Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digga

digga Senior member

Does anyone know the cost of the unlined PTB that are (or were recently) in stock at Alden DC. Interested in both the #8 shell and snuff suede.

Thanks

2. poena

poena Senior member

from today. maiden voyage. color 8 perf cap toe

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013

3. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

I know there was a bit of a #4 binge a year ago (the Atoms at Leffot and the Shoemart Boots) has anything else been done in #4 recently? I'm trying to decide if I should hold onto my Atoms.

4. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

^ definitely hold on to the atoms, there haven't been any new offerings and it doesn't look like there will be any #4 coming out anytime soon. Even the Shoemart boots that were released had extremely limited quantities. I want to say probably less than a dozen pairs each for the WTB and the captoe boot.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Impromptu photo shoot with my color 8 PCT's. They are 7-8 months old and see wear about twice a week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Per an earlier post, I went with a mirror toe last fall when they were fairly new. I eventually decided against it. They look much better now, IMO. They've lightened up quite a bit in spots. I like the contrast.

[​IMG]

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I just picked up a pair of the J Crew Alden longwing blucher in shell. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between this shoe and the standard Alden model? Thanks

7. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Select J Crew stores in NYC stock the standard color 8 cordovan longwing. There is no difference between this shoe and the standard stock shoe.

9. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

+1
    And I would bet that should you wear the #8 LWB to a wedding you will have nicer shoes than 99% of anyone else there!

10. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Fellow Bostonian! Beautiful pics - gorgeous day out huh? Must be because it's my birthday :embar: How'd you get to the mirror toe and what's the routine now?

11. david3558

david3558 Senior member

12. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Picture looks okay to me. You realize it's got a crepe sole?

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

The color 8 longwing on crepe isn't the only cordovan longwing j crew stocks - they also stock the regular longwing on double leather soles at certain stores. Some stores also stock a color 8 straight tip blucher (which is again identical to the standard stock offering)

14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I did get them at the Rockefeller center store. I couldn't see a difference either, other than the insole mentions J Crew. Thanks for confirming that these are the standard model.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I'd ask for more pictures. First quality these will be $730-ish and, in all seriousness, may not be available in the right size for months, even years, as first quality. And we all know first quality is a curious tag, at least with respect to how Alden defines it.

I've never bought a pair of Alden irregulars, but there are situations where one might consider it. Perhaps this is it. If the guy paid 399, and you pay 579, who cares if he makes some money? If you wait to get this shoe in this size on TSMs irregulars listing, you might wait a handful of years - no joke. Many times TSMs irregular listing has zero whiskey models, at least in many sizes.

Lots of guys on this thread talk of how exotics are hard to get, etc., etc. I suppose that is true, and certainly "hard to get" is relative, but, in my experience, exotics are not exceptionally hard to get if you diligently search and pounce once the opportunity presents itself. How many on here kick themselves for not pouncing when they should have?

As but one example, a few years ago I bought a ravello shell captoe blucher on ebay (very lightly used). I saw it; I pounced. It is one of my favorite Aldens. At the time no one carried that model, and to the best of my knowledge no has carried that model since. Side Note: today I am wearing his brother, the cigar shell captoe blucher from Alden SF.

The whiskey LWB is a grail shoe for many. It's not for me, but I do own it. It is very unique.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.