***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Headed out to SF within the next week or two. Looking forward to some shopping out there

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

The SF Alden shop rocks. Uniqlo for some socks too.

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Thanks. You are liking the uniqlo socks? Which ones?

Probably try and hit a few places for denim. I like raw denim and SF has some cool options

4. phototristan

Yes, liking the Uniqlo socks quite a bit. They have an entire wall of different colors/patterns (downstairs, basement level). I bought some of the regular ones 4 for $9.90 as well as some of the premium 'Pima' ones 3 for $9.90. It hasn't been long enough for me to tell how long they will last but the premium ones feel a bit nicer although they are all quite nice.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I can't stand those guys at the tannery and they have never had my size (10.5D) in a shell shoe or boot.

Cool store downstairs. I assume its different ownership/management?

6. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

Wilderness Workshop is a completely different animal than the Tannery upstairs. I can't comment on who owns it, but the dude who runs it (jason) is a class act and everyone who works there has been nothing but friendly and helpful.

Contrast that with upstairs where it's high pressure sales by dudes who really aren't well informed on what they're selling.
    I had one guy tell me he owns every Alden model that the store carries, but was flummoxed when I asked him which Alden last fit his foot the best.
    Another time a different du asked if my whiskey bluchers were made by Stacy Adams.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

7. terradilavoro

terradilavoro Senior member

Dear Alden Fellows,

I had the luck to get a pair of unlined Tan Suede PTB Dover Pattern at my local/German Alden stockist. The shoes are marked with 29332F.

[​IMG]

I bought them 1/2 size smaller and same width as all other Barrie lasted Aldens. The sales agent wasn't sure on what last these shoes are built.

Could anyone confirm these are Barrie lasted shoes, please?

cheerio
    Joachim

PS After i stumbled about the information a few pages ago Alden DC offers the unlined PTB No. 8 on the flex sole i get in touch with Kathy today - and luckily i got the chance to get my pair shipped to Germany. I was looking after these beauties for the 1st time i discovered them at LSH and Tassels 2 years ago. What a lucky day :slayer:

8. phototristan

Yep, Barrie last: http://unionmadegoods.com/Alden_Arthur_Unlined_Suede_Dover_in_Tan_29332F_3602.html

9. Countingsheep

Countingsheep Senior member

Taylor Stitch actually does suits. I've never tried them but next time I can get up there from LA I definitely plan on it. I love everything else they make... Might work for you in SF

10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Can I ask why you sized down from your other Barrie shoes? I have the snuff suede ones and wear the same size as my other Barries.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

In a word, splendid. I really like (and own) this shoe. I also have the EG dark oak Dover (split-toe) and a C&J for BB split-toe. All are browns, but different enough to justify them all. The split-toe is very versatile IMO.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

A good question indeed.

My unlined snuff suede PTB from Unionmade is probably my tightest fitting Barrie shoe (same size as my other Barrie models).

13. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Can I ask a question? So I really have never understood the attraction to split toes or suede. Can someone please give me a well thought out answer to why you find either of these styles attractive?

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Suede Aldens are very underrated. I love suede for a casual spring/summer outfit

15. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

^ agree completely, Alden does suede very well. Doesn't quite carry the same cachet as shell, but they are just as useful in most wardrobes IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.