***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I posted about the experience almost a year ago. To make a long story short. I sanded off the black color by hand using various grains of sandpaper. I then applied two coats of shoe cream to get the desired color. I used meltonion tan color. The leather would soak up the cream so I applied it pretty thick, wiped off the excess, and then let it dry. Once it dried I painted a clear lacquer over the edge to seal the color in. I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out.

Here's another pic right after I finished.

[​IMG]

2. chuckb

chuckb Senior member

What are the captoe boots in the top right? They're gorgeous, as are the rest of these. Well done!

3. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

I could be wrong but given the purple lining they look like Carmina boots in cognac shell.

4. irbe

irbe Senior member

Can anybody recommend a good conditioner for my black alden LWB in calf skin. I tried a little venetian shoe cream but didn't do anything. I know Reno is highly recommend here, but what is the next tier down as its hard for me to get that stuff where I am. Thanks in advance.

5. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Black Meltonian Shoe Cream.

6. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

You just sold me a pair of those Carmina monkstraps. May I ask if those are saddle or cognac?

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yes carmina jumpers from a SF group mto from skoak

These are actually a meermin mto in cuero Cordovan. Color is closer to saddle but slightly darker

8. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Would you mind letting me know how much those ran you new? I've been lusting passionately after the Carmina saddle double monks but have heard good things about Meermin too. Any info you could provide would be very appreciated.

[​IMG]

AldenxEpaulet Natural CXL Longwings for Friday.

+Snapseed, always.

9. irbe

irbe Senior member

^Those are nice

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

Think it was $491 plus $45 duties or so? Carmina is a nicer shoe but Meermin is a lot cheaper (Argentinean shell). I did get to customize green / purple lining and Band of Outsiders red / blue sole
    [​IMG]

Would have gotten the carminas but the only place selling them marks it up way too much for me

and edit: Meermin price was lower than it is now I think

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

11. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Fantastic, thank you so much for reiterating the story - appreciate it. I don't know what grit to start with first though :embar:

12. Countingsheep

Countingsheep Senior member

I need Roy boots in a bad kinda way but then these are next I think. Always looking good dude :slayer:

13. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Aberdeen is pretty much TTS. Some people size down 1/2 (similar to Alden Barrie) in AE's #5 last - it is generally considered longer and slightly narrower than most of their other lasts. I, however, wear the same size in both, primarily due to my slightly wide foot and the fact that I don't mind a little extra toe room in my AE #5 last shoes.

The direct answer is that you may be an 8.5D in Aberdeen, but you are more likely an 8D, just like your AEs.

14. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

suede ptb vs suede swb: anyone have both and care to comment? considering canceling my "in production" order of snuff suede ptb's from NRO (who have been super helpful on the phone btw), and grabbing the snuff swb from j. gilbert. i'm afraid that i won't receive the ptb's from NRO before summer. only concern is the swb's would be a little too dressy for casual wear, but maybe not.

[​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

15. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I prefer the SWB over PTB. I'd rather have a suede chukka than a PTB, and they look too similar to justify having both.

And I just got a nice surprise package today...my tan suede chukkas from NRO just arrived. Excellent customer service over the last 2 months (not so much during the first 6 months) while I waited for my size to be produced by Alden.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.