1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Congrats man. Beautiful boots

2. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

I've been to Gary's many times … I live in OC. Not much exciting going on there Alden-wise. Their Alden stock is "basic" at best and has been there a long while. Fashion Island (the outdoor shopping mall it's located in) is worth a visit if you're in the area. The Great Maple is just across the way from there and is good for a cocktail and a snack.

3. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Interesting enough they're not roomy feeling. Just extra length. Fit fine everywhere else. Tried one more size down to a 9 and the link is a bit better, but not a big difference and they pinch my toes. Don't expect much if any stretching in the toe box. Beautiful shoes though. IMO they're perfect for denim:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/JCrewingoodcompany/Alden/PRDOVR~02023/02023.jsp

Quote:
    Yeah, comparing them to my McNairys in general, but when compared to the Barbour x Grenson boots I have they're even longer. However the Grensons seem a bit too short. As I noted above though, they feel great.

Yeah, big fan. I was a paying supporter for four seasons. Just stopped last season since I didn't foresee making it over this season. I've been to the Camp Nou four times. Incredible indeed and they've put on a few shows for me.

Anyway, cheers for the replies lads. I just want to decide as I have two more styles on their way from J. Crew. One if not both have been backordered now though.

4. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Just reading through the last few pages. What was the deal with ShoeMart? Some sort of discount code?

5. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

handful of cigar, whiskey, and ravello in size 10+ were discounted down to $450. everyone seems to be getting first quality. I got cigar indys that look great, but sent back ravello nst as I wasn't happy with the finishing (not quite seconds quality though for alden I guess)

there were still a couple 11.5-12 pieces available, atleast from when I talked with them on friday. possibly smaller sizes too but I didn't have a need to ask

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  6. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

I own a pair, in my size not 11.5, and pondering whether it would be foolish to buy a second pair and get these. (I wouldn't really, but I did consider bidding on a #4 chukka auction a few months back. they were 2 full sizes too small for me, but so dreamy.
    The daytrippers are pretty amazing.

7. masaccio

masaccio Senior member

Quote: That would be awesome. :slayer: Thanks very much for the reply.

8. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Cheers. Sounds like bigger sizes. I'll have to keep my eyes open for this.

9. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Those Day Trippers were my size too, but l discounted the mis-matched cap toes because they are considered here to be a real prize. Sadly my money was too slow.

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

cant fix mismatched grains. its an annoying mistake especially on a captoe

11. BeSpiffington

I suppose something like that could really bother a guy over time.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

it bothers me instantly and mismatch happens more often than you think. only edward green makes perfectly matched shell. if i can, i always try and order two when possiible. typically order 2 pairs of the rl x cj shell shoes and pick out the better pair.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  13. BeSpiffington

^^^ NAMOR, you are a very ingenious fellow. I've ordered two different sizes in the same shoe for fit comparison, but never two pair in the same size for shell color preference. ^^^

14. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Namor has this shoe buying thing down to a science. I need to get my eyes checked because I never would have noticed that grain issue until Namor pointed it out. I was probably partially blinded by all the Ravello-ness.

15. BeSpiffington

If shoe buying is a science can I get applicable post-graduate credit for taking this SF Alden shell cordovan class on-line? I noticed the mismatched cap toes right away, searching bl@sters photos meticulously for a way to trick my mind. Around this thread Ravello coloured boots are like smack to a junkie. Oh well, time to start stashing away shoe money.

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I need to take that class as well. I've been getting all my knowlege on the "streets" of StyleForum.

17. Shouldaville

Shouldaville Senior member

So EG is doing MTO in whiskey (maybe other exotics at trunk show?). I'd certainly prefer to see more of this shell show up at Alden.

[​IMG]

18. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Edward Green has been doing MTO cordovan shoes in whiskey, burgundy, navy, black, etc for a while. While nice, they must approach $2,000 per order now. I doubt they sell a meaningful amount of cordovan MTOs.

19. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

With ordering the two pairs, you also only need to get a good right and a good left if you split the pairs.
    I proxied some J Crew Aldens for a buddy who had me order two pairs. Had to send him a boatload of pics to figure out which specific shoes met his OCD standards.

1 person likes this.
  20. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I would be afraid to split pairs as I would think the final color would be closer within the same pair rather than between 2 pairs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.