***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah that is what I thought too, poster said $1300 for EG shell, was asking him where that price exists

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Funny. I got a pair of those today too. Same size. They've got a similar variation in grain.
    I've got a pair of grain Tricker's which are that way too. My BBBF black grain LWBs are pretty uniform though.

Sizing on these chukkas feel pretty much the same as my other Barrie chukkas.

They feel like they've been sitting on some shelf since Autumn 2007.

3. creacher

creacher Member

Late to the party here but yes, only Unionmade has this exact combo with the neocork. I have and love these boots, bought them around this time last year and only now have they restocked. Fit/feel exactly like Indy's and I usually alternate between these and 403's in the winter. Here's mine after applying some pitch blend.

[​IMG]

An unrelated note: picked these up from Sid Mashburn last weekend. First Ravello shoes for me and last size in stock (other than a 9.5D on display).
    Can anyone identify the last? Appears to be Aberdeen but was told it was "custom" in store.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

Was wondering the same thing since my calf Dovers that I just got cost that.

5. izach

izach Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how much experience you have with manufacturing. Expansion isn't an easy thing. Alden isn't expanding, they are just taking advantage of their capability to hold the market by the .... Why expand when customer are willing (in these days of age) to wait 10+ weeks for horse hide light brown delivery.

6. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

A bit too much for me, frankly.

7. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

Copley runs TTS for me, was the best fitting last right out of the box for me, 1/2 size down barrie is just behind it for me. I wish more shoes were made on it.

8. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Can't really tell without a shot from directly above or below. If they fit TTS, they may be Aberdeen. Otherwise I'd say it's barrie. I like this PTB without the 360 storm welt. Looks similar to the BB PTB except for the eyelets. Congrats on a wonderful pick up... wear in great health!

9. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

10. CalceoAdamator

CalceoAdamator Senior member

10+ weeks? More like 10+ months (and that would be good)... LOL... Supply and demand management... Keep them hungry for the product...

11. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

Quote: So the marlow size 8.5 is very much an Alden Hampton last - which is narrower than Barrie with a similar toe box that is just a bit trimmer on each side. Since they are bluchers the top arch gets extra room and that arch is just as tight as my Hampton last balmoral cap toes when first out of the box. The length along the bottom soul 1/8 longer than a size 8 Barrie balmoral and width is a hard call soul to soul. One shoe is a bit tighter and mostly along the top arch just behind the pinky toe, that area is easy to stretch and stretches the most during break-in. When tied it looks to have a perfect spacing between flaps. I may call these TTS so up size from Barrie if you have Hampton that last is closest but the marlow may also be close to Tremont as far as width along the outer arch and also they feel flat for now, I like the fit on the ankle and instep and expext the outer mid area to loosen nicely after two wears out in the field.
    So as an 8E Barrie I went 8.5D Marlow. I get Aldens for the ability they had to custom fit. So the Marlow toe box leaves just enough room any tighter and I would never wear them as I prefer the room with out sacrificing to wrong length. Still these are less tight than another pair I had out of the box in my true Alden size on that last and those now feel big somedays. Bought these by mail with fit recommendation from this thread and people here are pros or very experienced so thanks to you SF gurus.
    Quote:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

12. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

It fits more true to size, narrower and shorter than barrie.

13. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Thanks for the info. So it sounds like I should jump on them if they have my size in stock? I would like them for this Fall. I'd hate to have to wait till next year.

14. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Hey Resistant, do your new Marlows have an issue where the heel plane doesn't align with the sole? Meaning, if you hold the heel against a flat surface, are the soles elevated? I just got mine today and sent them back for replacements because of that. It was putting a lot of pressure at the front of the heel.

15. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Mine do that to a small degree. I've never noticed it while wearing them however do notice the front part of the heel has more wear. I expect it will even out as the heel wears down more over time and the soles loosen up.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.