1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

3. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,

thank you

4. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Hmmmm...that is strange...

5. wildstar

wildstar Senior member

Me too.

6. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Passed by Alden NYC today, they have Ravello PTB's sized 11+ for those of you looking. The ones on display, at least, seem to be a lighter shade of ravello

7. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Nifty ... I have to keep this trick in mind as my new Gianni has no stitch like the Lindricks or BB Cordovan boots. Brilliantly done Sir!

8. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

Big week this week, am expecting the following:

Ravello LHS
    AE Jefferson MTO in Cappuccino
    AE Harrison MTO in Black Shell
    AE Amok Snuff Suede Chukka
    C&J for RL Gianni
    Bauer TotalOne NXG

All my pre-orders and MTOs hit at the same time as irresistible sales.

-Mike

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

^ Well, the Ravello sounds great :slayer:

10. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

I used to teach this class, but, thanks to many of you who talked about the pros and cons of purchasing Aldens clandestinely, recently decided to retire from the world of visa vanilla shadiness. This past weekend, I sat my dear wife of 15 years down and talked with her honestly about my purchases. Although I expected the worst, she was remarkably kind and incredibly tender in acknowledging how important the shoes were to me during this very difficult past year (during which we bought a house and endured a stressful summer of moving and construction). Not taking my bait to start snarking and shaming me, she pointed out that she appreciated how thoughtful I'd been to pick a vice that was not destructive of me or our relationship and one that did not create such a financial burden that we did not end up in the home we had wanted. She additionally pointed out how sad it was for me to have to enjoy some of the Alden conquests alone and to not be able to relish the experience in front of her and our son. Where I thought I had truly entered the twilight zone was when I heard her say that she would welcome my candid disclosures about any subsequent purchases. All this without any retributive demands that I take her on a Stuart Weitzman or MZ Wallace shopping spree :)

So honesty really is the best policy. We should be enjoying our awesome shoes with pride and openness.

Thus, I'd like to ask our thread half-kiddingly, how do I translate Alden sizing to Edward Green so I can snag a pair of Westminster double monks?

5 people like this.
  11. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Senior member

I have and still regularly wear 2 pairs of 20 year old Hanover LWBs in a color 6ish shade and black. I will go on record here and say IMHO no domestic manufacturer did or does shell as nicely as Hanover. My 6ish pair are on their 3d soles and soon to be retired to casual wear only. I would love to find a NOS Hanover LWB in 10 D.

12. katch

katch Senior member

Thank you, Coin. I am hoping they fit and arrive sometime this week. I will provide updates.

13. coinopcollector

coinopcollector Senior member

Hanover shell absolutely was Horween and the finest Horween for that matter. They were made right here in Hanover Pa until purchased by Bostonian and rebranded. They have not been made for about 20 years. I got two pairs out of what I assume was close to their last production about 20 years ago.

14. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Any Whiskey action in size 11.5 or 12?

15. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Very commendable, Doc. The world would be a much better place if more people were like you and could own up to their actions, rather than try to deflect blame on others and rationalize why they are really the victim in every situation.

For some reason I always thought that you were younger than someone who could be married for 15 years, but I guess it makes sense since you are a Doctor and by the time one finishes medical school they are no longer a spring chicken.

16. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I bought a pair of NOS Hanover shell PTBs in color 4 about two years ago off ebay (for $200-ish). It is the single greatest bargain I have ever gotten on shoes/boots. It was a seller who knew very little about shoes. He described the shoes as burgundy. The trained eye knew otherwise, and I had a strong hunch the seller was wrong. He was. :D

17. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I have wondered about the distribution of ages in this particular thread.
    Someone should make an anonymous survey monkey questionnaire with a few demographic questions.
    It would be interesting to see the results.

18. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Unfortunately, I'm not sure about Whiskey. 11.5 Ravello PTB for sure; they might meet your needs though, they are definitely light

19. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior member

20. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Great looking cigar LHS's. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Wear them in good health.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.