***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

True Statement.

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

If you haven't already, take a look at the plaza last. It changes the look immensely IMO.

3. bespoken pa

If you haven't already, take a look at the plaza last. It changes the look immensely IMO.

4. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Where does one find a PTB on the Plaza?

5. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I am on an exposed eyelets kick. I wish more of my shoes had exposed eyelets. Great shoe. Wear in good health.

6. bespoken pa

My first pair of Aldens were a plaza ptb in tan calf I purchased from mgoldberg in new orleans.

7. david3558

david3558 Senior member

I wouldn't say there are benefits of one over the other, but they are certainly different. The unlined one will feel roomier, you get lining but only towards the back/heel area - the rest of the shoe, well - is unlined. It's not going to feel a whole lot roomier, but it'll feel as if you're wearing a thinner sock, so the shoe is looser. It'll be a lot more flexible too. Tends to work well on suede shoes, IMO. Unlined shell is pretty nice too, but I've only got to experience unlined shell in the form of a tongue on a boot. David

8. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Unlined Alden suede is slipper-like in its comfort.

I have both an unlined suede chukka and a lined suede chukka. At arms (or foot's) length, one would be hard pressed to identify which is which. But the unlined is so light and forgiving, I just love them. It's the perfect warm weather travel shoe.

9. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I cannot speak for the split toe. I really do not have a strong feeling to own any. Same with the chukka. I purchased a pair after it seemed everyone here raved about them but I just do not think they fit my style.

As for suede, I love it. I had doubts because I was ignorant and though high (to me) end suede would be fragile and stain, blah. blah blah.

Well I picked up to pairs of white suede Alden's in one week. First I ordered some white suede bucks off the seconds list. A couple of days later I walked into Alden DC and they had a white suede saddle shoe one sale for a price I could not pass up so I grabbed those.

I had doubts about white bucks as I have NEVER worn them before. But since I had two pairs of white I just forgot about getting them dirty, stained or scuffed. Now I cannot wait to break them out (soon!). I wear them all summer, with and without socks. As a matter of fact I wore them at a beach wedding and it was perfect.

Later that year I picked up a pair of snuff suede plain toe boots with crepe soles off of the seconds list. Again I had some fears about getting them stained or messing them up. Now I love them and appreciate them for the ability to wear them in rain and even mud. I still do not like wearing shell in rain because of a bad experience with water spots, but suede is like this magic leather that I have grown to love. I think it is right behind chromexcel with cordovan for me.

Here is a pic of the white suede saddle shoes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are the boots in Mexico:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have to add that I was anti crepe for a while but have also grown to love crepe through actual use.

10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Suede shoes present a number of advantages
    1) Easy to break in / flexible
    2) The texture of the suede adds character
    3) The colors of the suede (particularly tan and navy) are interesting and contrast well with a lot of clothing items
    4) Very comfortable in the spring and summer
    5) They just look cool. Suede shoes are attention grabbers in a good way
    6) Alden in particular does suede very well. Unlined suede on a flex welt just feels different than most other shoes on the market, even high end suede.
    As I have said a few times, if I had to have only 5 Aldens, at least one would be suede.

The split toe pattern is found in many shoes... I like it a lot on my barrie tankers, but my cigar NST bluchers on Aberdeen literally looked too much line an "almond" for me. A few people have mentioned Edward Green Dovers, which look great to me (I don't own any). I've seen a bunch of attractive NST shoe models at Leffot, but they typically aren't from Alden.

11. marnomuth

marnomuth Member

Hi, all. I just picked up my second pair of Aldens. My first pair I purchased at Alden DC, however my latest pair was purchased online. I have a question regarding proper sizing. I wear a 7.5 D in an Indy boot, so I ordered an 8 D LWB on a Leydon last. Upon examining the shoes, I noticed that they looked longer than most of the other shoes that I own. I'll include a photo to better represent my fit. The red circles illustrate where my big toe sits. There is an index finger sized gap in the heel section when my feet are slide forward while wearing a standard thickness dress sock. Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

Note: I normally wear a size 8 D shoe. My feet measure just under 10 inches.

12. stmaier

stmaier Senior member

I am a fan of the NST. I like the look of the Aberdeen NST on a boot and Alden NY does a NST slip-on on the Grant last which I think is a fantastic makeup. Would love to see how a grant lasted NST boot would look.

13. green garden

green garden Senior member

Very nice. Any difference in size with the lined vs. unlined? Did you have to size down? Or are the unlined proportionally smaller already?

14. jereth

jereth Active Member

Thanks everyone for convincing me that I actually need a + $600 pair of boots. Just ordered J Crew cap toe cord boot. They had one pair left in my size.

15. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Its hit or miss really both with their service and selection

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.