1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Distinguished Member

I tried the Amok once at an AE outlet, and for whatever reason the shoe just didn't fit my foot quite right. It was too tight in the toes, but too wide in the heel. If it fit, I easily would have picked that over Alden's chukka and saved myself a ton of money. But in the end, I'm really happy with my tan chukkas, and I already had a pair in snuff as well.

There's a lot of talk about completing a shell LWB rainbow, but for myself I'd love a suede chukka rainbow......still need dark brown and navy.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

Great start to a dangerous habit. Good luck and enjoy!

3. ReppTiePrepster

4. ReppTiePrepster

If ever a doubt with fit and comfort, I'd always go with spending more to get it right. Somehow, this is always how an AE decision plays itself out for me. The shoe looks good, but the fit and comfort just isn't good enough to go with the cheaper price. The Amok did feel pretty good to me though, but I preferred the PTB to the chukka in suede; no such PTB in suede from AE.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

We discussed this, and I have these already. :) Or close enough anyway. I'll post a photo when they get their first outing of the spring.

And we could probably play a game where everyone has to see if they can remember what size a certain thread participant is. There'd be extra points if you could recite the multiple variations: "Well, he's a 6.5C in Barrie, but a 7AAA in Aberdeen and Hampton and TTS in Grant." Or similar.

6. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

mediahound : thanks for the link and tip. i just picked up the last pair in my size (first color choice too) ive been prowling the web off and on all day not quite able to justify the $480 for aldens . im not that sure i like suede or chukkas that much . im more of a shell boot kinda guy but this accursed thread got me jonesing for suede chukkas. i had a pair of ae at one time on the same last that fit well so i should be ok there

7. UROCORDOVAN

UROCORDOVAN Member

[​IMG]

#4 + Black Shell Saddles by LS at work today

8. Numbernine

Numbernine Distinguished Member

RTP: An awful lot if the reviews i read on the discontinued amoks complained about the shoe squeaking. ae's stock response was that this was caused by the interface of oiled leather sole and suede . i would guess the new vibrams are intended as a fix but i agree i dont like the makeup as much

9. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

What time were you trying on shoes? If late afternoon you may be ale to get away with toe cramp once footbe settles in. If its a boot though I'd go larger size for sure

10. Hill

Hill Senior Member

Are you guys treating your suede with anything when they're new?

Edit: I've heard good things about the Allen Edmonds protector but Ed at Shoe Mart said there's no need. Just wondering IF I need to treat them out of the box, and if so, will it affect the softness of the suede.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

11. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior Member

i am pretty sure shell stretches/conforms to my feet as the shoes are broken in (and the insole compresses slightly, which also opens up the shoe). still, as bakes said, a cramped toebox is unlikely to improve drastically. i believe that most shoes will ultimately conform to your feet, but how fast that happens is a function of your pain tolerance, and some shoes may never fit you truly well within a reasonable amount of time.

12. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior Member

no, the ptb makeup from NRO is on the leydon, which is why i ordered it. i tried the standard suede ptb on the barrie and the heel was too wide for my comfort.

13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Distinguished Member

Looks familiar . . .

[​IMG]

14. Olifter

Olifter Senior Member

The PAs are narrow. With the #5 last, I have to go up in width.

15. Olifter

Olifter Senior Member

Of course not. But, what do you want?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.