1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hkpm

hkpm Senior member

It is not hard to find uneven dye on #8 shell.
    As the uneven dye shown on your shoe is on the tongue and with 25% off,
    I will say keep them, because who can see the uneven dye when the shoes are laced except you?

2. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Because I often cross my legs when sitting it may be visible more often than it would be for those who sit with both feet on the ground. Additionally it's not like the laces will be drawn so tightly that it will cover it up. Having said that, I tend to agree with you and am leaning toward keeping. I love the shoes (minus the dark welt which I just strongly like) and at 25% off, my price was less than the cost of a comparable pair of calfskins. And your response hit on a key point that I was looking for. That being that uneven dye is not that uncommon on color 8's. My guess is that I may notice it for the first two or three wears and then forget about. Gonna think on it tonight since I would like to wear them tomorrow.

Thanks for the input.

3. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

I have kept much worse, that is all character on your boots and Saphir Cordovan cream will boost the color if you decide to go that way.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

2nd this. saphir cordovan is much more forgiving and just as effective as alden cordovan paste. alden paste tends to dry up much faster and leaves its residue behind

5. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Gentlemen, it's not that I'm lazy, but does anyone know who offers a Trubalance lasted, even though plaza lasted boots do look really cool, shell Indy boot on either a commando or crepe sole that comes with speed hooks for easy on and off. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  6. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. I've got some saphir cordovan cream. I agree that over time that will help to minimize the difference. Also, kphm was right, now that I'm wearing them around the house (Mac break-in method), when laced, it is hardly noticeable. Lastly, I've read the criticisms of the crepe sole but these things are like walking on air. I still think I prefer the feel of commando, but these are really close.

It's a wrap, I'm keeping them. Thanks for the input.

7. kennkim

kennkim Active Member

does anyone have any examples of a shell cordovan indy boot being produced on the barrie last?

I ordered a pair that was advertised as Barrie Last from Alden SF but once I received them it was obvious that they were Trubalance.

I Had my suspicions as they felt larger than a comparable barrie boot and the toe shape was off as well.
    Confirmed because they had the trubalance heel pad.
    Alden SF agreed and I returned them. Now on Alden SF's website they have corrected it to show that they are in fact trubalance.

8. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

http://www.fransboonestore.com/store/Brands-Men/alden/alden-x-fransboone-cigar-cordovan-workboot

9. BeSpiffington

kennkim, thanks for bringing to my attention the obvious fact that Indy boots are traditionally made on the Trubalance last. I shall correct my prior post for inaccuracies.

10. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

11. kennkim

kennkim Active Member

no worries.

call CitiShoes when they are open in the morning and ask for Voltaire.

he is an absolute gentleman and always provides excellent service.

they have #8 boots with the specs you wanted, hopefully they still have your size.

http://citishoes.com/indie_boots.htm

good find!

i am undecided as to whether i prefer the rounded-ness of the moc toe stitching on the barrie vs. the more squared off stitching on trubalance though

12. BeSpiffington

13. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

J gilbert just got some of these a couple of weeks ago.

14. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Yep. I just got mine from JGilbert last week.

15. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

I wear 9.5D in the Barrie and 10E in the 5 last.

16. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I am an 8D in the Barrie and the 5 last. I measure just short of 8.5 on the Brannock.

17. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Perhaps the finest whiskey model.

18. sevenfoldtieguy

Yeah, it's all a personal thing. I own, or have owned, nst's, shoes and/or boots, in plaza, aberdeen, and barrie. I actually have strong preferences for shoes and boots, as follows:

NST boots: plaza
    NST shoes: Aberdeen

19. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

Very nice whiskey LHSs. The vamp on LHSs showcases the color particularly well.

20. sevenfoldtieguy

I am 9D in Barrie and AE 5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.