***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I really can't tell what you mean by extra holes (which might be a good thing)? The welt should not be an issue as long as it's sewn intactly to the uppers.

From the natural edge I assume those are either #8 (Leffot's?) or cigar and not the standard 975. If so, it might take a while to get a replacement. If they are the former, in 6.5D, and you decide to let them go, let me know. :fonz:

2. Owlbass

Owlbass Active Member

Just out of curiosity what size to you wear in athletic shoes? I tried on a pair of 403 Indys at Unionmade and I was surprised that I fit into an 8d. I'm usually a 9.5. I should have tried more on because now I'm back in FL and I have the Alden bug real bad.

3. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

4. meso

meso Senior member

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I believe the R does indicate that they are seconds. If they are and if they came from the Shoemart, then the price is a good markup. Of course, supply and demand etc. If the defect is minor, then it is a chance to acquire a rare pair of gunboats. Good luck!

Edit: Meso brief and to the point, as usual. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013

6. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Yeah, they would have been $499. from Shoemart.

Looks like the left and right shoe may have slightly different colorways.

Also, be cognizant of what he's not showing in his pictures. Notice he is not showing the back heels for example.

7. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

I have the 966 and I love it. It look a while to break in and get the heel to mold to my foot. But, once it did, I was very happy. It feels like a much stronger shoe than my Allen Edmonds Strands, etc. and the leather feels thicker and more sturdy. I also like the fact that the leather is an even tone and not burnished like an old door knob. :)

I just wish these were available in dark brown.

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Go search the RRL thread for user dastig (aka Robert Shoettker). He's an SA at Chicago Ralph Lauren. He'll hook you up.

9. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

10. sazon

sazon Senior member

And every once in a while, the Black Shell gets to come out and play among its more exotic and rare cousins.
    [​IMG]

11. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

FIFY

Nice pair, though.

12. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Right, $399. Shoemart shell cordovan seconds. That auction is way high.

13. Winterbourne

Winterbourne Senior member

I really do appreciate all the responses, guys. I feel compelled to get a cordovan shell since the price is only a tad bit higher than the calfskin. That said, I love the #8 color. I always liked burgundy more than black and found it more versatile as well.

So for the suggestion to consider Allen Edmonds for starting out, if I'm set on cordovan, I notice the price margin is relatively small between AE and Alden in this aspect so I may as well go with the latter, right?

I understand the cap toe or PTB is most appropriate for a wedding and interview but I'm having a hard time resisting this LWB in #8... http://www.shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=1116&ProductId=208

I'm thinking these could be used a little less formally, getting more wear out of them, while still being worn at a wedding so long as the rest of my attire isn't off, i.e., wearing a pin stripe suit with them. My internships and interviews are at least six months away which'll give me more time to acquire a nice cap toe by AE.

Also I wore a 10.5 on a trubalance in a plain toe boot.. safe to assume I'll also wear the same on a barrie? Sherman Brothers is only a two hour drive from where I live so a quick return wouldn't be difficult if need be.

Thoughts?

14. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

#8 captoe boots. Nice sunny morning.

[​IMG]

15. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

You and Stevent make a good point. Spend the money on something you like and will wear often, Like a #8 LWB, and then just get a pair of Johnston and Murphy Black Strait Tip Balmorals for interviews and weddings.

We must warn you though, if you buy Aldens, especially in Shell Cordovan, you are very likely to buy several more pairs subsequently. They really are addicting, and you will come up with reasons in your head to spend another $700 on shoes you don't really need and won't wear often.

Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.