• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone here used the Shell Plain Toe Blucher for military uniforms? 

I see it done all the time; well, maybe most of them are calf but PTB are fine.

This is a great combo with that grey and the antique welt. Good pairing.

Thanks EA! Been neglecting my shells during the weekend, especially my Whiskey

Very nice.

Thanks PD!

^ but they don't fill out the vamp or the toe for that matter :confused:

I'm sure Swingline can take care of this. I use Woodlore Epic trees for most of my Alden boots.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just browsing the BBBF sale and stumbled upon these womens cordovan longwings:

Last edited:

CalceoAdamator

Reaction score

I regret not snagging these when I had the chance...  very nice my friend!

Thanks... They are sweet... I darkened them up slightly with dark brown sapphire cordovan cream and dark brown wax... They're kinda between a whiskey and ravello right now... And I have a few regrets of my own too... I think that's just part of "the addiction" LOL

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me a good cedar shoe tree to buy for Alden Indy Boots in 10 D. Thanks

I really like the Woodlore Epic (double tube/shaft) trees for the Barrie and Trubalance lasts. They fill the large toe boxes really well.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Color 8 Longwings, Antique Edge, Double Waterlock soles from Leffot

American Gunboats in formation

I have a black pair on order, may add a suede at some point as well. All 9.5E.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm surprised the Barrie is longer than the Trubalance in the same size. 

These are both 9.5E. The tankers on the right (Barrie) are a bit longer than the Indy boots on the left (Trubalance)

(these color on these boots look similar in this photo but they look very different outdoors in better lighting)

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here used the Shell Plain Toe Blucher for military uniforms?
There was a thread on AAAC a year or two ago about replacement shoes for the Bates military shoe and black shell AE & Alden's were listed as an option.

I retired long enough ago that Naples was still called the armpit of the Med and Humpty Dumpty was still alive and sat on the wall yet. No one would have dreamed of purchasing clothing there either. So my experience is dated however don't believe the concept is. My only concern with shell PTB is the rolls. Half of my shell boots and shoes, eight of them, are plain toes and for a reason. I have a pretty good idea of what sizes work for me in what brands and how they are going to look. Just a couple small rolls and where they belong IMO. You don't have to look hard to find examples of PTB's that have multiple large rolls and IMO do not belong with a dress uniform. If you are certain of how they will look down the road go for it. With a little work you will look better than anyone else around you. Then again if they don't work out for a military uniform once you retire and hit CivLand, and even before that, you can still wear them. Good luck and waiting to see pics!!

I really like the Woodlore Epic (double tube/shaft) trees for the Barrie and Trubalance lasts. They fill the large toe boxes really well.
Same here. I really like the high vamp of the Epic and use them in most all my boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads