Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevent

stevent Senior member

United Arrows, pretty sure they only ordered up to 9.5

Good to hear man, I need to get on something like this

Find solid toes work best for boots, and depending on other shoes for trees

Jos A. Bank sales have solid tress at $7 or so during the sales

2. stevent

stevent Senior member

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I love how natural CXL ages and darkens. Yours may end up looking much closer to the brown over time if you prefer the darker color. I think they are developing a nice rich patina. IMO natural CXL has more depth than brown CXL but it takes a while to get there.

I recently picked up Oak Street's trench boot in natural CXL. It's coming along nicely but it's only been a couple of months. For reference:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Natural CXL varies quite a bit to begin with IMO. I had those Oak Streets in house and they were much darker to begin with. Also the recent Epaulet batch almost has a lot of cool grey tones to it. Here are my Rancourt loafers after some Mac love
    [​IMG]

5. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Great looking boots! How do you like them? I love the red laces. J Crew just confirmed yesterday that mine are on the way. As always, wear in good health.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

6. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

They're not mismatched at all, just boots with character.

7. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Did he/she explain the rationale? Not sure I get why the need would be different for shell when most are lined anyway. Which manufacturer is he/she with?

I'm curious... [​IMG]

8. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I think it depends on the last. Full toe good for van/lhs. Probably wouldn't be good for aberdeen tassels.

9. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

My cobbler put a size larger tree in my shell short wings, with a split toe. He maintains that you want cedar to contact as much leather as possible and no worries about shell stretching so you can have the added pressure. The tree is large enough that the split in the toe stays together, so in that sense it does not matter if it is split toe or solid.

I can get the same tree on Amazon as from my cobbler, I only bought a boot tree on Amazon it has a higher arch to fill the toe box height. Footworks cobbler does not have those boot trees, he says he will shave down a larger size tree to fill a shoe - I own sand paper too if thats what works best I will DIY. My Citishoes Aldens came with a split toe tree and it is very small compared with my other trees but it does fill the shoe and maintain pressure all a round , with the exception of the toe split area. When you get into such exacting specs I feel like I must be talking to an Audiofile - they just obsess over trivial matters since the gear cost so much.

10. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Nat CXL is one of my favorite leathers. Not to derail this thread, but curious to know what you guys think of these boots. How are they comfort wise compared to Alden boots?

11. Resistant

Resistant Senior member

Frans Boone has a Nat CXL boot that is really great. They were a very popular boots when I was a kid.

12. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

alpine grain is more of a crosshatch texture, and kind of gives me the heeby jeebies.

scotch/pebble grain, on the other hand, has a bigger pattern with a pebble

13. alexandchau

alexandchau Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hi All, I'm new to Alden and these are my first shells (also my very first post!). I'm looking forward to breaking them in with the Mac method. Thank you all for your informative posts! Left to right - Cigar PTB from Alden NYC, Ravello LWB from Alden DC, and Color 8 LHS from Sherman Brothers.

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

No worries but Steven @ Leffot typically orders standard sizes so if you want the boots I'd recommend reserving a pair. It does take time but the Day Trippers are great especially because they are on the Grand and are on single waterlock. Speaking of Leffot: [​IMG]

15. Don L

Don L Senior member

Cigar Grant Caps today

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.