• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

calidist

Reaction score

I am curious if anyone has ideas how to minimize the pictured creasing. This occurred on my first wear after a couple of hours. This has never happened to me with previous calf styles. These are on the Plaza last in my typical size--meaning that I have not stretched them a great deal due to improperly small sizing. I did my normal brush, Reno, brush, and buff before the first wearing. The creasing was not evident before the first wearing. Any thoughts on what I can do to address the creasing? Would a deer bone maybe help? I would expect this sort of creasing after a significant period of use, but I am a little alarmed it occurred so quickly.

Last edited:

CalceoAdamator

Reaction score
I was snooping around TSMs page on lunch and thought that these we pretty cool. Would be a good look for summer.

Those are nice... but I liked these better from Union Made...

I like the chromexcel/suede rather than suede/suede combo... Mine have shipped and I am waiting on them...

CalceoAdamator

Reaction score
Yes it's comical. I have chronic sleep problems and often get out of bed a 2,3,4 am when I get tired of tossing and turning. It always amazes me how active this thread is even at those late hours.

I'm just posting here to say how ridiculous this thread can be. 105 replies in less than 24 hours.

*disillusioned*

My better half thinks that we are all nuts... LOL... And cannot understand why "guys take pictures of their shoes and put them on the Internet" .... Hysterical...

shaunw

Reaction score
Those are nice... but I liked these better from Union Made...

I like the chromexcel/suede rather than suede/suede combo... Mine have shipped and I am waiting on them...

How about these....just received them yesterday. AOC circa 2006/2007

REguy

Reaction score

I am curious if anyone has ideas how to minimize the pictured creasing. This occurred on my first wear after a couple of hours. This has never happened to me with previous calf styles. These are on the Plaza last in my typical size--meaning that I have not stretched them a great deal due to improperly small sizing. I did my normal brush, Reno, brush, and buff before the first wearing. The creasing was not evident before the first wearing. Any thoughts on what I can do to address the creasing? Would a deer bone maybe help? I would expect this sort of creasing after a significant period of use, but I am a little alarmed it occurred so quickly.
I once had a pair of brown calf chukkas where the leather did a similar thing in the creases. It looked absolutely awful. I chalked it up to just getting some crap hides and moved on. I hate to say this, but they won't get any better no matter what you do either.

jmemt

Reaction score
I have never had this problem but I would be concerned if I did. Do they both have the same sole? If they are both double leather than maybe they are too hard? Do you notice any Overpronation or Underpronation?
All three are leather soles. I wear an insert in them now but it is off the shelf. Maybe something custom would be better. I will have to look into that.

jmemt

Reaction score
If your knees ache on the interior (where they would touch each other) it's likely you overpronate and have a collpased or collapsing arch. It is possible that you need or usually wear shoes with greater arch support and in these Aldens (which are very flat) you will experience pain.

As mentioned before, the Modified Last does have a high arch, as it is an orthopedic shoe. While I myself have a slight natural arch - it also collapses. Thankfully, I can wear flatter shoes so long as the waist is wider. I find that using heel taps can cause greater knee pain for some people, as they make the shoe less flat and tilt your knees in. Obviously, this is hardly noticeable for some, but for people who are sensitive to changes like that - proceed with caution.
I will have to look into getting something with a Modified Last to give it a spin. I guess it would be a good thing and a bad thing if I had to sell my shoes and start over, eh?

Hermitedge

Reaction score
for those who have the pleasure of wearing this suede tassel:

1. Doe they look funny with socks? Do you wear them with chinos/jeans/slacks?

2. Copley last run TTS?

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got the black fleece chukkas today, grain on one shoe is almost gone is this from sun wear or from creasing? Not really noticeable when wearing but a bit curious. Posting from mobile so click to enlarge

Also find this pair (10.5d) to fit tighter than my shell lwb which is a 10d fwiw

Last edited:

calidist

Reaction score
I once had a pair of brown calf chukkas where the leather did a similar thing in the creases. It looked absolutely awful. I chalked it up to just getting some crap hides and moved on. I hate to say this, but they won't get any better no matter what you do either.

This is what I'm afraid of. I can't return them now since they're worn. Do you think there is any utility to calling or emailing Alden about it? What is Alden's factory email address even?

ElliottPapineau

Reaction score

This is what I'm afraid of.  I can't return them now since they're worn.  Do you think there is any utility to calling or emailing Alden about it?  What is Alden's factory email address even?

I also have a few plaza lasted Alden's. Cap-toe blucher, monk, and chukka. I've had the monk for 5 years and the creasing has eased as the leather has softened with wear and time. I would not be worried about the creasing. Also, do not build up the polish on the creased areas. This will highlight the creases.

Elliott

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads