Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I do not have an answer to your question but this is interesting. Keep us updated.

2. Thor

Thor Senior member

exerted a little elbow grease this weekend...made a difference but could be time for a recrafting...

[​IMG]

elapsed time- 45 minutes:

[​IMG]

3. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

actually in coastal california no you can pretty much pull the roof off in may and youll be ok till sept even oct

4. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

A+ Post. :slayer:

5. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Great pics! :slayer: Hey, a little more info on those? I notice no speed hooks, what is the sole? Also are the uppers the standard Indy leather?

6. david3558

david3558 Senior member

If I'm not mistaken it looks like he had his speed hooks swapped out for eyelets, the positioning of them gives it away IMO.

7. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

anyone have experience with adding dye to shell?

while this is too much products for shell cordovan (probably a good treatment for leather though), the part where he adds dye is interesting;

8. Thor

Thor Senior member

You are correct Sir!

The original speed hook ripped apart from the leather about a week after I got them and Alden swapped them out...

These are JGilbert #8 Indy on commando...although they (soles) are well worn and desperately need to be replaced.

9. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Would not recommend it unless you're set on keeping the color a certain way as to avoid patina - my friend dyed his natural cordovan by applying layers of dye to the wallet.

10. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Shoe cream has leather dye.

11. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Thought so :)

I had thoughts of doing the same as the speedhooks are not the sturdiest things - my last 2 pairs of Indy's had a lot of play in them - but I was pretty abusive haha :embar:

Would you mind showing what the bottoms look like? I'm curious to see how the commando looks after they're beat!

12. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Awesome. Whiskey LHS is on my list.

13. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

i guess that's why it is not recommended for shell (just wax polish) since it could potentially change the color. seems one could use that to their advantage however if you want to make it darker.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

14. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

When I was in the Army (and for a while shortly after) I would use leather dye when I shined my boots/shoes on occasion. They sold it in the PX and if you got a deep gash or cut it was the best solution. Clean the boot, apply leather dye and wait for it to dry then buff. This in itself would give a pretty good shine and leather dye covers up all mistakes. I would then use shoe cream to help fill in the cut, scrap or gash. Then finish it off with wax polish. At the PX they only had black leather dye of course. Black has to be the easiest shoe color to get back to looking good.

Now I only use various creams, and have used it on cordovan. I once scraped the toe box of a Darlton wingtip to bare leather. I was pissed but I took some brown leather cream and applied it to both shoes and it covered up the scrape pretty well. For a while I could see where the scrape was because it was darker. Now after some many wears, shines and polished I do not think I can tell.

I think this guy in the video went a little overboard but he does mention that the dye brings back the color and keeps them looking good longer.

Paste wax also has some dye in it too which is why it is nice to use some black paste wax on #8 every six months or so to get some nice contrast. :)

15. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Nice catch! :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.