1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Stunning. These have been my grail for the last year.

Green with envy. :slayer::slayer:

I love that you wear them with demin. Exactly how I would too.

2. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

I don't consider this a flaw and put it in the "to be expected" category. We ask a lot of our glue, and when you repeatedly flex it in heat, cold, dust and moisture, it tends to fail. Simple contact cement is what any cobbler would use, and I have touched up my commandos where they have separated a few times. SOP applies: clean and abrade both surfaces with emory board or sandpaper. Apply thin coat of rubber cement, and let dry until quite tacky. ( I maintain the gap with something like a screwdriver tip). Join surfaces with pressure. Done, handyman.

3. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

4. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

Previously I missed that they are relatively new, so I guess not to be expected. Still, in the big scheme of things, I wouldn't waste time money or the aggravation of taking it up with Alden or TSM.

5. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I agree w/ Dbear - Coming straight from the factory or even a Shoemart first shouldn't have one of the defining traits of a boot falling off.

I'd return.

But given the "shortage" of shell, and assuming sizing is correct and a replacement is not readily available, I'd get the $10 cobbler job.

Getting more people to repeat a theory doesn't make it true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!

(although I'm guessing it is true)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  6. Thor

Thor Senior member

7. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

Wait, who's got Ravello Chukkas for sale?:foo:

8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

snap a bunch of high quality pics saying how stunning the shoe is...and then putting it up for sale...what a coincidence

9. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I agree it's probably the smart thing to do. Sending it back to Alden or returning them certainly wouldn't achieve much as Alden knows someone will buy them anyway. Whether or not they get their money from you or someone else, they know they will be getting it. I would still send them back anyway. I wonder if anyone from Alden reads these boards. I have see CJ post on the thread in their section, it would nice to at least have someone who would be willing to tend to Aldens most dedicated buyers.

10. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

11. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I was just on their site and was really impressed. Lots of suede, which is fortunate; I feel myself moving in that direction w/ shell issues as of late. And a healthy offering of Modified last boots and shoes is a huge plus. That Brown CXL punched captoe boot looks like a good time waiting-to-be-had.

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

love that boot as well, just wish they had put a commando sole on it as opposed to the single leather as I think it would have looked better

13. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

My understanding is that Alden doesn't offer the commando sole on the Modified last, though I have also heard that Moulded can put one on for you... Go figure.

14. static age

static age Well-Known Member

What are the differences between bals and bluchers? Perhaps it's a matter of photography, but stock images of the 974 seem to be somehow more dressy than do Google Image results of "Alden short wing blucher."

15. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.