• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al in Philly

Reaction score
Frank is right about Sherman Bros. and PA shopping. I live 5 minutes from Sherman Bros. and they always have their shoes cheaper in store than online. On top of that every Christmas they have an Alden trunk show sale. Which is usually 15% off their in store prices.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I really do appreciate all the responses, guys. I feel compelled to get a cordovan shell since the price is only a tad bit higher than the calfskin. That said, I love the #8 color. I always liked burgundy more than black and found it more versatile as well. So for the suggestion to consider Allen Edmonds for starting out, if I'm set on cordovan, I notice the price margin is relatively small between AE and Alden in this aspect so I may as well go with the latter, right? I understand the cap toe or PTB is most appropriate for a wedding and interview but I'm having a hard time resisting this LWB in #8... http://www.shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=1116&ProductId=208 I'm thinking these could be used a little less formally, getting more wear out of them, while still being worn at a wedding so long as the rest of my attire isn't off, i.e., wearing a pin stripe suit with them. My internships and interviews are at least six months away which'll give me more time to acquire a nice cap toe by AE. Also I wore a 10.5 on a trubalance in a plain toe boot.. safe to assume I'll also wear the same on a barrie? Sherman Brothers is only a two hour drive from where I live so a quick return wouldn't be difficult if need be. Thoughts?
Buying cordovan is the quickest conduit from interest to obsession known and it ain't cheap nor does it seem to be getting cheaper. There are many here who want nothing more than pull you down with them into their tortured whirlpool of rare colors an contrasting edge trim .Tread very carefully here danger lurks

jmemt

Reaction score
Hey Guys heads up I'm going to post in the classified a LNIB Ravello Longwing 8.5d Barrie from Alden DC. Own it for couple months. PM me if interested. Just thought to offer here first.
happy.gif
I am. Just sent you a PM.

IRONHORSE

Reaction score

Hey Guys heads up I'm going to post in the classified a LNIB Ravello Longwing 8.5d Barrie from Alden DC. Own it for couple months. PM me if interested. Just thought to offer here first.:happy:

Thank You! Violet1951..

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score
I have the 966 and I love it. It look a while to break in and get the heel to mold to my foot. But, once it did, I was very happy. It feels like a much stronger shoe than my Allen Edmonds Strands, etc. and the leather feels thicker and more sturdy. I also like the fact that the leather is an even tone and not burnished like an old door knob.
smile.gif

I just wish these were available in dark brown.

Thank you.

I don't own any light Aldens and am considering either a non-shell like the 966 or waiting to get on a ravello boot pre-order, which I know is highly unlikely.

I've never been into lighter shell but have read a few posts on here from guys who didn't understand all the hype until they owned a pair. Figured now would be the time to try to get a pair given all the rumors about shortages. And by now I mean in the next year or two.

With bright eyes and a substantial dose of realism...does anyone have any leads on a ravello pre-order? Would really love to get a captoe boot like the Unionmade Kirkwood or Day Tripper but I know this is nearly impossible.

Last edited:

david3558

Reaction score

I really do appreciate all the responses, guys. I feel compelled to get a cordovan shell since the price is only a tad bit higher than the calfskin. That said, I love the #8 color. I always liked burgundy more than black and found it more versatile as well. So for the suggestion to consider Allen Edmonds for starting out, if I'm set on cordovan, I notice the price margin is relatively small between AE and Alden in this aspect so I may as well go with the latter, right? I understand the cap toe or PTB is most appropriate for a wedding and interview but I'm having a hard time resisting this LWB in #8... http://www.shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=1116&ProductId=208 I'm thinking these could be used a little less formally, getting more wear out of them, while still being worn at a wedding so long as the rest of my attire isn't off, i.e., wearing a pin stripe suit with them. My internships and interviews are at least six months away which'll give me more time to acquire a nice cap toe by AE. Also I wore a 10.5 on a trubalance in a plain toe boot.. safe to assume I'll also wear the same on a barrie? Sherman Brothers is only a two hour drive from where I live so a quick return wouldn't be difficult if need be. Thoughts?
Winterbourne, as a soon-to-be-not-student - I've done the whole job search, interview, and internship gig. I saw that you wanted to wear a pin stripe suit with the LWBs but I'd advise against wearing a pin stripe suit to an interview. Find more subtle ways to stand out - but it surely depends on the industry and type of job. Finance and accounting, you gotta keep it boring man - hate to break it to you. Being in marketing, I've been able to add some nice details but I avoid going overboard. Usually I'll do a bolder tie - something like a brighter, powerful purple or a rich dark red/burgundy. Usually I'll pair that with a discreet tie clip to keep the ensemble together. You can't go wrong with a navy or charcoal suit, solid of course. David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads