1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Love the detail of the red lining. Really nice touch

2. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Gentlemen - thanks for the input on the "blotch" issue with my recently purchased color 8 saddle bluchers -- really helped me to not do anything rash like pack them up and ship them back this morning or, alternatively, to start wearing and creasing them so that a return would be impossible. In looking at them more closely, the blotch doesn't appear to be a flaw in the cordovan, but looks more like they applied coloration more to that area (which could also mean there's a blemish that they wanted to conceal). I'll try to get Alden's take on the situation and then proceed from there.

Alcibiades - great pick up. That red interior reminds me of the linings in a couple of my blazers -- they're so nice that they were part of the reason I got the jacket.

3. NYDRH

NYDRH Senior member

Agreed. Enjoy them Alci, and wear in good health

4. unipair guy

unipair guy Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We still have some of these left. Barrie last crepe sole. Great boot for fall.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

^^^^ The original post that I was responding to ^^^^

He didn't ask, I was the one that asked after he made the above comment in bold. I apologize for projecting his claim upon your answer. AE does have an MTO program that's relatively easy.

6. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

You bought a shoe on a clearance sale that no one wants! [​IMG]

Just kidding my friend... Your tassels look great; a fine score. I probably would have given it a try at that price if the size were correct and it if it were in fact shell cordovan. Wear often and in great health your tassels.

On another note, I seriously doubt J Crew and Alden are buying up all of the available shell. How is it so easy then, to buy all of this shell from other producers that are so superior in quality and finish, not to mention doing an AE MTO in various shell colors?? Not sure I understand what "legitimate" means in your statement. Are you suggesting an antitrust investigation?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have Carmina shell, shoes and boots. The Carmina boots were $900. I prefer Alden going away.

My last Carmina's were returned - the difference in fit between the right and left shoe was laughable.

8. Rishi Kakar

Rishi Kakar Senior member

Sheer beauty! Wear in good health my friend/

9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Unionmade has a nice new Indy boot :)

10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Carmina has never really appealed to me. I agree Alden has its faults which I have vented about in the past. However when Alden gets it right, they get it right. I have yet to see shell from anyone that rivals the depth of color 8. While their construction can certainly be picked apart, their dying process is about as good as it gets IMO. Value is subjective and difficult to truly quantify. I can only say that I have no regrets about forking over my hard earned money for my alden boots calf or shell.

11. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

agreed. which is why I have five pair I think, all with varying levels of depth depending on usage.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

+1. I sold my burgundy shell Carmina wingtip boot. Didn't really like the forest last and the shell lacked the depth of my #8 wingtip plaza balmoral. The fact that alden shell is so much easier to care for also factored into the decision

13. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Thanks for the heads up. Love that snuff suede/red brick sole combo.
    It looks like they also have a reverse chamois PTB (which I believe they have stocked in years past).

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

I think I have 4-5 alden #8 shell and each is aging differently. The differences are starkly visible. jcrew boot is turning a red color, wingtip has looked brown from the beginning, another has maintained that dark, velvety eggplant depth, while another is a combination of all of the above depending on the environment

1 person likes this.
  15. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

NAMOR, does Carmina use Horween shell? If so, is it produced to different specifications than other shoe makers?

16. bespoken pa

Yes carmina uses horween. Alden's secret is in the dying process.

17. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

Thanks B. Is that something that Alden actually does itself, or does Horween dye to Alden's specifications?

18. bespoken pa

Alden itself.

1 person likes this.
  19. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

Random morning thought: has anyone done a PCT boot in chromexcel? Looking at Unionmade's Hanover model, I'd prefer to have this done in CXL; a nice makeup anyway

20. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Just to echo everyone else, Alden cordovan just tends to look better and "deeper" than other brands. I've observed many great cordovan pairs from many manufacturers; basically none had the amount of glow Alden typically has. I have a pair of Rider black balmoral captoe boots, and Alden black captoes win going away due to the glow of the cordovan. I've seen Edward Green cordovan pairs, and while well built, Alden's cordovan glows more. "Glow" and "depth of color" are not the only considerations but is a very big ones when buying cordovan

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.