Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

those saddles are looking excellent

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013

2. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

I'm still trying to nail down my correct size on the Barrie last. Just plopped down a deposit for 9.5 E black cordo LWBs from Leffot. 10 D are a tad long and a tad narrow. Keep in mind that I wear a 10.5 D or 11 D in "normal" American sized shoes. Naturally, the idea of going from 11 D to 9.5 E is not something that sounds logical. I really do not understand while Alden won't make this shit easier by standardizing their sizes. I'm going broke just trying to find my damned size.

3. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

These are beautiful. All #8?

4. captainfalcon

captainfalcon Senior member

How does black cordovan age?

Will it fade/change colors over or does it stay jet black?

5. tommyhk

tommyhk Active Member

Sizing over the internet is a complete crapshoot. If you can you should try to find any Alden retailer in your area to go nail down a couple of your last sizes. Shipping alone can be a major bummer on the wallet :(

Just for your Barrie sizing reference, I Brannock at 9.5D/Eish and the 8.5D Barrie fits like amazing.

6. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

never tried leydon out.. has anyone found the suede chukka to be forgiving (in terms of possibly sizing down .5 from your TTS)?

have a pair coming from the davidwood sale posted earlier this week, hoping they wont be too small

tia!

7. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Thanks, man. I'd love to walk into a brick and mortar retailer and try on a variety of sizes. Alas, that may not be possible until I've tried via mail order every possible size variation.

8. keithp3521

keithp3521 Senior member

Personally, I find the Leydon last a bit narrower than standard American size equivalents. But my foot is just over the line of a D width. I find most D widths comfortably snug, but the Leydon was too much for me. I went with the same length but in an E width. The Barrie last is a whole 'nother ball of nuts.

9. hypomnema

hypomnema Senior member

+1. I ordered 8.5d in Leydon (I'm an 8d in the Barrie). I used the method and am on my second day of wear. Wishing I had waited for an 8.5E. NRO sale was just too tempting.

10. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

rats, seems I might have to put these chukkas back up for sale. got a good deal on them, will just pass on the savings.

thank you gentlemen

11. tommyhk

tommyhk Active Member

Double concur. I just recently got fitted in the Leydon unlined chukkas at the local Alden. My 8.5 D Barrie feet convert super comfortably into 9 E on the Leydon while a 9 D was literally a pain.

The point where the lacing is stiched to the vamp is a lot stiffer than the rest of the unlined chukka. And for some reason it falls right on the arches of my feet in a D width, which yields the most uncomfortable type of rubbing. Maybe it was just the wonkiness of my own foot structure, but the comfort of the 9D vs the 9E was like stinging nettle vs teddy bear stuffing.

EDIT : Okay maybe that is a bit of hyperbole, but for being $470 suede chukkas they better be damn comfortable.

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Don't count them out yet.

I have slightly wide & high volume foot but I fit comfortably in the suede Leydon last chukka TTS. I'm a 10.5D in Barrie and my suede chukka is an 11D. I owe it to the fact that's its unlined, suede and a blucher. I was so tempted to buy the navy or dark brown chukka at David Wood. David mentioned that the navy was a special makeup but didn't sell well. Perhaps Portland, ME isn't ready for navy suede yet.

Damn, now you have me reconsidering and picking up the dark brown. They come in at something like $285!

13. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Yep - all various ages (bb captoes are oldest and tassels are newest)

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

That's glorious. While I love the exotic colors, it just goes to show how beautiful "basic" shell can be.

EDIT: Well, that said^, why is #8 traditionally the "cordovan" color? I know many people who refer to that oxblood color as "cordovan" without any reference or knowledge of horse leather.

15. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

yea for the price I figured I'd give them a shot. if they don't work, I'll try and flip them for the same price. no harm, no foul

would have preferred snuff but no stock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.