***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt92037

matt92037 Well-Known Member

Just returned from vacation to find a couple new pairs of Aldens waiting for me. I picked up the JCrew PCT black cordovans as well as the Brooks Brothers black scotch grains.

These latest two pairs are added to a pair of 404 Indys. I purchased all shoes without trying on (no Alden dealers where I live) and now I am a little lost on sizing so I could use some advice.

My size 11D 404's fit perfect in length but have quite a bit of room in width to the point when the shoes are tied the eyelets are pretty damn close together. I am going to order one of those leather insoles Alden makes to hopefully take up a little space. I can certainly live with the 404's as is, just want to try the insole to get a better fit.

On the two pairs I received today (both Barrie last) size 11D's they fit very tight in the ball areas (below little and big toes) of my feet. From my reading here I was hoping they would be slightly narrower than the True Balance and fit perfectly. I assume the Scotch grain shoe may stretch a little but after reading about the shell cordovan I should not be expecting too much stretch.

I know this is a bad question to ask on an internet forum, but do you guys think I should be looking at 11E Barrie or Modified or?

I hate to ask "what size shoe do I need" questions on the internet but without a dealer where I live I am stuck.

Thanks

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

The more you post your pics the more envious I am of your collection! Nice laces...

3. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Does anyone have any experience with Alden's Fine Boot Cream (neutral) to take the place of either Saphir Renovateur or Venetian Shoe Cream on shell cordovan?

[​IMG]

I saw an Alden employee at the Alden SF shop using this on shell cordovan in the store so I imagine it's okay.

One thing that concerns me with both Saphir Reno and Venetian, is that some dye seems to come off on your cloth each time you use it. Use a white cloth and you can really notice it.

Maybe the Alden boot cream is better?

4. felixkcma

felixkcma Member

They are sourced by a friend. I am very lucky!:slayer:

5. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

But you've already highly recommended Venetian to over 1,900 people on youtube. Now you have concerns?

6. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Damn you phototristan you have fooled me for the last time.

7. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

I was just applying some Venetian on my cordovan shoes tonight -- a task long overdue, seeing as the shell absorbed the cream so quickly. Some dye does come off on the cloth when I apply Venetian, sure, but the same happens when I buff (a la mac method) the shoes anyway. If you're concerned about the dye you can supplement occasionally with paste wax.

8. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Venetian is great stuff. Just wondering how the Alden stuff compares.

Also, FWIW, less color comes off when using Venetian than with Saphir Reno.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  9. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

Post the rest of your shoes please Johnniegold.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  10. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Great looking shell johnie. Are you happy with alden restoration? Did they handle the color to your satisfaction.

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I have two pairs of these. They're so durable I don't actually need the second pair.

12. Johnniegold

Johnniegold Well-Known Member

As an experiment, I sent a pair of Black Cordovan NST to B.Nelson and the pair I've photographed above to Alden at the same time to do a side by side comparison.

I sent the Mahogany to Alden because I was concerned about another company messing around with the color.

Alden did a great job with the restoration, including the color.
    Btw, B. Nelson did a great job as well. I have photos of the "before" and "after" shots that I will have to post someday.

13. alladin

alladin Senior member

Thank you for the advice.

14. stmaier

stmaier Senior member

PSA...Context has a black shell tanker up for pre-order...November delivery...Barrie last & commando sole...$772...same as the color #8 version...

I know black shell does not get a lot of love around here but this is a style that I think looks fantastic in black shell...

15. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

These look great, does any retailer have these in stock now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.