• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

str1185

Reaction score

Ha, sitting on a cabana chair. Folks inside are snorting cocaine, too heavy for a Alden shell head

Given its one in the morning EST and I just got home and finished brushing my boots, and am now reading the Alden thread, I think my shell addiction might be worse than anything I can put up my nose.

Plus, at least my dealers have great websites with pretty pictures...

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Tis all in the marketing.

Winterbourne

Reaction score
Has anyone found that J.Crew ships a wishlisted item (ie., shell cordovan cap toe boots) sooner than the given expected ship date?

Winterbourne

Reaction score

Been a while friends. Cigar LWBs, waiting in line for the mall Easter Bunny.

Edit: Wow, looking amazingly chocolatey today compared to other days.

That's a great look. Did you have the pants altered at all?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For some reason this makes me sad. Best of luck with whatever the future brings. :confused:

+1, NYIslander has been a valuable contributor to this thread and others on SF.  I have always enjoyed your pics
nod%5B1%5D.gif
and posts, and I appreciate your particular style.  All the best...

Thanks guys...hopefully if things go according to plan, I'll be back in the market sooner rather than later! Plus I will not be selling off my Blue Suede LWBs, Cigar Brixton, Ultimate #8 Jumper, and LSxSE Conservation Boot (which may be my favorite pair of shoes/boots due to just how damn comfortable that hated wedge sole is.

Speaking of ebay, a pair of (used) #8 wingtip boots is listed with a starting bid at $885... :uhoh:

Probably aimed at the Japanese market, where folks have been known to pay waaaaaayyyyyy over US retail for Aldens.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Alden suede owners I have a quick question. I just got a pair of snuff plain toes and noticed this odd spot

Is this something normal that should brush out? Or is it an issue? I naturally tried brushing it with my finger a bit to see if it was a bit of extra material that would wipe off, but it didn't.

Reposting for a little guidance

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like I am on a bad streak with the quality from Alden lately...my Ravello Chukkas had that long mark and now this off spot on the suede. I really wish for the price and the hoops needed to jump through to acquire these that I could have complete confidence in what would arrive at the end

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ those guys wear Italian shoemakers

Smh

Cole Haan is made in Italy?

Nice boots. Hoping the Cigar straight tip from DC will have another run so I can pick up a pair.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Reposting for a little guidance

Hi rydenfan, It is really hard for me to tell from the pic. I cannot even tell if it is a shoe or boot. I have snuff suede boots and I find the suede to be surprisingly tough. I am not the kind of guy that likes to send things back so I would probably take a really soft old toothbrush and see what happens. To me it looks like where the other shoe was rubbing it during shipping and should not be an issue.

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score
Happy inaugural Patina Sunday (if you're choosing to celebrate) and Easter (if you're into that sort of thing).

My collection is less than a year old and hasn't aged much so I've chosen a photo posted previously in this thread. Taken at Leather Soul Hawaii, both of these shoes are color 8 NSTs. This photo was originally taken and posted by member Dexter_ in 2010. Coincidentally, it appears the aged shoe's color is somewhere between a paska and kielbasa.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone found that J.Crew ships a wishlisted item (ie., shell cordovan cap toe boots) sooner than the given expected ship date?
I have seen and experienced this before. Not the norm, but a welcome surprise when it works out.
That's a great look. Did you have the pants altered at all?
Thank you - no, the pants are unaltered. I did do a hot wash and hot dry upon purchase to shrink them up a bit. Still probably need to be taken in in the waist and seat (very essential information based on the pic, I know...).
Happy inaugural Patina Sunday (if you're choosing to celebrate) and Easter (if you're into that sort of thing).
My collection is less than a year old and hasn't aged much so I've chosen a photo posted previously in this thread. Taken at Leather Soul Hawaii, both of these shoes are color 8 NSTs. This photo was originally taken and posted by member Dexter_ in 2010. Coincidentally, it appears the aged shoe's color is somewhere between a paska and kielbasa.
:laugh: That color difference is very cool... and continues to aid me in my suspicion that all shell evolves to the same mid-brown eventually. "Rare" shell colors are, in fact, a hoax. :paranoia:

Last edited:

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if by wishlisted you mean a product that has a delivery date further out than normal shipping.. all 4 pair of Aldens purchased from them have arrived earlier than quoted.. I remember reading somewhere that the CEO of Jcrew admits that they would prefer to quote a date and then exceed expectation by delivering earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads