Has anyone used VLC on anything other than shoes?

3. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Well-Known Member

haven't noticed any ill effects (but I am <3 yrs or so with using it)

sorry, cant speak on that.

I hear you on the big bottle taking awhile though. I'll admit, I've taken a pair of 403/405 indys from jcrew to be a guinea pig of sorts. I'll load them up with venetian. as I tend you use these are my day to day, yardwork go to, I figure a healthy dose of venetian would provide more benefit than harm

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  4. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

i cant speak to the effects of prolonged use of veneian however when i go two days without shell i become irritable, suffer from dizziness, and my mouth becomes dry. its nothing $700 cant remedy though

5. kwhitelaw

like a brotha from another mutha [​IMG]

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Well-Known Member

7. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Interested as well as my new whiskeys could use a little sheen. How would you decide when to use VSC versus Reno? Or how about Alden shoe cream? I have alden shoe cream and Reno but no VSC. VSC seems reasonably priced but the shipping makes it impractical if Reno or Alden cream serves the same purpose.

8. kwhitelaw

to be completely honest.. I have no firm opinion towards one over the other. I just applies a very light venetian coating over the whisket nst that recently arrived. only on one shoe at the moment, moreso as a test.

I'm not a stickler tbh concerning conditioning.. to an extent, even breaking in.. I tend to lace them and wear them, and just throw some venetian or reno occasionally. no rhyme or reason

edit* venetian is well priced IMO from this website.. I grabbed a couple brushes and some other items to make it worth placing an order

http://www.foresupplyco.com/product...enetian_Shoe_Cream_E_ZOES_Venetian_Shoe_Cream

9. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

Appreciate the response k-white. Thanks.

10. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

i like em, kinda want a color 8 on plaza though.

do you wear those with a suit or casually?

11. kwhitelaw

excuse the spelling/grammar errors lol..

good luck with your whiskeys.. please post up photos. I'm new to whiskey, learning as I go concerning conditioning

12. luc13

luc13 Well-Known Member

Do You know this problem with the Speed Hooks?

[​IMG]

13. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

luc13, I've seen this before. What make-up of boot are they, and how long have you been wearing them?

14. luc13

luc13 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Not more then 10 Times

This are from 14 oz
    [​IMG]

15. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Well-Known Member

luc13, are they the J Crew perf cap toe boots?

16. luc13

luc13 Well-Known Member

No, i bought this in berlin Germany One month ago. The store called 14 oz
    This are my First pair of Aldens and i Love the Color and the Shell but there is a nother Problem. The Stand feels not good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. bucksfan

bucksfan Well-Known Member

I had the same speed hook issue on a pair I have. You can have a cobbler replace it with an eyelet pretty cheaply.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  18. Shawnc

Shawnc Well-Known Member

No worries. I was able to quickly discern your message and attributed the issues to the lateness in the hour :). I'm in a no-lose position because strange as it may sound, my primary usage for these is casual/denim. I've always liked the color contrast and with my advancing age has come a recent appreciation for LWB's. So even if these darken or crease a little, that is not only ok but maybe even preferred. And if things don't work out, I'll sell them and given the price I paid at the recent TSM blowout, will likely make a small profit.

All that is to say that I'm willing to take a little risk with these so I'm going to try renovateur and either the alden neutral creme or the saphir neutral creme and see how things look. I will definitely post pics when complete.

19. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Well-Known Member

Saphir Cordovan Cream in Neutral infuses very much moisture into shell. More so than Reno/Venetian. I have all 3. It is said that it will temporarily darken whiskey, but that once it dries it will return to its original shade. For this reason, I hesitate to suggest it for your situation. All that I can attest to is that the stuff really moisturizes.

No. It's be disputed repeatedly on here. Nobody has been able to offer any concrete evidence that it has adverse effects. The best that has been offered is theorization.

You should get the Lexol wipes for your leather furniture. I know that doesn't help you use up your VSC.

Reno vs VSC has been debated repeatedly on this thread. Nobody has been able to offer any proof that one is superior to the other. One smells better, one is cheaper. As far as results, there really is no discernible difference, and I would be skeptical of anyone who says otherwise.

Yes, this is one of a few common problems that occur with speed hooks. Also one of the reasons why they are a deal-breaker for me every time, except for non-alden boots.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  20. blue collar

blue collar Well-Known Member

Gloomy day in the Great White North

403s in full effect!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.