• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alpina

Reaction score
Agree that the Day Trippers are more unique but I much prefer the comfort of the double leather sole of the Wingtip boot over the Day Tripper's single leather sole.
Once one gets around to a recrafting, will Alden replace a single leather sole with double?

Go Yankees!

Kwaker

Reaction score
My AE Leeds come with JR soles. I haven't found them to be more durable than the soles on my 975 or Officer Indy.

As for comfort, I think the variable is what's beneath the leather insole. My double-soled AEs and Aldens are much more comfortable than my double-soled Florsheims (made in India). I attribute that to the cork underlayer used by AE and Alden ... I have no idea what Florsheim uses, but I do not find their footbeds do not mold to one's foot.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how The Shoe Mart's website works? It seems like every pair of Alden's shows some note about you have to call them to see if they actually have it. Is there a way to tell if it's actually in stock on their website?

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the size you're looking for is in stock, it should let you add it to your cart and check out online. If you keep getting the message about calling the store, it most likely means that the sizes you're looking for are out of stock.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yet another reason to go with B Nelson.  It's too bad they don't have the waterloc soles, but in the long run, I think the JR oak soles are superior on durability and comfort.

BNelson has had waterloc soles for the last 6 months or so.

hefner

Reaction score

Agree that the Day Trippers are more unique but I much prefer the comfort of the double leather sole of the Wingtip boot over the Day Tripper's single leather sole.

I agree. I have both and greatly prefer the wingtip boot. It is a more substantial, rich-looking and interesting boot.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If the size you're looking for is in stock, it should let you add it to your cart and check out online. If you keep getting the message about calling the store, it most likely means that the sizes you're looking for are out of stock.

The message, as I understand it, means TSM doesn't have it at TSM (in stock), but may be able to readily get it from the factory (and most likely with direct shipment from the factory). And they contact the factory after you call to inquire. If the site doesn't allow you to add it to your cart, and you get no message, it means that TSM does not have it, and that TSM cannot readily get it from the factory.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leffot has the black alpine longwings on crepe up for preorder... I've debated this shoe for a few years now, but now that I can get it in E I may order... It's one of their more popular makeups and seems like it would be a great shoe for casual fall/winter wear whenever you have anything black on (black sweater, outerwear, etc)

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The message, as I understand it, means TSM doesn't have it at TSM (in stock), but may be able to readily get it from the factory (and most likely with direct shipment from the factory). And they contact the factory after you call to inquire. If the site doesn't allow you to add it to your cart, and you get no message, it means that TSM does not have it, and that TSM cannot readily get it from the factory.

Thanks.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the Ravello discussion:

Personally, I love WT Boots. However, I also love captoes.

Because you can achieve the WT look with Ravello LWBs, I would keep the Captoe day trippers since I don't remember seeing a clean plain toe shoe in Ravello (Perhaps one is out there??)

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On the Ravello discussion:

Personally, I love WT Boots. However, I also love captoes.

Because you can achieve the WT look with Ravello LWBs, I would keep the Captoe day trippers since I don't remember seeing a clean plain toe shoe in Ravello (Perhaps one is out there??)

This would be my exact same reply

You can get a clean plain toe look via ravello PTBs or chukkas, but I find Alden's captoe boots to be a of a sleeker look (particularly on the grant last, which the day trippers are). IMO the captoe boot on the grant last is one of Alden's best makeups (looks great in black, color 8, ravello, cigar, etc0

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads