***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

got my first commando soled boots today (LS alpine grain wingtip)

kinda want commando sole on everything now [​IMG]

2. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

Cigar PTB
    Cigar Indy

3. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

Personally, I would go for all of the LWBs before one Chukka.

4. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I'm a huge fan of the Cigar LWB. Haven't caught on with chukka love.

5. tommyhk

tommyhk Active Member

Doubled my Alden collection today. Added a pair of sweet cordovan Indy.

#8 Cordovan Indy (Barrie Last/Double Leather Sole)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some bad news for Alden cordovan lovers though. I initially went into Alden SF today to try out some Whisky LWBs as well as the above cordovan Indys. The SA (Robert) sadly informed me that they no longer had my size available in the Whisky LWBs (8.5D). Now here is the kicker. As he helped me try on the Indys we starting chatting about the lack of brown cordovan lately and he informed me that the order of Whisky LWBs they just got would be their ONLY shipment of brown cordovan for the rest of the year! (Note they got the Whisky cordovan in mid Feb.) No ravello, no cigar, no whisky for the rest of 2013...

Now I am unsure if he just meant Alden SF or all of Alden, but from what we talked about it seems like Alden just doesn't have any cordovan on hand.

And while I'm mentioning the staff at Alden SF, I can not speak more highly of them. Robert was more than helpful in sizing me and even offered to help me knock out a size in their Unlined Suede Chukkas (Leydon last), even though I wasn't planning on buying a pair today. We talked about our similarly wide-ish feet, and he got me into a few different pairs to perfectly figure out my size in the "unique" last (I'm a 9E). We chatted about the upcoming baseball season, the 49ers we lost to free agency and the huge number of people in their catalog who shared the same name as me. Service was outstanding, knowledgable and personable. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

6. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

I am a teacher. Of English. :nest:

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

One or two chukkas are essential - they are classic Alden IMO. Color 8 and cigar chukkas are excellent... Any of the suede versions are great as well. Few of my Alden shoes get more compliments than chukkas...

8. sazon

sazon Senior member

Thank you kindly!
    Great looking boots. I was going to jump on those as well but the pull tab put me off. The scotch grain looks awesome on a NST.
    Doubled my Alden collection today. Added a pair of sweet cordovan Indy. #8 Cordovan Indy (Barrie Last/Double Leather Sole)
    Awesome Indys. Where did you get them?

9. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Commando sole gets knocked on a bit in the thread. I think it's fantastic. So low profile you can barely notice it.
    Looking great w/ those. Major bummer about the "shell shortage."

10. ReppTiePrepster

Y'all gotta stop posting info like this^^. It just makes me buy more with the fear I won't be able to acquire what is currently in stock. [​IMG]

Wife just shakes her head with helpless disbelief after each color 8 shoe comes in mail. In her view, ravello and cigar are much too similar to purchase each in the same model. And color 8 is just about the same. Not sure much Alden will be in my 2013 future anyway. Hopefully there will be more brown shell in 2014. [​IMG]

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

To be fair, while "rare" shell is rarer than it used to be, retailers seem to still be able restock models like LWB, PTB and chukkas on a semi regular basis. In 2013 we have seen cigar Indy and PTB, whiskey LWB and chukka and ravello LWB and chukkas all restocked.

12. ReppTiePrepster

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

13. tommyhk

tommyhk Active Member

Got them at Alden San Francisco. They even have a cool little San Francisco stamp inside them.

Agree about the commando. It is barely noticeable, super light and obviously provide great traction. And thanks I can't wait to try these out on the streets!

Buy them up! I'll probably be using 2013 to stock up on a variety of #8 models, while waiting for the possibility of brown shell in 2014.

14. ReppTiePrepster

Sounds like a good plan tommyhk... Not sure I've ever seen a color 8 shoe I didn't like. [​IMG]

15. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

+1 for Robert. Also nice Indys!

If what you say is true, maybe that explains their smug attitude about the defective whiskeys mentioned earlier. Explains, but not excuses.

They [retailers in general] said the same thing in August/September about Ravello, and 3 months later hundreds of pairs of Ravello shoes left the factory. I guess only time will tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.