• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

digga

Reaction score
Does anyone know the cost of the unlined PTB that are (or were recently) in stock at Alden DC. Interested in both the #8 shell and snuff suede.

Thanks

poena

Reaction score
from today. maiden voyage. color 8 perf cap toe

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know there was a bit of a #4 binge a year ago (the Atoms at Leffot and the Shoemart Boots) has anything else been done in #4 recently? I'm trying to decide if I should hold onto my Atoms.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ definitely hold on to the atoms, there haven't been any new offerings and it doesn't look like there will be any #4 coming out anytime soon. Even the Shoemart boots that were released had extremely limited quantities. I want to say probably less than a dozen pairs each for the WTB and the captoe boot.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Impromptu photo shoot with my color 8 PCT's. They are 7-8 months old and see wear about twice a week.

Per an earlier post, I went with a mirror toe last fall when they were fairly new. I eventually decided against it. They look much better now, IMO. They've lightened up quite a bit in spots. I like the contrast.

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a pair of the J Crew Alden longwing blucher in shell. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between this shoe and the standard Alden model? Thanks

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't believe J Crew has a LWB in shell.

Select J Crew stores in NYC stock the standard color 8 cordovan longwing. There is no difference between this shoe and the standard stock shoe.

Last edited:

Calikid

Reaction score
You should be the same size in the Trubalance and Barrie. Long wings are classic, and whether they would be ideal for a wedding or interview really all depends on you and on the circumstances. You can be sure #8 LWBs have been worn to both, and probably with pin stripes. There are gentlemen here who can offer more advice on pairing #8 with suits than I can. That being said, the style, with its heft and broguing, is on the less formal side as you mention. They are going to go very well with denim and chinos. And a black calf cap toe from AE is probably a good shoe to have in your wardrobe. Take care of it and you'll always have a conservative shoe when you need it. AE does go on sale too, so keep your eye out for that. You can sign up for emails from AE themselves, and Sherman Brothers offers sale prices too.

And speaking of, I definitely recommend visiting Sherman Brothers. It is a classy operation and, as I recall from the last time I was in the store, the Aldens had prices on the soles that were lower than those listed online. I think you may get a little bit of a discount for shopping in store (and no worries about sales tax when shopping in Pa., of course). The Philly guys on this thread may be able to confirm this.
+1
And I would bet that should you wear the #8 LWB to a wedding you will have nicer shoes than 99% of anyone else there!

david3558

Reaction score
Impromptu photo shoot with my color 8 PCT's. They are 7-8 months old and see wear about twice a week. Per an earlier post, I went with a mirror toe last fall when they were fairly new. I eventually decided against it. They look much better now, IMO. They've lightened up quite a bit in spots. I like the contrast.
Fellow Bostonian! Beautiful pics - gorgeous day out huh? Must be because it's my birthday :embar: How'd you get to the mirror toe and what's the routine now?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color 8 longwing on crepe isn't the only cordovan longwing j crew stocks - they also stock the regular longwing on double leather soles at certain stores. Some stores also stock a color 8 straight tip blucher (which is again identical to the standard stock offering)

Last edited:

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Select J Crew stores in NYC stock the standard color 8 cordovan longwing. There is no difference between this shoe and the standard stock shoe.

I did get them at the Rockefeller center store. I couldn't see a difference either, other than the insole mentions J Crew. Thanks for confirming that these are the standard model.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you guys think of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alden-Whisk...4745487?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item460d88468f

I am wondering if they are seconds. If they are recrafted, they look very good, they appear to be new. There is an "R" stamped on the sole.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I'd ask for more pictures. First quality these will be $730-ish and, in all seriousness, may not be available in the right size for months, even years, as first quality. And we all know first quality is a curious tag, at least with respect to how Alden defines it.

I've never bought a pair of Alden irregulars, but there are situations where one might consider it. Perhaps this is it. If the guy paid 399, and you pay 579, who cares if he makes some money? If you wait to get this shoe in this size on TSMs irregulars listing, you might wait a handful of years - no joke. Many times TSMs irregular listing has zero whiskey models, at least in many sizes.

Lots of guys on this thread talk of how exotics are hard to get, etc., etc. I suppose that is true, and certainly "hard to get" is relative, but, in my experience, exotics are not exceptionally hard to get if you diligently search and pounce once the opportunity presents itself. How many on here kick themselves for not pouncing when they should have?

As but one example, a few years ago I bought a ravello shell captoe blucher on ebay (very lightly used). I saw it; I pounced. It is one of my favorite Aldens. At the time no one carried that model, and to the best of my knowledge no has carried that model since. Side Note: today I am wearing his brother, the cigar shell captoe blucher from Alden SF.

The whiskey LWB is a grail shoe for many. It's not for me, but I do own it. It is very unique.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads