***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

i've never seen a ravello indy make up
    only whiskey and cigar

2. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

4. ATLVol

ATLVol Senior member

Question for the unlined suede chukka owners....do you want the initial fit to be snug almost tight assuming that the sude will give, well-fitting and comfortable from the get go?

I recently picked up an 11 and 11.5 (thanks to another SF member) and am having a tough time deciding which one to keep.

5. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

ok but honestly i really can't consider that an indy boot. its a sleek plaza lasted boot with moc stitching. for me an indy boot has to be on either the trubalance or in a rarer of its incarnations the barrie.

6. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I personally don't consider anything other than the 405 the Indy Boot, but that's just me, I'm a purist for the original.

7. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Agreed. Shape is all "off."

Can't believe I'm dissing the plaza, but yes.

8. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

A lot of people here said their unlined suede chukkas stretched a lot, but that was not really the case for me. I tried a 12C and they were uncomfortably tight, so I exchanged them for a 12.5C and couldn't be happier with the fit now.

9. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

well, don't get me wrong. its a great looking boot! but its not an indy. though this contradicts my statement, there is a reason the chemist boot was called such and the cigar version of the chemist boot on the fransboone site is called something like a moc toe work boot: they aren't indy boots.
    though all of these are totally awesome.
    i think the cigar version rivals the tanker in awesomeness.

10. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

"Surpass the US" at what? And what do you mean by "lead" without original ideas? Lead at what?

As I recall, Samuel Slater ripped off British factory plans and textile technology and initiated an American version of industrialization. Alexander Hamilton essentially took the British banking system and employed it to initiate a modern American economic system.

Silk and porcelain were of Chinese origins centuries ago. Both were "borrowed" by Europeans, but their reproductions have never been quite the same. For more than 2,000 years the world including the West, has been studying Sun Tzu's The Art of War.

If you really want to delve further, Legalism, Taoism, Buddhism, Civil Service Examination System, paper money, the check/certificates of deposit, standardized system of measurements, the flame thrower, the compass, iron technology, the ship's rudder, stirrups, hot air balloons, decimal numbers. etc... I could go on with this, all have come from China.

While I'm not happy with debt we have amassed to China or the possibility that the Chinese may be hoarding all the sources of shell, I am comfortable in saying that the Chinese have made enormous "original" contributions to civilizations across the world over thousands of years.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to respond. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  11. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

thank you argentino
    thanks sir, plenty of grass here in southern california

12. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

Placed the order for these from Frans Boone on Tuesday and received them two days later. No customs charges--the box was marked as U.S. goods. No complaints here, only praise.

Sorry about the indoor lighting, but I'm not usually home when the sun is out. :)

[​IMG]

13. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

i didn't find that the suede stretched much, but because it's it unlined it is more forgiving.

14. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

That's pretty damn fast...ridiculous

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have one indy - on the TruB last in black shell. I like it, but, I probably wouldn't consider another indy unless it was the ravello indy (or whatever you wish to call it) from Frans Boone on the Plaza. Great boot!!

Some would argue the 403 and 405 belong on a construction site and nowhere else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.