1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

There's more to your story. I was in Philly a few weeks ago and went by Sherman Brothers. I wear 13D but already had a cigar chukka. According to one of the managers...some guy bought those shoes on layaway, made payments over several years, would come in the store and wear them around the store but quit paying on them. The $550 price is what they offered me too. Very nice pairs of cigar chukkas. I posted a few times on this forum about them. Glad you got your coworker into some nice Alden's

See Ya,
    Steve

2. totalair1

totalair1 Senior member

Aldenwear-very true story about CrackAlden Addict. I tried Shoemart recently and they had Nada in size 13 or 14. Ironically I also had seen those 1#D Cigar chukkas at Sherman Brothers but already had a pair but passed on them. It's a small Alden World out there!

See Ya,
    Steve

3. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Great story, I enjoyed reading. Thx for sharing.

4. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

jah786 - brace yourself for death glares from his wife at every company holiday party henceforth! :D

5. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Ralph Lauren Lindricks or Gianni cordo boots about $654 + tax at Ralph site. McCallum chukkas or Lincolnshire munks about $600. All made by C&J.
    No Marlowes.
    ralphlauren.com/presale
    Use code MPRE13.

1 person likes this.
  6. katch

katch Senior member

Quote:Ugh. Now I have to buy more shoes...

7. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

When is that ever not true?

8. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

Does anyone know if the 8.5D RL Gianni boot be equivalent to my 8D Barrie foot?

9. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Unlikely - you likely need your Barrie size. This is true for me with Lindricks and Marlow -- and the Gianni looks to be a wider last.

10. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I think some guy on the C&J for RL thread said the Gianni runs slightly big.
    I went with Barrie sizing on my order.

For reference, I take same size in Lindrick/Marlowe/Barrie.
    The Lindricks/Marlowes fit on the snugger side compared to the Barries.

11. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I haven't used any yet. If/when I do, I will likely use tan as that is what Alden recommends. Also, I would prefer that my ravello LWB not get any darker, but that may not be avoidable. The brown paste wax would probably work just as well, but may aid in giving it a darker looking patina.

In any case, when using the paste wax, you're applying such a thin layer and then essentially removing most of it when buffing it out. There is very little being built up, unlike polish for calf shoes. For this reason, I prefer Alden's paste wax. With Saphir's burgundy or dark brown Cordovan cream, a layer of crap builds up on the surface and gives it a matted, unattractive look (even with an extremely thin layer). I wish I had never applied that stuff to my Cigar LWBs. I still get stuff coming off of it when I brush and buff. Seems like many here use the neutral Saphir cordovan cream. Maybe it's better.

12. ReppTiePrepster

13. AHS

AHS Senior member

Thanks. I thought that they might be Aldens because of the font. Anyone have experience iDing older Alden models?

14. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

RTP! That combo sizing always makes me think of the possibility of modifying the heel width in the Barrie - a "D width" shoe which is an A/D for example, instead of the standard B/D. But based on several inquiries, it Alden appears won't make an A/D, which makes me wonder why they bother specifiying the combo sizing in the first place.

2 people like this.
  15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I wear 9D Barrie and 9.5D in Marlow and Lindrick.

I previously purchased the Gianni in 9.5D and it was too big. It was returned. I found the Gianni significantly more roomy overall than the Marlow or Lindrick.

The sale price on the Lindrick is downright silly. It is, IMO, one of the best looking shell boots made, regardless of maker.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  16. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I thought I was done with cordovan boots, but the Lindricks are calling my name. I feel like Pachino in Godfather 3.

17. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Email the customer service link on their corporate website (or call them). The few times I've had to email them they've been very helpful and very fast. If anybody would know definitively if those were Aldens, they would.

18. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

19. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Hi Folks,

Any opinions on or in-the-wild pics related to the Leffot Greenwich boot in reverse tobacco chamois? I was thinking that it might make a nice beater boot for rainy days paired with denim. I'm also curious about fit. I know that some Barrie boots cause trouble for folks by feeling tighter than their Barrie shoe counterparts, but that this varies as a function of the type of material and perhaps anatomical variations.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

20. ReppTiePrepster

I think they used to do custom orders like that at one time. Not so anymore though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.