***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Where can Lobbs be had for just a little over Alden calf prices?

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Same dude. Check the who is for AOC.
    http://www.praxeology.com/

3. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Ok guys, I might be ready to take the plunge. Confirm a couple of things for me, please:

1. Plaza fit: 8.5d Barrie/Trubalance, 9d Grant ---> Plaza 9D, right?

2. Are there any other currently available Plaza boots or shoes that might be worth considering? I'm especially interested in hearing about cigar, ravello or whiskey shell, as I already have the grant color 8 cap toe boot from DC and am still unsure on the redundancy factor related to buying a second color 8 boot.

3. How does all this work with VAT taxes and duty charges? How many times will my credit card be run? How hard is it to deal with having import fees returned, etc.? I'm asking because I've discovered a nice way of keeping dear wife from getting anxious and upset over this Alden spree: Visa Vanilla gift cards!! They have been working mostly like a regular card, but I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't hit a snag...

4. Promise you guys will stop me if I attempt to make a boneheaded purchase in the next month or so. Other Aldens on the brain include: snuff suede unlined loafer, unlined chukkas, Epaulet brixton boot in natty cxl, and the natty longwing I was obsessing about yesteray (still unsure on the leydon vs Barrie question or if it's easier to think of that as a leffot vs epaulet vs shoe mart question).

Thanks for your help!

4. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Spoken like a true addict.

Are you still wearing your shell cordovan on your feet? or have you started to inject it in to your arm yet?

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah just buy them now man, FransBoone service is top notch, really should buy the brass jumper but he said shell is lighter #8 which I don't like

Barneys sales always has a few pairs, Malford did as well, Leather soul comes out to a bit more but they have some still on sale now, Lobb store in South Coast Plaza has 40% off sales, etc.

6. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Alden NY did the same thing a few months ago. I too suspect this is only for cigar, ravello, and whiskey.

7. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

interested in getting my first pair of aldens. looking at the LHS in ravello or whiskey but am reading about this shell shortage. Is it still possible to source the LHS in ravello or whiskey?

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I'd just use PayPal with my cc.

Frans Boone should just charge you the price less vat plus shipping.
    As long as they fill out the customs form correctly you shouldn't get hit with any import duty.
    You might get hit with a FedEx fee around $25. That's assuming they use FedEx. UPS is similar fee. DHL is around $12. I've never been charged the fee when there's no duty to collect. YMMV.
    FedEx and DHL will deliver your package and bill you later. UPS is COD.
    FedEx made fill out an importer of record form a few times. It's kind of shady in that it requires SSN but it's a legit form. Search the CBP website.

9. stanford88

stanford88 Senior member

Alden of Carmel did the same thing a few months ago.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

But like so many sales, by the time they are heavily discounted, they are either models no one wants, or they are in sizes no one wears. But of course a guy can get lucky from time to time ....

11. sevenfoldtieguy

The likelihood of either of those being readily available is remote at best, whether now or in the future.

12. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

What exactly does this mean? Are you getting cash and purchasing Visa prepaid debit/gift cards to pay for your Alden purchases so they don't show up on credit card statements? If so, I can't believe I didn't think of this myself... genius! [​IMG] You and I need to join AA!!

13. sevenfoldtieguy

I have ordered from him once and gave some thought to ordering a second time. The experience is curious if nothing else.

His no crease policy has been debated many times - with, I think, most finding it absurd - but at least he's up front about it.

14. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

ah really? do they go fast or just not enough supply in those colors?

seems like #8 is easily available from what I can see. Does that become more eggplant looking with time?

15. kinetic758

kinetic758 New Member

Read a few posts back about someone getting a pair of Aldens that seemed "tried on" due to the fact that the laces were already in the shoe.

Just curious: have your Alden's arrived with the laces completely separate? I recall that the last two pairs I received had the laces in only the first hole (both left and right).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.