***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hill

Hill Senior member

Last attempt at Patina Sundays then I'll take the hint. This was my first pair of Aldens that I bought at the Tom Austin sale almost a year ago. The right shoe was a floor model that had been out since 2002 and was restored in an attempt to match the left. It was a fairly unsuccessful effort but I've grown to enjoy the variation.
    [​IMG]

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

What you see on the cloth isn't dye from the leather, it's the finish & polish applied at the factory (Alden factory, not the leather tannery/Horween). Alden seems to have less polish than other shell makers like AE in my experience. On my shell AE's for instance, the shell appears rather dry and a bit dull, until you remove that layer of factory finish/polish. Once removed, they develop the depth and color that is so coveted.

Conditioners like Renovateur and Venetian really don't have the ability or strength to remove dye from leather.

3. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

While I agree there is variation in shell there are also many variables that can affect colors in photos and the color display on the monitors as well.
    Some color would probably come off if you rub a shoe with a dry cloth or just a little water.
    LMFAO! [​IMG]

4. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

[​IMG]

5. CalceoAdamator

CalceoAdamator Senior member

I don't know why that is, I enjoy my black shells as much as any other color... Thanks for the tip stmaier, oddly enough I searched Context PreOrder, and found a page to their first pre order for this tanker in No.8, which still offered them in one size, in my case, my size, so I snatched them up at $717, instead of the end price point... http://contextclothing.com/item.php?id=2244 The order went through, card successfully charged, confirmation received...

Let's see if I really get them or receive a Dear John letter... LOL

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I've never seen fine boot cream recommended for cordovan. I have some and use it occasionally on CXL and the Indy boot cowhide

8. CalceoAdamator

9. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

That reminds me of a night I went to the local comedy club for free amateur night. Steven Wright showed up unexpectedly and the one I remember was this:

"I got a new camera. It's so advanced I don't even need it."

10. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

11. CalceoAdamator

That's too bad... I missed my opportunity on those too... And have been searching without much luck either... Next time around I guess...

12. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

Patina Sunday -- after plenty of mac method last night and this morning:

[​IMG]
    Top: #8 LHS; Cigar Captoe Boots (Alden DC); Cigar Indy (Leffot)
    Bottom: #8 LWB; Ravello LWB (Alden DC); Ravello SWB (Leathersoul); AF21 Whiskey LWB (AoC)

Of interest is the difference between the two pairs of Ravello shell. The LWB is newer and has a more ruby hue than the SWB.

13. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

I use the fine boot cream on my shell from time to time. The guys at Alden SF recommended it as an option to me. They also did an in shop demonstration with it to remove some scrapes/scuffs on a pair I wore into the shop and it worked very well.

14. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I think I'll buy some and give it a try and compare it to Venetian.

What were the steps they did in their demonstration? Just curious.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  15. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

You will get color transfer from leather shoes (shell or calf for that matter) onto the polishing cloth on brand new shoes if you use any conditioning product that contains solvent. Note that VSC, Reno, etc. all use solvent and I suspect that Alden's shoe cream does as well. All/most shoe care products use solvent to some degree including pigmented shoe creams and paste wax, but especially products like VSC and Reno.

Check the shoe care thread, glenjay explains the ingredients found in shoe care products and their purpose very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.