***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

how does the sizing / fit compare between the shell lwb barrie & the shell chukka barrie?

can only try on shell lwb barrie ... advices appreciated.

2. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

hayburner whiskey saddles x blackbird

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. david3558

david3558 Senior member

I mean the difference isn't huge, but I've certainly noticed it. Then again, Alden has always been inconsistent in the last 3 years I've been buying them... I'm on my 4th pair of 403s (really burn through them...) and during my 2nd and 3rd pair I had to deal with some that had a really short tongue (that was below the shaft of the boot) - this is a defect.

4. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

My two favorite shells for short business trips.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013

5. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

I am on that wait also, I hope 2014 for that one.

6. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

One of my favs by far. These and your j crew #8/suede saddles are the only two that i would spend my money on. Good stuff DV! :slayer:

7. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

This is for the guys asking for generalizations about Barrie sizing with regards to style and material.

I have upwards of 25 pairs of Barrie lasted shoes and boots, 12 of which are shell.
    Although I have definitely noticed some pairs fit different than the rest, I don't think it is reasonable to make any meaningful generalizations regarding style X in material Y fits different than others. Further, the four pairs that I can think of which fit different than the others really don't fit different enough that I would take another size.

The pairs that I've noticed a sizing difference are
    Suede short wings.
    Brown CXL PTB
    Cigar shell PTB
    Natural CXL wingtip boots.
    These above four ran slightly big.
    Epaulet "Obscura" calf boots run ever so slightly smaller.

I think any variation in sizing one encounters is due more to what particular old dude made your shoe that day.

There's a limit to the accuracy with which one can use the interweb to size their shoes.
    Drawing conclusion based on style and material on the same last seems to be beyond those limits. You just need to try them on.

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Nice N, those on the TruBalance?

9. alex4nder

alex4nder Well-Known Member

This is my issue with Barries. Walking around with the LWB, my pinky toes get crowded and I get heel slip. The same size in Barrie boots is a crap shoot: my SWB is tight but fits, the NSTs I bought are just too narrow. If the 9.5E NSTs I pre-ordered don't fit well, I think I'm going to give up on the Barrie last altogether.

10. Gcbrown3

Gcbrown3 Well-Known Member

Barrie boots, Chukkas not included, seem to be TTS. For me, Chukkas and LWB run big. I found this out in an unfortunate way.

For LWB, I have to size down. I went on a rainbow spree, purchasing the Whiskey, Ravello and Cigar LWB all within 3 weeks because I liked the look and figured the sizing would be the same as boots. By the time I actually tried them on, none fit me in 9D and the 8.5D were sold out. Same issue with my Ravello Chukkas in 9D.

Also, Whiskey LWB arrived with huge scratch, Ravello LWB had severe vamp discoloration. The Cigar LWB, which was perfect I actually sent back to return for the 8.5, which was "on hold" for me and Adam pulled that money order for final sale nonesense and then when I agreed to send a money order, he never wrote me back. So that was my LWB rainbow nightmare. I also had the J. Crew, which was beautiful, but didn't fit . The moral of the story is don't power order rare colors and wait weeks to try them on.

Now, it'll be years before I have another swing at that pitch.

I hate to promote items, but the brand new Ravello Chukka is available in marketplace in 9D. I love TSM, but returns take forever and I'd rather trade it or sell it. It's a sparkling new, perfectly beautiful Ravello Chukka.....that is one size too big.

11. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

Order two shell LWBs and call me in the morning.

12. haiglarsen

haiglarsen Well-Known Member

Quote: Thank you for this. I purchased a pair as my first Aldens and sized down a half as suggested. They fit pretty well, a touch tighter than I expected considering everything I read said the Barrie last was super roomy. I attributed that to them being new, but was still second guessing my size choice. I'd be curious to know how many people here wear Barrie last TTS.

13. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

interesting. paradoxically, pinky toes getting crowded + heel slip make me think you are a size TOO wide, and that you should try to go narrower. what happens to me, at least, is if a size is too wide, my foot wedges even more toward the front of the shoe than normal, causing 1) my pinky toe to slide forward and hit the side of the toebox/the side of the upper--a crowded feeling--and 2) the heel to be placed too far forward, exacerbating heel slip. it was only after this was explained on some thread here on styleforum that i realized some of my AEs are just too wide.

14. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

15. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.