***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. batardo

batardo Member

Thanks much! 9D it is.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Dundee on AE's 1 last - 10D
    Chukka and other Alden Barrie lasted shoes and boots - 9D

4. Brucekoyle

Brucekoyle New Member

5. batardo

batardo Member

Those look extremely nice, and I'd certainly get them if I could. Unfortunately Leffot doesn't ship outside North America. C'est la vie, I guess.

6. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I personally would get the 975 over Leffot's latest version. I have owned two color 8 models with the antique edge. I eventually changed the edging to black. Just a personal thing I guess ...

8. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Greetings All, this is my inaugural post... I decided that I would do a family photo for my first post.

From front to rear, left to right:
    (Front Row): Allen Edmonds Park Avenue (Black Calf), Allen Edmonds McAllister (Black Calf), Allen Edmonds McTavish (Black Calf), Allen Edmonds Player's Shoe (Walnut Calf), Allen Edmonds Broadstreet (Walnut Calf)
    (Middle Row): Allen Edmonds Strand (Walnut Shell Cordovan), Allen Edmonds Highway 1 (Brown Calf), Alden NST (Ravello Shell Cordovan), Ralph Lauren Marlow WT (Brown Shell Cordovan - Brand New Today!)
    (Back Row): Allen Edmonds Dalton (Burgundy Shell Cordovan), Alden Chukka (Color 8 Shell Cordovan), Alden Perf Cap Toe (Color 8 Shell Cordovan), Alden Tassel Loafer (Color 8 Shell Cordovan), Allen Edmonds Cambridge (Burgundy Shell Cordovan)

[​IMG]

It took me a while to discover Alden as there was an AE retailer close to me, but I am now hooked on Alden. My whole collection started as being Allen Edmonds, but Alden shoes have slowly been taking over my recent acquisitions. I have an Alden LHS Ravello, Alden Short Wing Balmoral (Whiskey), and an Alden LWB (Ravello) all on order and am (im)patiently awaiting them (some day).

Below are some closeups of my Aldens...

First up are my Color 8 Perforated Cap Toes. These are actually factory seconds (I think they are seconds due to a few dark spots with excess die), but they have achieved a very nice patina as can be seen here.

[​IMG]

Next up, are actually my first Alden's from San Francisco, the Tasseled Loafers in Color 8...

[​IMG]

These are my first dabble into Ravello via the NST. Its got a beautiful color, I am still debating if I like this shell better or the Allen Edmonds Strand in the Walnut Shell Cordovan (which they only offered for 2 months or so). Regardless, its a beautiful color. I have been working very hard at brushing away those creases.

[​IMG]

Last but not least, my Color 8 Chukkas.

[​IMG]

I have been lurking and reading the forums for a while and wanted to start with a family photo. I had the day off, so I thought that it would be a perfect opportunity to finally bring out the camera and shoes. I was also excited about running down to get the new RL Marlow Short Wings (25% off is hard to pass up on)... Sadly, I got my first pair of Allen Edmonds only a little over a year ago, and they seem to have reproduce into 14 pairs of shoes!

9. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

As you could see in my previous post, I have a pair of McTavish'es as well. My experience is that the McTavish runs 1/2 size long, which is similar to the Barrie last. I normally wear 10.5C, but on the McTavish I got 10D and similarly on my Chukka's (also on the Barrie Last), I got 10D. I think that the general rule of thumb is that shoes on the Barrie last run 1/2 size larger than "true size", so size down 1/2 size when purchasing.

-Mdubs

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I am the same as Mdubs with the McTavish. The McTavish are on the 5 last which is my favorite last of any manufacture. I have 3 shell shoes, 5 calf and 3 rough collection shoes in dublin leather which includes the McTavish on the #5. For the dublin leather I sized down a half size from my other 5 last 10D (which is TTS) and wear a 9.5D which is the same size as my Barrie last.

However feet and fit varies as shown by Seven and ReppTiePrepster. Good luck, I would go with the same size as your McTavish.

11. CalceoAdamator

CalceoAdamator Senior member

I agree... The 975's are "the" classic... And I would recommend going down a half size... That's what Alden recommends as a general rule I thumb for the Barrie last (albeit some may find additional variance)... Good luck and enjoy your new gunboats!

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Ruh-oh, forgot to bring shoe trees and its been raining a bunch the last few days...

[​IMG]

13. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

14. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I also have the McTavish and I sized 1/2 down. I think you should order the same size in the Barrie as your McTavish. It worked for me.

15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Whiskey PTB [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.