Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Definitely treat suede with stain & water protector. Otherwise, even water droplets from handwashing or rain can cause permanent stains. The only product I've used is AE's suede spray and it works like a champ.

Not sure I'd try this but it is solid evidence for treating suede.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

2. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Great looking saddles.

3. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Nice. Who sells that makeup?

4. Hill

Hill Senior member

Thank you. Those results are impressive.

5. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Yes, I know this is an old post, but I'm curious as to whether these images have been enhanced at all.

I'm considering some Whiskey shell on ebay, but the color looks much more muted, like a pale, flat tan unlike this rich hue seen here.

6. stanford88

stanford88 Senior member

I'm wearing a pair of whiskey shell; I see similar colors, and the photos don't look enhanced.

7. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

Quote: Never have. You may need to brush spots off (suede brush) the shoe from being against the other shoe in the box. The biggest risk of spraying is a change in color or cheap product that sits on top of the fiber. I have not seen that issue since the 80's and there is no telling what my neighbor sprayed on those.

8. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Jereth, congrats on your first shell. Hope you know what lies ahead for you!

Gsgleason, if that's #8 and not black (can't tell), it looks like the J.Crew pct boot. Great boot. It's as sleek as a Barrie last can get. Narrow flat welt and close heel.

9. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

I absolutely agree. If it's snug over the top or on the sides, that's fine, but any toe cramp whatsoever is cause for an immediate abort.

10. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Thanks for the pictures. I like it and want to try it but Epaulet doesn't issue refunds, so I'm a little apprehensive since I've never tried that last.

11. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I tried the AE Amoks last year, which I was able to get for $100 for firsts through the AE shoebank. I too experienced some squeaking, though I think this issue was addressed at some point. So, hopefully those who ordered them get a pair that doesn't squeak. I also found that I needed to size up a half size from my 5 last size, and even then they were snug. They're unlined, so a little snug is probably okay. Finally, the suede didn't feel quite as...supple? (not sure of the right word) as the suede on my Nuemoks. I'm not trying to make people regret ordering them, and there is indeed a huge price difference between them and the Alden version.

12. Hill

Hill Senior member

Thank you.

13. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

As stated in Mike's signature: 14-day refund return policy for all Styleforum members.

14. digga

digga Senior member

Off topic, but I had a pair of squeaky AE's and their customer service had no problem replacing them. Just mention this in an online review and they will surely contact you about it. Might run into trouble if they no longer build the shoe, but it's worth a shot.

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

After receiving a black unlined cordovan PTB in 9.5E, I must say I agree. Though the snugness is not enough to make me have to size up. In addition, in this particular model, the snugness is a good thing... Overall, the shoe looks smaller and more sleek than its lined PTB cousins, which is great for a black PTB in my opinion

I do have one alternative theory - maybe it is the dover pattern that makes these unlined PTBs snugger than lined PTBs rather than the unlined attribute of the shoe. I say this because my cigar PTB on crepe (which are on the dover pattern but also lined) also seem to fit narrower than similar barrie shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.