***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

There's not really much to elaborate on wrt the shell shortage of 2007-2008. Just search for threads on SF and Ask Andy.
    There was plenty of speculation then too. You can even find some comment from mcarther that are more than just "wear in good health".

During that time Cigar, Whiskey, and Ravello were in very short supply. Especially Whiskey and Ravello.

2. Briar Snob

Briar Snob Senior member

+2

3. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

These arrived in the mail yesterday. [​IMG] [​IMG] Alden Foot Balance System leather insoles. I called Alden the week before last and and told them that I wear an 11D in my PTB's and LWB's and that I wanted some insoles to help take up some of the extra volume. I was told they had a thin leather insole, which is what I got, and some which would better be classified as orthotics. I thought $40 was a bit stiff for two pair of insoles until I saw how perfectly they fit into my shoes. [​IMG] [​IMG] Even though the PTB's were my first Alden's, I was a little sanguine toward them because of their very generous proportions. Now with these insoles I can wear dress socks without having to tie the shoes so tight that its cutting off the blood flow to my feet. I can see wear Alden's history in corrective and special footwear comes from. If you thought Alden's were comfortable before these insoles take them to the next level. BTW my PTB's are looking kinda dull. I've got some Reno, #8 shell cordovan wax, and some brushes. Does anyone have their own special recipe for getting that high gloss Uncle Mac shine?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

4. Briar Snob

Briar Snob Senior member

I'm a Barrie 12.5D with a fairly wide foot. I was able to fit in a Grant 13D very comfortably and didn't need to go up or out.

5. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

Guys,
    This is all tulipomania.
    the rare shells are not going to disappear, and even if they are out of the game for a couple of years they will come back. its too profitable for the companies involved not to find a way to get them back out there--and, on that note, part of this is surely hype to make it seem as though there is going to be some horrible shortage to make people want to stock up as much as they can right now.

6. CalceoAdamator

CalceoAdamator Senior member

I don't know what you guys have against black shell... I have about a half dozen pairs and they look awesome with suits... And nice grab on those cap toes... They look sweet...

7. CalceoAdamator

CalceoAdamator Senior member

Nice! Look really comfortable...

8. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

I have not noticed much difference in fit throughout the day. However, if I had to say, shoes feel tighter first thing in the morning and it seems that I will often untie and tighten the laces during the day. My Alden LWBs are also my most comfortable shoes.

9. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Chromexcel makes a great leather for casual longwings. These are from Leffot - both these and their natural cousins will be my go to longwings on weekends this summer

[​IMG]

11. ReppTiePrepster

To those who have the J Crew snuff suede LWB (and possibly Leffot's version of this in blue suede), how do they fit compared to the shell LWB. I know all three are on the barrie, but was curious if the fit is different. Also, is the suede LWB lined? I assume it is. I have the J Crew unlined suede PTB in camel(tan), and was wondering if the fit might be similar. Thanks in advance...

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013

12. ReppTiePrepster

Excellent choice Alcibiades... wear in great health!

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

The suede longwings are lined

IME suede longwings fit similar to cordovan versions

14. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I would lean plaza due to the toe. The seller mentionsnin the description that they would contact the seller to start the process of determining the last. Either way the boots looks awesome.

15. ReppTiePrepster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.