***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Quote: GREAT post! I do want to give a shout out to my hometown and clarify that St. Louis, MO was in fact the shoe capitol of the world, at one time, and therefore, produced far more shoes than Massachusetts or Maine.

2. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Senior member

Noticed you haven't been around in a while. New username, new avatar. Now selling all your Alden's. what gives? If you found another brand for all of us to obsess over, do share.

3. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Honestly I'd like to invest a little more $$ into the business, and these are the kicks I wear the least, and feel I could get good dough for.

Yea, these are awesome, I love them.

4. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Yeah I call bullshit on that too.

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

The Rolex stuff is probably fake though good fakes can be had if you have the right connections

There is also the real but no authorized a la new balance and stuff like that

6. Gcbrown3

Gcbrown3 Well-Known Member

It's a fact. There was a huge lawsuit and a criminal proceeding.

Not only had the watch been knocked off perfectly, but Rolex's computers had been hacked.

If a painter can knock off the masters. If US currency has to constantly be changed. If people can hack into any computer in the World, why would it surprise any of you that some Chinese syndicate couldn't make a perfect Rolex?

There is almost no single luxury good that maintains its value and can so easily be resold as a Rolex.

With no intellectual property laws and the ability to sell and trade these anywhere in the World, making a watch that can fool the experts is like printing $20,000 bills. If you make a popular stainless model that garners less scrutiny, it's like printing $3000-$6000 bills . The Chinese underworld in Guangzhou have been flooding the markets with high end fakes for some time. Why do you think Rolex has to constantly change their authenticity markings? It's because, people have figured them out.

It's just high quality stainless steel and sapphire crystal with a laser etching of a crown. If you get a valid serial, it seems like a cheap way to make a lot of money in a country where there are no puns five measures for counterfeit brand items.

We're not talking about some one of a kind toubillion constructed of gold.

A stainless submariner or Seadweller, which are the watches that were part of the story are just a series of metal parts.

if you guys don't think that the Chinese could fool Rolex, you're underestimating them.

7. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

I move to start "Patina Sundays." Post pictures of your worn Aldens or photos you find online. Bonus points for before and after re-craft/re-sole/shine photos.

8. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

There is no way that the Rolex Svc Center was fooled. Maybe a dealer, but not RSC. It's not the case that's in question, it's the movement. Once RSC opens the watch, they can determine if its is their movement or not. All current Rolex watches (and most vintage, w/the exception of the Zenith Daytona for instance) are made with in house movements. The effort and cost required to counterfeit all those parts (the entire movement) so well that it can "fool" the mfr quickly becomes cost prohibitive. Fake watches look good from the outside, not from the inside. Counterfeiters aren't trying to fool RSC, they are trying to sell to a guy who wants to impress people with a fake watch.

There are plenty of fakes good enough to fool an authorized dealer. But any RSC in the world will inspect the movement, not just the case.

If its fact, please share the article you referenced. I'd guess your friend may have been exaggerating.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

You seem to be making more shit up.
    If this was such a big deal, I'm sure you can provide us links to news stories about it.

10. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

[​IMG]

11. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

Those are beautiful boots! Aberdeen NST seems quite different to me from Plaza moc stitch. :) I just picked up the #8 versions of these boots and I'm sorely tempted to get the Plaza NST from J. Gilbert. Pretty much the only difference would be the "split" stitch, I think.

12. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Longwings
    [​IMG]

C&J shell old vs new.
    [​IMG]

13. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

You said that much better than my long winded post.

14. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

For some reason this makes me sad. Best of luck with whatever the future brings. :confused:

15. Briar Snob

Briar Snob Senior member

I'd be interested in a pair of those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.