1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Distinguished Member

Producers lie. :nodding:

2. michaelpugs

michaelpugs New Member

So I'm planning on making the trek to the JCrew Ludlow shop at Copley to size/pick up some Aldens on Tuesday (I'm an associate, otherwise my budget couldn't manage!) and I'm debating between a few styles. Which of these would be a good first pair?

Indy Hummus Suede (I know they're not terribly well liked around here)
    the suede snuff boots
    [​IMG]
    the gunboats
    [​IMG]
    the perforated cap toe oxford boot (been eyeing these for a while, but they have been out of stock online for ages - limited edition - but maybe I'll get lucky!)
    [​IMG]

I'm also considering the plain toe boots... it will really depend on what they have in store and how I feel in person. Either way a pair is coming home with me!

And so it begins...

3. Ahab

Ahab Distinguished Member

I am not sure why these are on the Women's section? This is what Kim Jong Un wears.

4. phototristan

phototristan Distinguished Member

Prince:

[​IMG]

5. einstine

einstine Distinguished Member

Send the boot that fits tighter to Alden and they could stretch it slightly. Should be worth it if you are experiencing discomfort.

6. Arizor

Arizor Senior Member

Great advice, thanks guys. Actually my cobbler round the corner does exactly that stretching on a machine, might give it a go.

7. El Argentino

El Argentino Distinguished Member

You do realize that now, with your confession, you will be socially pressured into spreading your associate discount amongst board members, correct? And you realize that your good standing will only be confirmed by conceding to such social pressure and thus spreading the Alden love?

I'm an 11.5B/D on Barrie and TruB for reference, and thank you ahead of time. I'll pm you my wish list.

8. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior Member

They're using tables for layout. How very 90s of them.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

9. haiglarsen

haiglarsen Well-Known Member

Please report back and let us know how this works out. I'm in the same boat as you and I usually size for the larger foot, but sometimes that size isn't available and I've tried sizing to the smaller foot with varying degrees of success. Always considered stretching, but never went ahead with it.

10. jimney

jimney Senior Member

At least it isn't frames?

11. zazaza

zazaza Distinguished Member

Hard to say without knowing what you normally wear and intend to pair them with, but when I dropped in there a couple weeks ago I saw they have a #8 shell straight cap blucher. I'd be hard pressed to think of a shoe they carry that has more utility than that one.

12. david3558

david3558 Senior Member

Unless you, michaelpugs, are a special J.Crew employee - I would ask you to not waste your time to make that 'trek', as you're not going to get your employee discount. I know this because I have a bunch of friends who work not only for J.Crew but that particular shop. I had to buy my longwings full price while I could get some merchandise for sale + 60% off. Just sayin' 3rd party merchandise there, especially Aldens are particularly strict and I doubt the manager is going to let you get it discounted. You'd have better luck going to The Tannery and offering to pay cash in exchange for a % discount. (you didn't hear it from me)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013

13. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior Member

14. sazon

sazon Distinguished Member

Been waiting for a nice, dry spring day to give these gunboats their maiden voyage.
    [​IMG]

15. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Distinguished Member

quick question for those of you with Indy boots, have you ever experienced chafing around the ankle/calf area as a result of the height of the boot?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.