1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Got it. Thanks.

2. MrGuy

MrGuy Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tassels for a Sunday morning at the office. I haven't gotten as much wear out of these as I would like. Trying to reinstate them into the rotation, but they seem to straddle the line between casual and dressy in an awkward sort of way. I think the natty cxl is casual, while the tassel is inherently dressy.

3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Now there is something you don't see everyday!. Thanks for sharing. I think you are wearing them in the appropriate context. That is the thing about tassel loafers. They can be somewhat dressy to somewhat casual, but neither extreme. The will move more towards the casual end of the spectrum as they acquire "character" with age. Love the safe in the background. (I can't blame you, I would keep those puppies locked up as well)

4. MrGuy

MrGuy Active Member

Ha! Perhaps I should, though that is not a shoe safe. There certainly are members here more deserving of a shoe safe. No shell yet... I've only bought Aldens on sales

5. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

For $650+ for a pair of shells @ retail, I can't accuse you of being unreasonable. I'd have an easier time calling myself unreasonable for having as many pairs of such shoes as I do.

6. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

It's difficult to tell because of lighting. Here are pics of mine...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mine doesn't seem as rich in color as yours, but the lighting may have an impact. I also haven't brushed or cleaned them up yet. With the summer heat and humidity still here in the South, I haven't touched or worn mine yet.

7. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Why so controversial?? Solid looking casual boot... enjoy often and in great health my friend!

8. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Out shopping with my wife today.
    CXL PTBs
    [​IMG]

9. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

[​IMG]

Scuffed while loading heavy road cases. Will this ever buff out?

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Easy peasy, aldenfan

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Great find! Gerstner machinist tool chests are fantastic. I've owned a knock off machinist chest for 10+ years now that I use for storage in my office. It's not the handmade quality of a Gerstner but its made in the USA of oak. It's larger than the portable version you posted. I originally used it for my watch collection straps, tools, etc. They were originally designed for tool and die makers in machine shops. A bit of trivia for you. The small mirror found on the lid of machinist tool chests was used in the event that a machinist (tool & die maker) got a piece of metal or other foreign matter in their eye. Guess they've been around longer than safety glasses. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  12. hideout

hideout Senior member

i missed the boat on these leffot offerings, anyone know of stores with similar offerings?

[​IMG]

13. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Definitely the same shoe. The 2nd shot seals it for me. I haven't worn mine either but I did apply some alden water protector and gave them a good brushing and buffing last night. Calling for a cold front with rain in Pgh tonight (after we spank St. Louis) and tomorrow. Might take em out for a spin. Thanks.

14. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I missed out too...and I love love love them. I'll probably old out for CXL PTBs from TSM. How's that for inside show jargon?

1 person likes this.
  15. i10casual

i10casual Senior member

I don't think anyone else is placing the shoe on a red brick sole right now.

16. ubiquiti

ubiquiti Well-Known Member

Picked up an American classic from Alden SF yesterday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  17. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I'm in tahn this weekend because I'm looking at a grad school tomarr. Good thing I brought my SWIMS and Defender!

Nice score! (Nice pics too!) A testament to why black shell is indeed [​IMG] after all.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  18. neilz4

neilz4 Well-Known Member

I recently purchased some Indy's from Leffot (CXL w/ commando sole) and received them at the end of August. I have been wearing them normally and have not subjected them to anything incredibly harsh--I've walked on some dirt/gravel paths, and only in very light water with them so far.

I went to condition them for the first time today and noticed that the rubber commando heel is separating from the stacked leather midsole. Pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I don't know if this is normal as far as Alden is concerned but these are expensive boots (my first pair) and I don't want this to turn into anything more serious with continued wear. Should I be contacting Alden about this?

19. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Pittsburgh is a well-kept secret in many quarters but really has a lot to offer. Fantastic value on houses, reasonable cost of living, and for grad students, 3 top-notch schools all within 5 miles of each other. CMU, Pitt, and Duquesne is about as good as it gets in terms of choices so close to each other. One notch down and you have Point Park and Robert Morris. All great options. Good luck and enjoy your visit.

20. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

I would contact Leffot immediately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.