• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A rare selection indeed, share pics and wear in good health!

It's true, though if you're not looking for a balmoral or monk, that leaves PTB, CTB, LHS, full strap penny, and tassel. Of those, I'm personally drawn to PTB, CTB, and LHS.

I had to call them today to get it sorted out.  Turns out my card expired, had it renewed with my new zip, and had to make a new account on their website since they redesigned it a few months back.
 They told me you have to create a new account to add the card, not sure if thats true, but they said I couldn't add my renewed card to my existing account.

Edit: as you said in your post...

A good reminder to myself to READ BEFORE POSTING!

Yeah, for some reason it seems impossible to add a corporate account to an existing BB webpage account. Note that I figured all of this out by troubleshooting it on my own. I'm glad you were able to get more assistance from customer service than I was.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went back and forth on this. I may call to inquire tomorrow, but at least online the LHS was not available in my size. So, I went with what might be an unconventional choice on this thread: the #8 cap toe blucher. On the formal end of the spectrum within my needs, but assuming sizing works out, I think they could be a nice addition.

Alden shell captoe bluchers are wonderful dress shoes. The Alden for BB color 8 captoe blucher is one of the best Aldens offered by BB. And it's on the rarely used snap last. Good choice.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just saved my Dad $200 bucks on a new pair of Unlined LHS from BB using the 30% corporate discount.  Got myself a pair of Mocha Kid Suede Tassels.  We'll see how they look in person, they might be too flamboyant for me.  However, I've never bought a pair of Aldens and then decided against them on arrival.

icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Edit:  Looks like they may have left them up on the website, in case anyone forgot to add them to their cart before midnight.

I think you will find the mocha kid tassels are more understated than you might think. Enjoy.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got them at Alden San Francisco.  They even have a cool little San Francisco stamp inside them.

Agree about the commando.  It is barely noticeable, super light and obviously provide great traction.  And thanks I can't wait to try these out on the streets!

Buy them up!  I'll probably be using 2013 to stock up on a variety of #8 models, while waiting for the possibility of brown shell in 2014.

Commando is great, especially for boots.

Any year is a good year for color 8. Some of Alden's best models are its stock models.

str1185

Reaction score
Tonight I grabbed some shoe trees, 2 cordovan belts, color 8 lhs, and captoe bluchers ... . Thanks for the heads up. I wish there was more in my size but probably better for my wallet that their wasn't... I even tried calling in earlier in the evening to see if they could just back order some items and the customer service rep told me they had no dates in there system, so they can't do anything for me. I really wanted the color 8 ptb!

Thanks again for the tip guys!

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden shell captoe bluchers are wonderful dress shoes. The Alden for BB color 8 captoe blucher is one of the best Aldens offered by BB. And it's on the rarely used snap last. Good choice.
Is the snap less sleek than the Aberdeen last used for the Alden version? If so, it would make it a little more casual and therefore more conducive to Papa Doble's purposes as I understand them.
I think you will find the mocha kid tassels are more understated than you might think. Enjoy.
That is good to hear.

If you look hard at the picture (this version might not be large enough) it looks as though the shoe in the back has the heel stitching that the other BB Tassels have. I'll be interested to see if mine have that upon arrival.

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score
I was in Alden DC last week and was looking at the unlined suede plaintoe bluchers on flex. I tried on the snuff and Kathy told me that color would lighten over time. She showed me a pair of insane snuff loafers she's had for several years that have faded to almost a tan. They were scuffed and banged up and were super rad. She wasn't sure if the dark brown would lighten too. Anyone have a pair and can comment?

Ideally there would be a medium brown color, which I'm guessing is the purpose of snuff, but I'm unsure if it's too orange for me. Wondering if anyone's had similar thoughts before getting the snuff and if you've warmed up to them after a while?

digga

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, unfortunate they have no E widths... Oh well, guess the Cigar longwings that are on the way to me are probably enough for now.

Does anyone know how long the Brooks Brothers corporate sale is going on, or is it already over? A little late to put some Alden's in the cart, but I need a jacket.

Dr. D

Reaction score

Thanks for the link, unfortunate they have no E widths... Oh well, guess the Cigar longwings that are on the way to me are probably enough for now.

Does anyone know how long the Brooks Brothers corporate sale is going on, or is it already over?  A little late to put some Alden's in the cart, but I need a jacket.

The Brooks 30% corporate sale is today only.

The next one should be in October.

Otherwise, there will be a friends and family sale (25% off) next month. And then a big clearance sale after father's day in June (although there may not be a huge discount on shoes at that sale).

Todd V

Reaction score

Tonight I grabbed some shoe trees, 2 cordovan belts, color 8 lhs, and captoe bluchers ... . Thanks for the heads up. I wish there was more in my size but probably better for my wallet that their wasn't... I even tried calling in earlier in the evening to see if they could just back order some items and the customer service rep told me they had no dates in there system, so they can't do anything for me. I really wanted the color 8 ptb!

Thanks again for the tip guys!

My size in the LHS is never in stock. I'm tempted to give the 7B a shot...but 7C is what I'm after. Not sure I feel like loosing out on all the shipping...

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is the snap less sleek than the Aberdeen last used for the Alden version? If so, it would make it a little more casual and therefore more conducive to Papa Doble's purposes as I understand them. That is good to hear. If you look hard at the picture (this version might not be large enough) it looks as though the shoe in the back has the heel stitching that the other BB Tassels have. I'll be interested to see if mine have that upon arrival.
The snap is typically equated with the hampton and aberdeen, both in sizing and appearance. I would bet your suede tassels will have the heel foxing. Keep us posted.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hear ya.  I'm sure I'll love them if I ever get a pair.  No offense but for now, the chukka will have to wait behind a wingtip boot, LHS, BB wingtip bal, and a BB PTB (not necessarily in that order) before I'll purchase one.  i might even throw in a suede LWB in there too.

I went through with the sale of the ravello chukkas as I have a pair of dark whiskey chukkas that are well broken in and fill that role in the wardrobe nicely...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads