***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digga

digga Senior member

2. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

It's actually very little wax, just many, many very thin layers and buffed with a bit of water.
    Also, no wax on the upper other than the toe cap. A bit of Reno and a ton of brushing.
    Sure, here are the images I posted last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Couldnt agree more. The cap toe begs for a mirror toe. A sacrilege to post AE's here but the mirror toe can work on a plain toe as well. You just have to be careful to keep excess wax off the vamp.

I keep finding these images of mine used in eBay auctions for this AE model. I'm sure the buyers must be surprised when they open the box and the shoes looking nothing like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  4. Countingsheep

Countingsheep Senior member

Someone needs to do the jcrew boot with a 360 welt in ravello or cigar. :slayer:

I know some have come close (daytripper, DC's cigar on grant) but not close enough for my taste.

5. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

Not sure how to give due props for this. But it does bring one thing to mind...look where it got Benjamin:

6. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

This is basically what the Thor boot with Alden DC will look like if Alden confirms it. Cigar shell PCT boot with all eyelets, Barrie last, double leather sole, and I believe it will have a 360 welt.

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

That does sound about perfect. Hope it comes to fruition. I know some folks don't care for the perforated cap but I like it. It's a nice balance between formal and casual.

Fingers crossed!

8. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I've bought from Need Supply a few times and have always been happy with the results. I will agree that their prices are pretty good, especially for items that never seem to get marked down at retailers like UnionMade or Context Clothing.

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I've owned the 1494, suede chukka in tan for a few years now. I really love them. The standard 149X chukka is unlined, leydon last and has the flexwelt sole. It makes for a sleek, lightweight shoe that I find perfect for air travel. They are easy to don/doff for TSA and are super light and comfortable.

I was considering adding the snuff version when I came across the J. Crew makeup. It differed in that it was a Barrie last and had a crepe sole. I took a chance and ordered them. Obviously the barrie last is much less sleek but I wanted to try the crepe sole. I thought it would be more versatile for wet weather at my destination and more like a desert boot. The big surprise upon receipt is that are lined. That was a big disappointment. The unlined chukka makes it slipper-like in its comfort. The fact that it was lined wasn't a deal breaker but certainly disappointing.

I was on the fence and considered a return but after a week wearing them indoors I decided that I'd keep them. In the end, for a rubber soled suede chukka, there may be better options than this makeup. However, given that I was ordering online the fact that I know my sizes in Alden was a factor compared to unknown in a different make.

For reference, here a couple of pics to compared the two. Note the difference in length between the tan leydon (11D) and the snuff barrie (10.5). I was also surprised at the wear on that leather piece on the toe portion of the sole. I've read others here that were shocked at how quickly it wears (i.e., Roy boot). I'm not sure if it will have an impact, but it's worth mentioning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 925

925 Well-Known Member

new arrival from TASSELS

[​IMG]

All Weather Reversed Tobacco Chamois Longwing with crepe sole :nodding:

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Thanks for this post The J Crew Ludlow store has a tan version of your snuff boot that i am considering... J Crew tends to line their suede chukkas, which can be annoying, but that's what they have traditionally done. Church's does a very strong suede desert boot on crepe (Sahara), but that is similarly lined. Outside of mocassins like Quoddy, unlined suede is the exception, not the norm.

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Appreciate the feedback. When I mentioned that this makeup may not be the best choice for a suede, rubber sole chukka, I was thinking specifically of the Sahara as a viable alternative. They were even on sale in the 'Mud' color at Herrings recently IIRC.

13. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

J.Crew Ravello LWBs for Friday!

[​IMG]

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Leffot has another run of the color 8 tanker boots up for preorder. There are also some black longwings available

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.