1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digga

digga Senior member

From your other posts I feel like we have similarly "widish" feet, mine are just a size or two smaller.

Did you size up a half size from 1000 mile to the J crew cap toe boot? Do you wear an E width in anything? Just trying to decide if I should give these boots a shot even though they don't sell them in an E.

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I'm sort used to it now.

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I measure 11D but am slightly wide and slightly high volume/instep. I take a 10.5d in the 1K and most Barrie last shoes, but I had to go 11D in these cap toe boots. I've never gone up to an E but don't buy real narrow shoes either. For instance, AE's #5 last is long and narrow but I can get away with a D if they are bluchers.

4. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

[​IMG]

This is all the shell I have for now. Still looking.
    I never polished the Cigar caps which have a mild differentiation in color. Lets say I do and try to even the vamp color. Will I be able to apply reno to remove the wax and have it looks as before, or does polish permanently darken shell?
    Thank you

5. Briar Snob

Briar Snob Senior member

Ditto. Same with black. I think it just depends on one's comfort and preference as I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a white saddle shoe, but have seen lots of gents (especially in Atlanta) pulling it off superbly.

6. Briar Snob

Briar Snob Senior member

I was there last Saturday and fell in love with that shoe, which Joe is having made in my size. They also had this beautiful unlined black and #8 cordo ptb that is perfect for summer.

7. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Nice Socks!

8. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

+2 for coming up through the first eyelets

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  9. Organika

Organika Senior member

Wow I want those LWB with natural sole. Very nice.

10. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

I ordered some indy boots from The Shoe Mart. Sadly it seems Cigar Shell is no more, which is what I really want. I decided to try the #8 Shell and the dark brown Chromexel, with the intention of returning one.

The Chromexel is extremely supple and soft and extremely comfortable right out of the box. The shell is extremely stiff by comparison.

Will the shell ever be as soft as the chromexel? For those of you who have had your shell boots for a long time, did they start very stiff? Did they soften up?

I'm still in the air over a color 8 boot. Seems...odd. I'm not sure how well it will dress down with my weekend/afternoon attire. I really would have preferred Cigar.

Also, the shell boots have lace holes all the way up while the chromexel has hooks. The hooks make it way easier to lace up and to take on or off. What are your opinions on the hooks vs holes?

I appreciate your feedback.

11. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I have #8 indys, they definitely softened up after a handful of wears. left foot even more so than the right, I assume from the clutch ..

mine have speedhooks, but regardless of hooks/eyelets, you could just wrap around your ankle instead (I normally do this with my 403s)

12. Organika

Organika Senior member

That is quite a job. Do you have the original photo without the contrast adjustment? I don't believe I have seen too many shines like this.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  13. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

High contrast is teh business right there. Props on your mirror shine - I've not yet seen that "risked" on shell before. Most cordo fans would abhor putting that much wax on, but the shine and slight bullying is a great touch. Mind sharing your application method with us?

14. brostymie

brostymie Active Member

Seems like kathy of Alden DC is whom most of the forumer approach for a realistic chance of placing a pre order on whiskey or cigar shell. Appreciate if someone could share with me email of kathy as I am staying in a very different time zone so uts hard for me to give her a call. Tks

15. Countingsheep

Countingsheep Senior member

+1

Doubt it would work so well on any thing but a brouged cap toe. The style of boot and the shine go together here beautifully. Each is kind of a "showcase" for the other. Well done sir

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.