• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
+1 Sqroot3

"The saddle shoe is a low-heeled casual Oxford shoe, characterized by a plain toe and distinctive, saddle-shaped decorative panel placed mid foot."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddle_shoe

Definitely blucher saddles as well though Oxford/balmorals may be more common/traditional.
I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the balmoral is defined by its construction. While saddle shoes and balmorals both have lacing underneath the eyestays,the vamp on balmorals runs underneath the lacing whereas saddle shoes have their middle piece sewn onto the vamp or have the saddle section visibly separated by stitching. Thus, with saddle shoes, the saddle section is always on top of the rear quarter and the front vamp, creating a different stylistic relationship to the quarter and the vamp than the balmoral, which is always part of or underneath the front vamp.

Obviously, I could be completely wrong on this, but I'm certain that I've heard from reasonable minds elsewhere that this is the truth? And BTW, what's Styleforum without a nice Sunday-morning debate??

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score

I will let you know about it on black shell in a few weeks when my black shell captoes arrive, I ordered them just for that purpose although for wear with Navy suits not a tux. I posted about using Saphir Navy Blue #6 wax on black calf a couple of weeks ago here

If one of my men showed up with blue polish on his shoes for a general inspection I would fail him for being out of uniform. But for special details like colors or burial detail as long as every man did it I was OK with it, even preferred it. In bright light like the tropics or some sandbox somewhere the shoe looks like it is layered with alternating colors of black and blue. In fact for the first 10 years or so I thought that was how it was done. But it is just 2-3 coats of blue on top of black. And inside in 60 cycle sunlight it does somehow look more black but also still has depth. It is hard to get pictures to capture it accurately. In the end it is well worth it IMO.

Exactly the reply I was looking for. Thanks for the post and your Leeds look great.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who knew? Alden makes cordovan belts. Question is, where to buy? From their print catalog:
I know that the Shoe Mart sells alden cordovan belts, but they are really expensive. Hard to get colors, eg. Ravello and cigar etc., are perpetually out of stock. Best solution would be Allen Edmonds because they're more readily available and, best of all, cheaper.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know that the Shoe Mart sells alden cordovan belts, but they are really expensive. Hard to get colors, eg. Ravello and cigar etc., are perpetually out of stock. Best solution would be Allen Edmonds because they're more readily available and, best of all, cheaper.

Good call, I think I'll take a trip to my local Allen Edmonds store since I'm looking for some dress belts.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you saw this but I came across Navy, Brown and Snuff suede unlined chukkas for 40% off last week at David Wood Clothiers in Portland, ME. A couple of folks here ordered by phone. They had limited sizes but you never know...
thanks again for the PSA..

sadly, my navy chukkas are a bit too snug, will probably sell them off.. if anyone is an 11.5D and was looking to get some navys, hit me up.

Dbc0919

Reaction score
+1 Sqroot3

"The saddle shoe is a low-heeled casual Oxford shoe, characterized by a plain toe and distinctive, saddle-shaped decorative panel placed mid foot."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddle_shoe

Definitely blucher saddles as well though Oxford/balmorals may be more common/traditional.

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the balmoral is defined by its construction. While saddle shoes and balmorals both have lacing underneath the eyestays,the vamp on balmorals runs underneath the lacing whereas saddle shoes have their middle piece sewn onto the vamp or have the saddle section visibly separated by stitching. Thus, with saddle shoes, the saddle section is always on top of the rear quarter and the front vamp, creating a different stylistic relationship to the quarter and the vamp than the balmoral, which is always part of or underneath the front vamp.

Obviously, I could be completely wrong on this, but I'm certain that I've heard from reasonable minds elsewhere that this is the truth? And BTW, what's Styleforum without a nice Sunday-morning debate??

Ah. . . I see what your saying and you're correct but, as illustrated below, a saddle is by definition, an Oxford/balmoral.

From Oxford dictionaries British and World English:
noun
an oxford shoe with a piece of leather in a contrasting colour stitched across the instep, typically black or brown on a white shoe.

Oxford US English and Websters dictionaries also both define a saddle as an Oxford.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Ah. . . I see what your saying and you're correct but, as illustrated below, a saddle is by definition, an Oxford/balmoral.

From Oxford dictionaries British and World English:
noun
an oxford shoe with a piece of leather in a contrasting colour stitched across the instep, typically black or brown on a white shoe.

Oxford US English and Websters dictionaries also both define a saddle as an Oxford.
Roger. Thank you for the clarification. Well...I guess I should say now that, IMO, bar lacing looks proper on ANY balmoral, including saddles.
mwink[1].gif

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Color #8 Cordovan Jumper Boot: $675, ETA: April 2013
Dark Brown Suede Tanker Boot: $525, ETA: Jan. 2013
Vintage Jumper Boot: $515, ETA: Just Arrived
CXL Ultimate Indy: $525, ETA: Feb. 2013
Plaza Color #8 Chukka: $655, ETA: Just Arrived
Plaza Black Cordovan Chukka: $655, ETA: Just Arrived
Plaza Color #8 Cordovan Slip-on Chukka: $655, ETA: Feb. 2013
Black Calf V-Tip: $495, ETA: Just Arrived
Color #8 Cordovan V-Tip: $645, ETA: Just Arrived
Black Cordovan V-Tip: $645, ETA: Just Arrived
Burgundy Calf Gore Slip-on: $475, ETA:  2013
Black Rodanil Calf Gore Slip-on: $475, ETA:  2013
Color #8 Cordovan Double Gore Sip-on: $655, ETA: In Stock(limited sizes)
Black Cordovan Double Gore Slip-on: $655, ETA: In Stock(limited sizes)
Burgundy Calf Attorney Shoe: $475, ETA: In Stock(limited sizes)
Color #8 Cordovan Plaza Plain Toe Oxford: $625, ETA: Jan. 2013
Black Cordovan Plaza Plain Toe Oxford: $625, ETA: Jan. 2013
Loden Green Plaza Penny Loafer: $475, ETA: Jan. 2013
Navy Suede Plaza Monk Strap: $495, ETA: Jan. 2013/March 2013
Snuff Suede Plaza Monk Strap: $495, ETA: March 2013
AC Alpine Wingtip Boot: $535, ETA: March 2013
Brown CXL LHS: $495, ETA: March 2013
Color #8 Cordovan SF Boot: $695, ETA: March 2013
Black Cordovan SF Boot: $695, ETA: March 2013
Tobacco Chamois Ultimate Indy Boot: $525, ETA: March 2013
Color #8 Cordovan 4 Eyelet Blucher: $625, ETA: March 2013
Black Cordovan 4 Eyelet Blucher: $625, ETA: March 2013
Brown Alpine Grain V-Tip: $495, ETA: March 2013
Black Alpine Grain V-Tip: $495, ETA: March 2013
Snuff Suede Safari Boot: $575, ETA: April 2013
Tan Suede PT Boot: $545, ETA: June 2013
CXL Tanker Boot: $575, ETA: June 2013
Burgundy Calf Flex Chukka Boot: $525, ETA: June 2013
Black Calf Flex Chukka Boot: $525, ETA: June 2013
Cognac Calf Flex Chukka Boot: $525, ETA: June 2013
Snuff Suede/Alpine Brown Saddle Oxford: $525, ETA: June 2013
Blue Suede/Tan Vegano Saddle Oxford: $525, ETA: June 2013
The following currently have no ETA and limited size availability:
Color #8 Cordovan Plaza Indy Boot: $695
Plaza Captoe Boot: $675
Tan Suede Longwing: $495

Received a lot of pm s regarding LS preorder list thought I would just post it.

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Well....new question...anyone know any stores that have any cigar/brown shell balmoral cap toes in 9D or 8.5 D? I'm in the market....

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks again for the PSA..

sadly, my navy chukkas are a bit too snug, will probably sell them off.. if anyone is an 11.5D and was looking to get some navys, hit me up.

That's too bad. Glad some people took advantage. It's nice to give back as I've learned so much here.

Potato Flu

Reaction score
I have a pair of Alden 403 (brown chromexcel) Indy boots and I scraped the toe of one of the boots on some concrete, creating a small light grey square on the tip of the boot. Is there something I can do to cover it up or darken it?

Saphir Renovateur + appropriately colored shoe cream will pretty much erase the damage.

Example:

Thanks, your photo looks amazing.

Does anyone know what colored/kind of shoe cream to use for the Alden 403? The color seems kind of unique.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not very promosing to see the suede longwings I pre-ordered 15 months ago as still having no ETA...I am considering eating the $100 and buying from Leffot to have them for spring and summer

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score

Thanks, your photo looks amazing.

Does anyone know what colored/kind of shoe cream to use for the Alden 403? The color seems kind of unique.

you can probably just use reno or minkoil after the reno and with enough brushing the pigment will move around enough to cover the mark. i just brush my indy's for 5 mins after each wear and any scratches are invisible after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads